Home Main Category General Firearms

Son want's to visit firing range, thoughts?

2»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 23,110 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    Who cleans a pistol in a bedroom?

That's what my late father claimed he was doing when his Security Six discharged and took out a shower door and damaged several walls! :yikes:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 10,903 Senior Member
    Guys- hold off on the tar and feathers. Not everyone lives in front of a computer screen talking about guns. He may be back, he may not be. Whatever- this is a good reference for anyone who may search for this question in the future
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,600 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Guys- hold off on the tar and feathers. Not everyone lives in front of a computer screen talking about guns. He may be back, he may not be. Whatever- this is a good reference for anyone who may search for this question in the future

:agree:
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,364 Senior Member

:that:

Me too! There are such people out there. They are usually those that have never held a gun. I suspect, if this guy is for real, and I have no reason to doubt he isn't at this point, that he is very inexperienced. We need to be converting non committed to gun guys one at a time. The fact that he said he was cleaning his pistol tells me he may be very new to the cause. We just don't know yet what or who he is. Give him the benefit of the doubt and if he's for real he may be back. Some of the best guys on this forum were not gun guys when they came. If we give him the benefit of the doubt and he turns out to be a blatant anti-gun Dummycrap mole, so what? He hasn't taken one dime from us and what propaganda he acquires is already out there. So we can afford to give him a chance. It won't kill us.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Guys.............................. Not everyone lives in front of a computer screen talking about guns. He may be back, he may not be. ..........

He did find the time to make a comment on Bigslug 's post "Today, 09:06 AM" my time;
    Tom-my gun wrote: »
    That's a very very nice rifle you have there. It reminds me of the old western movies, brilliant

But not respond to the replies on his own post?

Also his time of posting is a bit odd. 08:59 AM the first and 09:06 AM the second, BST.

Is not that quite late or very early for you over there?
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    It's about midnight or a little later his time. That is a time when a lot of folks are looking up personal stuff in their computers, specially if they have kids keeping their daytime hours busy.

I was thinking more Brit journalist office hours.

PS.
    Especially the repeated phrase "you guys".
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    He's already 13 and hasn't gone shooting yet? What are you waiting for? You're about 5 years behind the curve. I started shooting at 8, Dear Ol' Dad bought me my fist rifle when I was 12, my first handgun when I was 13.

Get with it Pops. If he lives his life on your schedule he won't be driving until he's 30 and who knows if he'll ever get laid.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,244 Senior Member
    Absolutely, AFTER a sit down at home with a lesson on gun safety. You may even down load the NRA's "Eddie Eagle" video just for starters. I introduced shooting to my grandsons when they were 8 and 9.5 years old. Told them anytime they want to see grandpa's gun and handle them when visiting they could. That lasted three visits! Curiosity was gone and by then a healthy respect for firearms had been established. YOU are the best instructor at this age, aided by online lessons. Good luck and remember, you are starting a lifetime connection and building strong memories.

Patrick
  • HAWKENHAWKEN Senior Member Posts: 1,720 Senior Member
    Thank you for asking. You have been given some good advice, here's some more: Enroll that young man in a Hunter Safety class. Even if he never goes hunting the instruction is valuable. They teach about firearms, how they work, and how to handle them safely. The cost is low, sometimes free. I shot my first gun at age 6 and had my own at age 10, but was not allowed to take it out by my self until age 14. Keep yer powder dry.......robin
    I don't often talk to people that voted for Obama, but when I do I order large fries!
    Life member of the American Legion, the VFW, the NRA and the Masonic Lodge, retired LEO
  • Tom-my gunTom-my gun New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    The photo is just there to color the page up a little. I am asking about taking him for his first time down at the range, how would I have a picture of him already there???? think about it. But seriously, I'm just a regular guy, not a gun expert so please cut me a little slack I've just got here. Keyboard warriors or caged pit bulls? I dunno....

Anyway, I am over the moon that some of you have replied with useful comments. The fact that a lot of you have started a lot younger than my boy makes me feel a lot better about getting him involved. I have a strong belief that he is responsible enough to handle a firearm under my supervision. Also getting him on a 22. rifle like this one http://www.used.forsale/canada/22-rifle then visiting the range with me and an instructor sound like and awesome place to start. If he really gets into the range and enjoys it then I will be more than happy to get him into other activities

I am going to break the news to him tonight and then set something up for us at the weekend to go and view/test some rifles. Crazy how quick they grow up.

Thanks for the replies guys, After I have finished dodging your next round of bullets I will be back haha
    Tom-my gun wrote: »
    The photo is just there to color the page up a little. I am asking about taking him for his first time down at the range, how would I have a picture of him already there???? think about it. But seriously, I'm just a regular guy, not a gun expert so please cut me a little slack I've just got here. Keyboard warriors or caged pit bulls? I dunno....

Anyway, I am over the moon that some of you have replied with useful comments. The fact that a lot of you have started a lot younger than my boy makes me feel a lot better about getting him involved. I have a strong belief that he is responsible enough to handle a firearm under my supervision. Also getting him on a 22. rifle with me and an instructor sound like and awesome place to start. If he really gets into the range and enjoys it then I will be more than happy to get him into other activities

I am going to break the news to him tonight and then set something up for us at the weekend to go and view/test some rifles. Crazy how quick they grow up.

Thanks for the replies guys, After I have finished dodging your next round of bullets I will be back haha

I already cut you some slack. I figure if you aren't who you say, it will come out in the wash and it won't cost me a dime to be nice. So welcome. The truth be known any one of us when we were nubies could have been Anti Gun Moles or Libtards. But seeing that you came back I figure you're just who you said you were. Take that boy to the range and don't buy into the popular Anal crap the tree and bunny huggers spread around.

