Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Cop's possessions auctioned after shooting...

2»

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    Seems to me the county would absorb any civil liability awarded against the officer. FLA law says that has a $200,000 limit unless the state legislature vote to up it. The county refused to pay I think I read.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,557 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Seems to me the county would absorb any civil liability awarded against the officer. FLA law says that has a $200,000 limit unless the state legislature vote to up it. The county refused to pay I think I read.

I am rightly sure they did considering he was cleared of all wwrongdoing andand found tthat no criminal action took place.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
  • 6EQUJ5 - WOW!6EQUJ5 - WOW! Banned Posts: 482 Member
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    I am rightly sure they did considering he was cleared of all wwrongdoing andand found tthat no criminal action took place.

Yeah, corruption, not to mention the unions, tends to do that.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Here we go again. Come on back to the original story. The Officer was cleared of wrong doing by not one, but two boards. Why in the world would anyone be awarded a dime if the Officer was found to not be in the wrong?

When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,383 Senior Member
    This will be my last post in this thread, but I hope you answer as I will continue to read. I had planned to not say anything else, but I just have to ask; CaliFFL and 6EQUJ5 or whoever you really are, what happened in your life to make you so anti police ? You both take jabs every chance you get and when you get caught doing what our President calls fake new, you attempt to point to a different matter or yell corruption. What makes you so hateful toward our people in uniform? Nobody denies there are a few bad ones in a very large group, but you frown at all of them. Why?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    This will be my last post in this thread, but I hope you answer as I will continue to read. I had planned to not say anything else, but I just have to ask; CaliFFL and 6EQUJ5 or whoever you really are, what happened in your life to make you so anti police ? You both take jabs every chance you get and when you get caught doing what our President calls fake new, you attempt to point to a different matter or yell corruption. What makes you so hateful toward our people in uniform? Nobody denies there are a few bad ones in a very large group, but you frown at all of them. Why?

Never once stated I "hate the police" or "frown on them all" so quit being a tool and putting words in my mouth and others. There are plenty of police officers that have my upmost respect. And here's my question to you. If and when our 2nd is repealed and nationwide gun confiscations begin (don't think for an instant it won't happen) are you still going to support the police when they start confiscating your firearms? Clearly you defend the police in the rampant 4th Amendment violations that go on each and every day so I assume that you would defend them in other Constitutional violations as well? There's absolutely no question that many police officers and Dept.'s are completely out of control with corruption and a blatant distain for our freedoms. To put a blind trust in the police rather than what our Constitutional rights dictate, as intended by our Founders, is downright scary.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 12,071 Senior Member
    There is so much flawed interpretations in WoW's post, it makes it difficult to reply to all of them. However, the 2nd Amendment will never be overturned. It takes 3/4 of the states to vote to do this, which ain't going to happen. The last time any Amendment was overturned was the one mandating prohibition, in the 1930s or so. So you're fantasizing something that will never happen as an excuse to hate police...for something they haven't done.

Cops don't interpret the Constitution, the Courts do, which is their responsibility. You're also assuming with nothing to back it up that many departments are corrupt. You won't be able to back this up because it's not true. Again, you're making excuses to hate cops.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
    CaliFFL or whoever you really are, what happened in your life to make you so anti police ? You both take jabs every chance you get and when you get caught doing what our President calls fake new, you attempt to point to a different matter or yell corruption. What makes you so hateful toward our people in uniform? Nobody denies there are a few bad ones in a very large group, but you frown at all of them. Why?

Rodney King was the beginning of my disdain for the police. Four cops beating him, a dozen more standing around, from several different agencies. If the event wasn't recorded, nothing would've happened. It took national exposure just to get the state to file charges.

2- The epidemic rise of no-knock warrants, many wrong addresses, a flash grenade in a toddler's face with no disciplinary action.

3 - MRAPs in nearly every PD.

4 - 1000+ people killed by police every year. Many settlements, but almost no convictions in the questionable homicides.

5 - Thousands of dogs killed by police every year, many while the cops are trespassing. ZERO repercussions for killing dogs.

