Home Main Category Clubhouse

Passing the Torch...

pjames777pjames777 Senior MemberPosts: 1,421 Senior Member
Today this Grandpa got to pass on a little self reliance to my second grandson twenty years of age. He's overcoming an addiction problem and his compass seems to be working better. So today, after struggling with his 1997 Olds 88 overheating and running poorly, I taught him to replace the oil, oil filter, air filter, plugs, wires and PCV valve. Additionally, work on an exhaust leak in his head gasket, added some bars leak to the radiator. Car hasn't overheated in a week and is holding water! ($2.00 fix). Next is the brake job. Two mechanics told him to drive it tell it drops and not put any money into it. Car has 175,000 miles so they have a point, but until he's fully back on his feet keeping car working (delivering pizzas) is pretty significant. I over saw the work, helping with just a couple of items, teaching him the workings and manipulations of the tools he used and such but he did 80% of all the work. Asked him how it felt to accomplish something new...GREAT!

Brakes are next on the agenda and maybe some suspension work...struts/shocks.....what a treat being able to pass on a little sweat equity to my grandson. Called to tell me that his car ran very well on the 45 mile trip back home. Water temp never went over 220 degrees (actual gauges not an idiot light) on a 92 degree day!

:applause::applause::applause::applause:

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Looks like you are teaching him some good stuff and helping him get some self reliance and confidence. I hope he stays clean and makes you and the family proud.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,497 Senior Member
    Some of my earlier cars ran on Bars Leak. Good life experience.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Pride in a job done, and done well, is a good motivator and lifter of spirits. Good to pass on things like that, for many reasons. Hope this and other things you can pass on will help him kick the problems he's having to the curb for good. :up:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • coolgunguycoolgunguy Senior Member Posts: 6,624 Senior Member
    Good for you, great for him!

Unless that Olds has been abused, it is very possible to get another 100K and maybe more out of it. I wouldn't hesitate to do any of that work on it, especially if I'm providing the labor myself.
    "Bipartisan" usually means that a bigger than normal deception is happening.
    George Carlin
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,844 Senior Member
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,564 Senior Member
    Well done "gramps" :up::applause:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,132 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Kind mentoring and positive personal accomplishments are essential for a good recovery. Good for you grandpa! :cool2:
    X3. Months of therapy can't accomplish the same thing.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,046 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    X3. Months of therapy can't accomplish the same thing.

X4
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    coolgunguy wrote: »
    Good for you, great for him!

Unless that Olds has been abused, it is very possible to get another 100K and maybe more out of it. I wouldn't hesitate to do any of that work on it, especially if I'm providing the labor myself.

:agree: Even better...his labor! :applause: Going to see if I can find a "pick and pull" A/C compressor or an inexpensive rebuilt for the car as well. Poor kid delivered pizzas last week in out 106+ degree heat wave of nine days!
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    Well done, Grandpa!

1960's 'urban survival skills' should be considered essential for every boy. It gives them confidence and self-reliance that will serve them throughout a long life.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,421 Senior Member
    So just when I was feeling cocky about myself, yesterday the wife and I are out doing surveys of homes for her clients and we park on this steep driveway to check out a home. Come back to the car and I can't get the steering wheel to unlock! Trying to relieve pressure on steering wheel, nothing, try rocking the car a little, nothing. 10 minutes of frustration. Call tow company and told an hour to come out. Hot outside, hotter in the car and I'm chagrinned that I can't get this to work. Look down on her seat and see this little blue fuzzy bear on a key ring.....DUHHHH. Tried starting HER car with my keys! Didn't tell her how I got the car working until we got home last night! :win:
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I would tell you some of the stupid things I've done, but I'm still trying to forget them.