But seriously, if I were you first thing I would do before taking him to the range is call the NRA up and ask about trainers in your area, or also you can call your local Department of Wildlife whatever they call it where you are, here in Texas it's Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, and ask where you can get him a Hunter Safety course. They teach Safety as well as baseline stuff about hunting. That is a course both you and your son can sit through. I give the credit for suggesting that to Hawken. He suggested that first. I used to be a Hunter Ed Teacher for 15 years. Whatever you do get him some certified safety training first. Then take him to the range. Since he's already 13 or 14, I'd get him a good single shot or bolt action .22 LR Rifle. Teach him how to shoot that first. The Ammo's cheap and he'll learn all the fundamentals of safety and shooting. Remember Safety first. Drum the rules of Firearm Safety into his head where he can recite them back to you. It's important. But along with all that, make it fun for him and he will stay with it. Be safe and take care, and come back.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • pjames777pjames777 Senior Member Posts: 1,244 Senior Member
    Welcome to the club...and please don't clean your gun in the bedroom! Wrong kind of bang for that area! :rotflmao:
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,476 Senior Member
    Welcome
    A lot of good info out there.
    Once again i wish happy times for you and your son.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,210 Senior Member
    If you are talking deer hunting and the only pic you post is a clip from Bambi, the cred bucket is less than full.

"I was wondering if I should take my kid hunting where I go hunting?"
    515?cb=20160614120622

Not real effective, and a little hard to believe. Although, it is the EXACT tactic that more than one anti hunter/gun person has used to try to spoof this board pretty much down to the cadence of the writing. Most figure that all hunters are stupid rednecks and while a lot of can claim redneck status, the rest of the stereotype is hardly correct.

If you are on the level, dont wait. Print out the golden rules. Break out a rifle if you have one, and start tonight. You have to get the mystery out of their little pea brains ASAP and replace it with "Never point the muzzle at anything you are not willing to destroy."
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,793 Senior Member
    Glad you came back.

Get enrolled in some safety classes, then get him familiar with guns. Don't make them a mystery, taboo, or behind- closed-doors situation. That's what gets kids into trouble with firearms.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    SIGgal wrote: »
    We belong to a local range where they will give hands on instruction, perfect for kids. I would suggest a safety course for anyone first, start small and work up in caliber. I'm a new shooter when it comes to handguns and I'm probably smaller than your 13 year old lol. Time, supervision and training are the name of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice SIGgal.
  • Johnny rebJohnny reb Member Posts: 567 Senior Member
    There never too young too learn about firearms and firearms safety. he's 7 now and he's pretty good shot with that little cricket.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    My son is twelve.
    He has handled and dry fired every firearm I own, and shot every one he thought he'd like to.
    I never force him.
    I always let him handle the guns if he asks first and circumstances allow. This removes the mystery.
    He knows all the safety rules and understands the consequences of lethal negligence.
    All guns are always loaded, finger off the trigger.
    I taught him with toy guns first believe it or not.
    Safety glasses, hearing protection etc.
    I listen to my son. If he don't want to its okay. If he wants me to do something different, sometimes I do. YMMV.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Just a heads up, but 80% of a hunter safety course is firearm safety (the rest is hunter ethics). They are certified instructors and put them on for very cheap or free in the next couple of months. Mt step daughters at the time insisted that they didn't want to hunt so they didn't want to spend a weekend at class, but it didn't matter to me since most of the class was about gun safety. I insisted that they go and do not regret that decision-- it was one of the few that their biological father had my back on.

My kids? Yea... first thing, they learned about handling and safety. Young-- like 5 or 6 years old. They are 14 and 16 now and I am not worried at all about guns around the house. It doesn't even register to them anymore-- they see a gun and just don't care. If they do care, they automatically check to see if it is loaded and keep it pointed in a safe direction.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Tom-my gunTom-my gun New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    Well, I'm glad to see you guys are lightening up a little. You must get some real pieces of work on here! and if it was my writing that put you off I am sorry my English writing is terrible. I broke the news to my son and I wish I had a camera, the look on his face was brilliant. I will be back Saturday after the first visit to the range and let you all know how it went down.

Thanks again
    Just like any hobby or sport, shooting is just the same-- safety is very important. Once the safety is there, it is very enjoyable. Since your son is (12? 13?) he should be well within the age to accept proper safety instructions.

There shouldn't be any reason to be a safety Nazi, just keep your eye out and keep things fun. Reactive targets are great-- I am not sure what you can do at an indoor range, but if you clean up after yourself, you should be able to do stuff like balloons, full pop cans, and clay pigeons at an outdoor range.

I hope you and your boy have a great time!
    -Thomas Paine
    Oh, and so it is known... any time my son wants to play with/shoot/fondle/molest a gun, all he has to do is ask. I have the same terms for my daughter, but he is hella more interested than she is. The point is to take away the mystic so he doesn't sneak around my back and turn it into a teaching moment.

When I was a kid, I had a classmate blow his head off with a 44 mag. I am betting that he was curious, he had no clue how to handle it and didn't understand the danger. As a parent, I want to fulfill their curiosity and teach them how to handle firearms safely.

In 3 or 4 more years, your kid will learn to drive a car. Cars are much more dangerous if you think about it, but if safety rules are followed, they are going to be ok.
    -Thomas Paine
  • big elkbig elk Member Posts: 111 Member
    My dad had me shooting when he han to help me hold the gun up. I live in Wyoming so having been around guns every since I could remember I was hunting rabbits when I was in the 4th grade with a 22. To me I think 13 is plenty old enough to start shooting. You might think about having him learn from a good instructor instead of yourself.