6 - Lack of accountability: Cops use statements like "totality of circumstances" or "furtive movement" or "properly following procedures" to justify killings, beatings, tasings, etc.

Here's 25 more reasons:

Amadou Diallo, Alberta Spruill, Thomas Kelly, Tamir Rice, Jamar Clark, Alton Sterling, Freddy Gray, Eric Garner, Philando Castile, Henry Glover, Sean Bell, Terrel Farrow, Tarika Wilson, Oscar Grant, Shem Walker, Victor Steen, Aaron Campbell, Aiyana Jones, Kenneth Chamberlain, Sgt. Manuel Loggins, Shereese Francis, Rekia Boyd, Carlos Alcis, Kathryn Johnson, and Dylan Noble.

Most of the killers of these people walked free, while the taxpayer footed the bill.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Gene L wrote: »
    There is so much flawed interpretations in WoW's post, it makes it difficult to reply to all of them. However, the 2nd Amendment will never be overturned. It takes 3/4 of the states to vote to do this, which ain't going to happen. The last time any Amendment was overturned was the one mandating prohibition, in the 1930s or so. So you're fantasizing something that will never happen as an excuse to hate police...for something they haven't done.

Cops don't interpret the Constitution, the Courts do, which is their responsibility. You're also assuming with nothing to back it up that many departments are corrupt. You won't be able to back this up because it's not true. Again, you're making excuses to hate cops.

If you actually believe that the 2nd cannot be overturned, especially in today's political climate, then you are truly a fool.
    Well, at least you're honest about your bias. Unlike WoW, who denies his prejudice (and should take a 9th grade civics course.) There's no use challenging your prejudices since bigotry is a train that only stops at one station.

I would, however, request you tell the truth in your posts, or at least not leave out pertinent information like you did in the OP. You used a dated action that had been since overturned as an excuse for your hatred. And you got a lot of enjoyment from the suffering of others, schadenfreude at its most basic level. You got joy that the cop lost his property (in your post.) That's a very unattractive quality in a person.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Here we go again. Come on back to the original story. The Officer was cleared of wrong doing by not one, but two boards. Why in the world would anyone be awarded a dime if the Officer was found to not be in the wrong?

OJ was found innocent but lost his ass in civil court. Burden of proof is different.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    OJ was found not guilty because the prosecutor tried a feminist prosecution. I would say the jury was compromised, but I don't know that.

As for personal references, I apologize for any I might have made and with that will bow out of this trainwreck.
    Well, at least you're honest about your bias. Unlike WoW, who denies his prejudice (and should take a 9th grade civics course.) There's no use challenging your prejudices since bigotry is a train that only stops at one station.

I would, however, request you tell the truth in your posts, or at least not leave out pertinent information like you did in the OP. You used a dated action that had been since overturned as an excuse for your hatred. And you got a lot of enjoyment from the suffering of others, schadenfreude at its most basic level. You got joy that the cop lost his property (in your post.) That's a very unattractive quality in a person.

Wait, what? Joy from someone's suffering? I got joy because a cop was actually punished for putting a kid in a wheelchair. Then I was pissed because once again, NOTHING happened.

For the record,

prej·u·dice

noun
    preconceived opinion that is not based on reason

All of my reasons stated above relieve me of the prejudice moniker. They are not opinions, they are facts. Google every single fact or name I listed.

Adam J. McCleod

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    This is January 2016 news. Why is it being posted now?

Schadenfreude.

RIF
    http://www.mypalmbeachpost.com/news/crime--law/marshals-seize-pbso-deputy-property-pay-shooting-victim/wru3aQ1SRpWqsz9hvWWjKP/

Updated: 7:24 p.m. Wednesday, January 11, 2017 | Posted: 2:09 p.m. Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Like a contract, ya gotta read the fine print.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Rodney King was the beginning of my disdain for the police. Four cops beating him, a dozen more standing around, from several different agencies. If the event wasn't recorded, nothing would've happened. It took national exposure just to get the state to file charges.

2- The epidemic rise of no-knock warrants, many wrong addresses, a flash grenade in a toddler's face with no disciplinary action.

3 - MRAPs in nearly every PD.

4 - 1000+ people killed by police every year. Many settlements, but almost no convictions in the questionable homicides.

5 - Thousands of dogs killed by police every year, many while the cops are trespassing. ZERO repercussions for killing dogs.

6 - Lack of accountability: Cops use statements like "totality of circumstances" or "furtive movement" or "properly following procedures" to justify killings, beatings, tasings, etc.

Here's 25 more reasons:

Amadou Diallo, Alberta Spruill, Thomas Kelly, Tamir Rice, Jamar Clark, Alton Sterling, Freddy Gray, Eric Garner, Philando Castile, Henry Glover, Sean Bell, Terrel Farrow, Tarika Wilson, Oscar Grant, Shem Walker, Victor Steen, Aaron Campbell, Aiyana Jones, Kenneth Chamberlain, Sgt. Manuel Loggins, Shereese Francis, Rekia Boyd, Carlos Alcis, Kathryn Johnson, and Dylan Noble.

Most of the killers of these people walked free, while the taxpayer footed the bill.

At least CaliFFL is honest. WOW just talks out the side of his mouth.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I moved this to the political Forum because it has NOTHING to do with Self Defense and quite frankly I'd rather bury it but here it is. If the personal attacks and insults don't stop I'm deleting this outright because this subject is getting stupid...

The OPs placing these threads in the Personal Defense section almost makes some nefarious insinuations.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    No. It's the mentality of, "you have no clue what I have to do and go through in my job so can you just back off and let the authorities that be arbitrate wrongdoing I'm accused of?"
    When I was a child of the 50s to early 60s LEOs were respected and appreciated. In the later 1960s they were vilified by the resist authority movement. It has grown much worse. Back in 1972 I wanted to become a LEO. I enrolled in the local community college's LEO associates degree program. It was good but just academic. Since I had turned 21 years old I had the choice of doing my last 90 days as work experience versus academic. I was accepted as a reserve deputy sheriff. My mentor (he made it clear I was not his "partner") was a "crusty" sergeant. He carried an N-frame Smith and Wesson .357 magnum. I had a Model 10 4" .38 special. I was not allowed to draw my "pea-shooter" unless ordered by him. We mostly did High School sports security, a few minor traffic stops, and a couple minor traffic accidents. My mentor convinced me to expect being hated and lied to unless you were saving someone's butt. It was contrary to how I evaluated people. I completed my 90 days and received my diploma but did not become a LEO.
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    When I was a child of the 50s to early 60s LEOs were respected and appreciated. In the later 1960s they were vilified by the resist authority movement. It has grown much worse. Back in 1972 I wanted to become a LEO. I enrolled in the local community college's LEO associates degree program. It was good but just academic. Since I had turned 21 years old I had the choice of doing my last 90 days as work experience versus academic. I was accepted as a reserve deputy sheriff. My mentor (he made it clear I was not his "partner") was a "crusty" sergeant. He carried an N-frame Smith and Wesson .357 magnum. I had a Model 10 4" .38 special. I was not allowed to draw my "pea-shooter" unless ordered by him. We mostly did High School sports security, a few minor traffic stops, and a couple minor traffic accidents. My mentor convinced me to expect being hated and lied to unless you were saving someone's butt. It was contrary to how I evaluated people. I completed my 90 days and received my diploma but did not become a LEO.

Is that the irony of human nature? LEO are adored until they have to take action against their adoring people. Then they are scum. It's the nature of human nature.

I once read an article that theorized that motorists commit 100-500 dangerous traffic violations before they are pulled over by police. I'm not giving them a "second" chance, because it would be at best their 101st chance, or worst 501st chance. I'm far more apt to give warnings if people just admit their human folly rather than lie to me and "promise" they won't do it again.

Greater still is two motorists driving side by side at he same unlawful speed. One is stopped the other drives on. "Why didn't you stop him too?" Well sir/ma'am I was already behind you in your lane so I chose you; I can't stop both of you at once.

The sense of entitlement to be excluded from consequence and the regularity by which it occurs is mind blowing. It's just a traffic stop. It's not a persecution.

There are a lot of genuinely appreciative people who love cops. I meet them daily. But are they all that way behind my back? Who knows. But they all get the same respectful treatment up front and their actions alone dictate how that goes.
    How come nobody says anything about Officer Lin not be charged or disciplined? If he was not found to be in the wrong I cant figure out how he had a judgement against him. But, it happens all the time, just ask OJ. In reading the entire article and several over the last few year, it appears that if Mr. Stephens had followed the officers instructions and not reached behind his back, he would still be riding his bike erratically around his friends neighborhood.

"Our keyboard cop haters on here will not agree, but that's OK, this is America and we all can have an opinion and state it, the Constitution says so."
    If they served as one they may change their opinion. Much like those who have never served in the military and experienced the situation of kill or be killed.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,806 Senior Member
    I lived in South Florida for about 5 years. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure almost every municipal jurisdiction down there is run by liberals. When a cop gets himself jammed up in a shooting or some other misconduct, I don't think the local governments are are going to bend over backwards to clear the charges when investigating him/her for wrongdoings. Also the police unions are bound to defend any cop charged with a crime, just as a defense lawyer would defend a civilian suspect charged with a crime.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I lived in South Florida for about 5 years. I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure almost every municipal jurisdiction down there is run by liberals. When a cop gets himself jammed up in a shooting or some other misconduct, I don't think the local governments are are going to bend over backwards to clear the charges when investigating him/her for wrongdoings. Also the police unions are bound to defend any cop charged with a crime, just as a defense lawyer would defend a civilian suspect charged with a crime.

Yeah, FL starts getting a bit weird below Ocala. Too bad you don't live a lot closer to The Villages; you could report on some of that 'funny stuff' going on in that place. :roll2:
    And as a total aside, the FL State Troopers, and the cops I've met from Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area have all been standup guys and gals. I've met quite a few of them as they are friends with my nephew; they went to school together.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    tennmike wrote: »
    Yeah, FL starts getting a bit weird below Ocala. Too bad you don't live a lot closer to The Villages; you could report on some of that 'funny stuff' going on in that place. :roll2:
    And as a total aside, the FL State Troopers, and the cops I've met from Cape Coral/Ft. Myers area have all been standup guys and gals. I've met quite a few of them as they are friends with my nephew; they went to school together.

We don't have leviathan union organizations in FL. Unions here for the most part provide for legal council and as arbiters for employer-employee disputes, mostly regarding punitive decisions after policy wrongdoing. Our unions are actually quite Milquetoast by and large.

Bias notwithstanding, I have a lot of respect for LEO in Florida. We weed out our bad apples quite swiftly and do our jobs forthright and with integrity.
    tennmike wrote: »

Actually the weirdness line is a bit further south than Ocala. The county I live in (Lake), which is just south of Marion county (Ocala) is dominated by conservatives. Once you go further south than where I live the demographics change. The Villages is 30 miles due west of me, and any Republican that runs for presidential office does not fail to make a stop in The Villages. I read there's a lot of hanky-panky going on over there....LOL

The part of south Florida I was referring to is Dade, Broward and Palm Beach Counties. The bulk of liberal voters in Florida resides in those 3 counties.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    We don't have leviathan union organizations in FL. Unions here for the most part provide for legal council and as arbiters for employer-employee disputes, mostly regarding punitive decisions after policy wrongdoing. Our unions are actually quite Milquetoast by and large.

Bias notwithstanding, I have a lot of respect for LEO in Florida. We weed out our bad apples quite swiftly and do our jobs forthright and with integrity.

I was a member of a 3000 strong department in NY. They had a PBA that would defend members for any department violation of Rules & Regulations or criminal matters. They also had an IAU that was ferocious in investigating wrong-doing. They always thoroughly investigated everything, and if there was misconduct it would be prosecuted. If the investigation turned up no evidence of misconduct, no charges would be filed.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    At least CaliFFL is honest. WOW just talks out the side of his mouth.
    I was thinking of a different orifice.
This discussion has been closed.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement