Home Main Category General Firearms

New beater gun on the way

JayJay Senior MemberPosts: 3,789 Senior Member
I have never wanted a Smith and Wesson M&P. I use my Glocks and Kimbers. But a damn enabler friend sent me the link from Palmetto State Armory offering the M&P Shield for $199.99. Even without the real desire to own one, I ordered it anyway. I don't own a compact 9mm.

The gun was actually $274.99 and shipping was free. There is a $75 rebate on it, so in the end it is a $200 pistol. I've fired one of these guns before. Not real impressed, but there's nothing really all that wrong with them either. Just never really did it for me. I figure if I decide not to keep it, getting my $200 back out of it should be no problem at all. If I keep it, it'll be my beater gun. Probably be a truck gun, put it in my backpack as a backup gun when out running around, etc. My EDC Kimber has been getting a little beat up. Holster wear and range use. Which is fine. That's what I have it for. But I'll try to leave it in the safe a little more and beat the Shield up instead.

Might even consider picking up one of these for it to see what happens.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/789654/apex-tactical-action-enhancement-trigger-kit-s-and-w-m-and-p-shield-9mm-40-s-and-w-aluminum-black

Pics to avoid the fine when it gets here.
«1

Replies

  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Oh man, I have been watching those Shields in 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP with and W/O external safeties, great deal. I have a Ruger LC9s and have no need for one. Can't beat those low prices from PSA and a couple other joints too.

    Crap, those are cheaper than a stinking Taurus and you get a S&W.........can't beat that with a stick.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    Yeah. If it was just the $274 selling price, I'd have passed. The $75 rebate bringing it down to $200 pushed me into it. I spend more than that at the grocery store. I can live on Ramen and Mac&cheese for a couple weeks... :jester:

    One of the things I wasn't real impressed with on the Shields I shot before was the trigger. That's why I'm curious about the trigger kits for it.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,217 Senior Member
    Yep I just bought a 9 mm no safety. Added a talon grip which helps quite a bit.

    The .45 version is much "grippier" and doesn't need the talon grip.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    JKP wrote: »
    Yep I just bought a 9 mm no safety. Added a talon grip which helps quite a bit.

    The .45 version is much "grippier" and doesn't need the talon grip.

    Have you fired it yet. If so, first impressions please.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    I recall having an issue with the factory trigger safety when I've shot them before. The trigger is 2 pieces, with the bottom half of the trigger hinged to disengage the trigger safety when the trigger is pressed. I tend to grip pistols as high as possible, which occasionally put my finger too high on the trigger to disengage the safety well enough and I had to make myself place my finger lower on the trigger to make it work. Probably just because I'm used to Glocks, where that is not a problem. Looks like the aftermarket triggers solve that problem, essentially replacing the M&P trigger with one that more resembles a Glock trigger.

    As far as the way the gun shot and functioned, they seem like they shoot just fine. I was never super impressed with them, but never really disliked them either. Guess I'll find out more when I get some rounds down range out of it.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    He said it's on the way chief

    You should like it. People I know that have both prefer the glock 43 but not by much.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    My LC9s has a good trigger for the kind it is. I think it is the only striker fired pistol I own with that 'Hangy Down Part' you must depress then pull the trigger.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    He said it's on the way chief

    You should like it. People I know that have both prefer the glock 43 but not by much.

    JKP already has one in hand.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,680 Senior Member
    I bought a Shield 9mm used for $375 OTD 3 years ago and thought I got a good deal. It's been my EDC ever since, albeit with some refinements along the way. Though I'm switching to a G19 for EDC soon, I'll be retaining the Shield for "NPE" and "deep concealment" use.

    2f15d8fb4421317f848dcb68accd7987.jpg
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    I enjoy shooting mine even with +p ammo. I can shoot the same ammo from my full size M&P and it's not that much difference in recoil. A little more but not bad.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

    -- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I love my Shield 9; it was the first one my LGS got in a few years back. Carries great under a t-shirt, shoots great, never had a single problem with it.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

    NRA Endowment Member
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,217 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Have you fired it yet. If so, first impressions please.


    Yes. Probably about 250 rounds down range so far. Like any smaller pistol you have to "learn" the best grip. What I mean is I don't pick it up and feel like it is fitting my hand well like perhaps a Glock, Walter PPQ, and other full sizes double stack guns.

