Home Main Category Clubhouse

A 5 pound block of sharp cheddar is in the smoker (Thanks CPJ)

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,391 Senior Member
Surprisingly cool night (low forecast of 69-70°) and the wife REALLY liked the cheddar CPJ has brought to the shoot the last 2 years. He was kind enough to share what brand and where he got it with me.

I picked up a block a couple of weeks ago. Tonight I'm trying it with one of the half steam table pans filled with water and frozen PLUS a second pan full of salted ice. I went out to check on it a few minutes ago, after 1 hour and while the outside temp is still 75° the thermometer on my smoker is showing the internal temp is 63°

I cut the block into 1/8ths, in halved the length, then I quartered each half. Going to leave it in over night, my smoke generator should burn for 3 to 4 hours and it should be cool enough to not melt by the time I get up in the morning.

"range report" coming soon

Supposedly it needs to rest for a few days/weeks for the flavor to mellow, so we shall see
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,131 Senior Member
    That special "Sam's Club" brand. Eh?

Most cheese is a very basic commodity. Regardless, the added value you put onto it is going to make a big difference! I couldn't poop for a week because of the delicious smoked cheese that CPJ sent me home with.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,594 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    That special "Sam's Club" brand. Eh?

Most cheese is a very basic commodity. Regardless, the added value you put onto it is going to make a big difference! I couldn't poop for a week because of the delicious smoked cheese that CPJ sent me home with.
    No ship? Really:tooth:
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    I knew it was going to happen but didn't care. It was worth it. That, and Snake's dried sausages! Low carb heaven.
    -Thomas Paine
    Oh, and baked potatoes with smoked cheddar are freaking awesome! I am not a big fan of flavorless foods like potatoes or rice, but when you can flavor them with stuff like that... wow! Delicious.
    -Thomas Paine
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 21,391 Senior Member
    Oh, and baked potatoes with smoked cheddar are freaking awesome!
    Well, I smoked fresh mozzarella last time and made a copy-cat version of Olive Garden's "Smoked Founduta" with some of it, it was QUITE tasty. Not a fan of eating fresh mozzarella any other way, smoked or not. Do NOT like the mouth feel of it :nono:
    The Dubliner was excellent as well, but I bought the 5# Sam's cheaper than a 1.5# block of it.

Actually, I just took it out, both pans of ice has completely melted and the temp had crept up to 85° and the smoke generator was still burning. So it's sitting on the rack, wrapped in paper towels to dry tonight, then 6-7 of the chunks will get vacuum sealed and refridgerated, and the remainder will rest in the fridge in a ziplock bag while I finish off the sharp cheddar and gouda left from the first round of smoking.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

If it resembles CPJ's cheese...:drool2:

There is nothing out there commercially that even comes close to that fantastic flavor! Homemade smoked cheese is awesome.
    -Thomas Paine
    If it resembles CPJ's cheese...:drool2:

There is nothing out there commercially that even comes close to that fantastic flavor! Homemade smoked cheese is awesome.
    Should be quite similar, same ingredients and same recipe :drool2:

Still a little strong and bitter, this close after coming out of the smoker, but put a thin 1x1" slice under the slice of american for the cheese toast I have under the broiler currently

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,811 Senior Member
    So your gonna cut the cheese
    cpj wrote: »
    If it's bitter, you may have smoked it too long. I've never smoked mine much more than an hour.
    Everything I've smoked so far has been a little bitter right out of the smoker. After a few days everything else has mellowed and I am expecting this to as well.

NN wrote: »
    So your gonna cut the cheese
    Already have twice, cut the 5# block into 8 smaller pieces, then cut off the few small pieces to taste and make the cheese toast.

• ilove22silove22s Senior Member Posts: 1,426 Senior Member
    sounds like some really good eats...

have you tried any grilled cheese with the smoked cheddar? or maybe some hot ham & cheese sandwich or hot ham & cheese croissants?
    The ears never lie.

- Don Burt
    Not a grilled cheese, but did add some to some cheese toast I made. Was quite tasty :up:

Tonight I melted some on top of some hamburger patties.....MMMMMmmmm Delicious

As I had hoped, after 3 days of resting, the bitterness it had fresh from the smoker has dissipated and the cheese tastes GREAT!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Oh, and baked potatoes with smoked cheddar are freaking awesome! I am not a big fan of flavorless foods like potatoes or rice, but when you can flavor them with stuff like that... wow! Delicious.

Filipinos eat rice dry, with nothing on it. I cannot do that. I love rice when it's used as a vehicle to transfer a beautiful gravy or stew to your taste buds. Same with Potatoes. The only exception for potatoes is when you fry them, but even then I dip them in Catsup or Mayo and it makes it manna from heaven. Cheese, especially sharp or smoked cheese on Potatoes is so fine. I even like when I put grated Colby Jack on a baked potato that's full of real butter, Hooter's Seasoning, and then nuke it. That is awesome. I can only imagine putting smoked cheese on it. God! You're killing me!!!

:rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    DUH! Hello wake up Mikey! I just thought of something. I have the perfect cheese smoker out back. It's a BBQ Pit with a big fat smoker stack. I think I'll go to HEB tomorrow and get me a couple of blocks of cheese and put it in that stack. I can get some Mesquite and Hickory or maybe some Cherry Chips and put in the fire box. The smoker stack is a good 5 feet down line from the fire box and if I keep the fire down to a dull roar and soak the smoke wood good I can smoke that dude for 8 hours or so.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    You're WAY over complicating this. You need ONLY enough heat to make the chips smoke and no more or you'll end up with melted cheese.
    As far as smoking times, you don't need anymore but one hour. Trust me. ;-)
    Yep, there's a reason I put 2 half steam table pans full of ice in my smoker. Everything I've read says the target temp to avoid is 90°.
    This time of year, it's difficult to stay below that without some sort of cooling for the smoker