    My first 50 or so rounds grouped well but were consistently left. I quickly figured out that I was using too much trigger finger and needed to adjust my grip a bit. Adding the talon grips helped also.

    Still not overly proficient with it but it has fed and fired everything to date. I will probably give the pistol to one of my daughters as they have both shot it a bit with good results.

    I swore off S&W auto loaders back when I bought a Sigma when they were first introduced but so far I've been pleasantly surprised with the Shield especially when considering the price.

    Hindsight being 20/20 the .45 might be the better option. My buddy just picked one of those up and it has a better grip texture and fills the hand a bit more. You lose one round of capacity but to me that's a fair trade off for the benefits.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »

    I tried that with mine, but the trigger itself is what finally made it right for me, because it moves the break forward.

    I filed and sanded the sear, and that helped some. Then I replaced the sear with an Apex kit, and that was still better. Then I replaced the trigger, and that made all the difference I needed to make it fit my 'trigger pulling mechanics.'
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    The factory trigger on my Shield is what closed the deal. I had already installed an Apex Duty kit in my M&P45, and the Shield trigger felt a bit heavier but almost as crisp. I'd try it first before you change it.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

    NRA Endowment Member
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,754 Senior Member
    got mine yesterday!
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    I bought a Shield 9mm used for $375 OTD 3 years ago and thought I got a good deal. It's been my EDC ever since, albeit with some refinements along the way. Though I'm switching to a G19 for EDC soon, I'll be retaining the Shield for "NPE" and "deep concealment" use.

    Thanks. What trigger is that you have on yours and what's your thoughts on it, if you don't mind?
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    I tried that with mine, but the trigger itself is what finally made it right for me, because it moves the break forward.

    I filed and sanded the sear, and that helped some. Then I replaced the sear with an Apex kit, and that was still better. Then I replaced the trigger, and that made all the difference I needed to make it fit my 'trigger pulling mechanics.'

    Thanks for the input on the trigger. Glad to know they are an improvement over stock. They are a bit pricey, at over $180 for the whole kit. Almost what I spent on the gun itself.....
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    The factory trigger on my Shield is what closed the deal. I had already installed an Apex Duty kit in my M&P45, and the Shield trigger felt a bit heavier but almost as crisp. I'd try it first before you change it.

    I will definitely be doing some shooting with it before I replace the trigger and all. The gun fund is beyond depleted right now, so buying parts will be a while anyway. If I put a few hundred rounds out of it and decide it's good enough for what it is, it might just stay that way. If the trigger is too bad or if the way the hinged trigger safety thing works bothers me, it will probably get a new trigger. If I decide to keep it in the long run, anyway.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    bellcat wrote: »
    got mine yesterday!

    Saw your post on that. Cool. Glad you're liking yours so far. I'll post up a little review and range report on mine when I get it.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    It made it to my FFL yesterday. Nothing spectacular to see. Just a plane ol' Shield. But pic to avoid the fine.


    F3D338FE-A215-436B-831C-30DAB8E1CB60_zpslzpqenkk.jpg
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,680 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    Thanks. What trigger is that you have on yours and what's your thoughts on it, if you don't mind?


    It's an Apex trigger and so far I like it. It's flat faced and makes the breaking point further forward for the user.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Once you get the Apex kits installed, it is no 'beater.' I consider mine a quality firearm, with the Apex parts. I had a fairly low opinion of it, until then, because I liked my XDs.45 so much more. Now, it's pretty much even-steven as to which one I will stick in my pocket, before leaving the house.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    It's an Apex trigger and so far I like it. It's flat faced and makes the breaking point further forward for the user.

    Thanks. I figured it was the Apex. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks for the feedback.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    You are making it VERY difficult for me to keep ignoring the damn PSA emails :cuss:

    Just passing on the enabling my buddy did to me that caused this purpose.... :tooth:
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    Once you get the Apex kits installed, it is no 'beater.' I consider mine a quality firearm, with the Apex parts. I had a fairly low opinion of it, until then, because I liked my XDs.45 so much more. Now, it's pretty much even-steven as to which one I will stick in my pocket, before leaving the house.

    What makes me consider mine a "beater" is the $200 cost. Not that the gun is sub par, necessarily. For $200, I don't mind it taking a bit of a beating as a carry or truck gun.

    One thing I'm hearing on the Apex triggers is, it moves the reset or breaking point forward. If I'm understanding this correctly, it requires longer movement after each shot to reset the trigger? That seems less desirable to me. I'd rater have a shorter reset. Am I misunderstanding this? The first shot breaks quicker, but subsequent shots require a longer reset to get back to that forward reset point? Or does the trigger stop shortly after breaking and there is a short trigger reset?

    That's actually one of the things I prefer about Glocks. The first shot has a lot of takeup, but subsequent presses require short movement for reset and you get a relatively crisp trigger break for each shot after the first.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    No, the reset is fine. Think 1911.

    The reset is taken care of nicely by the sear kit. The trigger itself has a different hinge point, or something in its design so that the whole trigger action is moved forward. Mine feels very similar to the single action trigger on my 1911, which I like.

    A friend brought his Glock 43 the last time I went to the range, and we both agreed that the Shield with the expensive up grade was superior. He has small hands, and mine are XL glove size, but he still liked my trigger best. I liked the Glock a lot, but the trigger break was too far to the rear for me to have the trigger ergonomics I need for precise shooting.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    No, the reset is fine. Think 1911.

    The reset is taken care of nicely by the sear kit. The trigger itself has a different hinge point, or something in its design so that the whole trigger action is moved forward. Mine feels very similar to the single action trigger on my 1911, which I like.

    A friend brought his Glock 43 the last time I went to the range, and we both agreed that the Shield with the expensive up grade was superior. He has small hands, and mine are XL glove size, but he still liked my trigger best. I liked the Glock a lot, but the trigger break was too far to the rear for me to have the trigger ergonomics I need for precise shooting.

    OK. Thanks for clarifying. I also found a video on youtube showing the difference. I get it now. The description I've seen about moving the reset point forward just confused me.
  • JayJay Senior Member Posts: 3,789 Senior Member
    A few of my thoughts on the Shield so far. I have not fired it yet. I will on Friday when I go to the range. But I did work with it (unloaded, of course) in my living room last night to started getting familiar with it.

    1. The issue with the trigger I recalled earlier in this thread is still a factor for me. Several times while going through some drills, I placed my finger too high on the trigger and could not make it press back. I have to make myself put my finger lower on the trigger. I'm thinking an Apex trigger kit is going to be mandatory for me if I keep this gun, just for this reason. The improved trigger operation will just be a bonus.

    2. I will need to buy at least a couple more of the 8 round mags with the extension on them. For one thing, I don't like the grip I have with the flush fitting 7 round mag. Sure, it' would be a little easier to conceal. But that's not a big worry for me. Also, while practicing empty gun reloads with it, I created a nice blood blister on the bottom part of my right palm. That thing pinched the crap out of me when I went to drive it into the mag well. I have to drive the shorter 7 round mag hard to get it to seat. The extended 8 round mag seats much easier. Besides, 8+1 is better than 7+1.

    I'll see how it goes when I take it to the range on Friday. I'll put a few hundred rounds out of it and give it a good workout.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Jay wrote: »
    A few of my thoughts on the Shield so far. I have not fired it yet. I will on Friday when I go to the range. But I did work with it (unloaded, of course) in my living room last night to started getting familiar with it.

    1. The issue with the trigger I recalled earlier in this thread is still a factor for me. Several times while going through some drills, I placed my finger too high on the trigger and could not make it press back. I have to make myself put my finger lower on the trigger. I'm thinking an Apex trigger kit is going to be mandatory for me if I keep this gun, just for this reason. The improved trigger operation will just be a bonus.

    2. I will need to buy at least a couple more of the 8 round mags with the extension on them. For one thing, I don't like the grip I have with the flush fitting 7 round mag. Sure, it' would be a little easier to conceal. But that's not a big worry for me. Also, while practicing empty gun reloads with it, I created a nice blood blister on the bottom part of my right palm. That thing pinched the crap out of me when I went to drive it into the mag well. I have to drive the shorter 7 round mag hard to get it to seat. The extended 8 round mag seats much easier. Besides, 8+1 is better than 7+1.

    I'll see how it goes when I take it to the range on Friday. I'll put a few hundred rounds out of it and give it a good workout.

    This was my issue, as well. I have the same issue with all subcompacts except the XDs.45 and the CZ RAMI.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement