Blackhawk .50 cal ammo cans

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,514 Senior Member
Are they made in the USA and are they much better than those made in China? I see they are a copy of original US military ammo cans................I need an ammo storage solution and was thinking these may be the ticket.

Original US military cans are getting pricey at some places and I don't see as many as I used to.

What are your opinions on the pros and cons of storing ammo in them?
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,514 Senior Member
    I've see where Blackhawk ammo cans are made in the USA and now see where it says Imported on them????
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,342 Senior Member
    Surplus ammo cans are going from 8.00 to 15.00, what do you consider pricey?
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    Check Ebay- - - - -plenty of surplus GI ammo cans there, 30, 50 and 20MM size, and the prices aren't bad. I'm considering mounting a pair of 30's to my bike instead of the big suitcase-type saddlebags unless I'm on a road trip somewhere.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,907 Senior Member
    If you are thinking of buying non G.I. ammo cans don't buy them unless you can inspect them in person. G.I. ammo cans have a one piece rubber seal in the lid and will seal against ANY moisture getting into the can, even if submerged. The non G.I. cans may have a seal that is just a piece of seal that is cut to fit, sorta kinda, and ANY gap in the seal will allow moisture into the can.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

PSA has a case of 12 new .50 cal cans with free shipping fer $89.90, not original US surplus. Says Blackhawk, I've read they are pretty good, but may be made in China nowadays. Does say "Imported" on the description.

One joint has original US with yellow markings in good shape, like new used fer only $8 bucks each. But Shipping is $45 bucks for 12.

Walmart has some made in China which are more than either above. I'm not sure if the Blackhawk brand is the same that sell all the other stuff or not????
    One place wants over $70 bucks fer shipping alone...........................used and rusted............nope.
    Be stored in the house/garage in a cabinet and I need a place to place specific caliber ammo in and carry to the range and the next SE Shoot. :guns: :guns:

I mean mark it .45/.44/.357/.223 whatever....................
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    I have some metal cans, a couple from my days at "The Basic School" in 65, and some of those plastic ones.

Both work equally well for storage
    for hauling around such as on the boat during duck season, the plastic ones are better.
    This message has been deleted
    OK I gave these a whirl..............free shipping. I'm a little confused where they are made...........some YouTube show a made in USA label..........Walmart ones fer $12.88 ea say made in China. Comes out to $7.49 ea delivered and no taxes.

Case of Twelve (12) .50 Caliber M2A1 Ammo Cans CASE-0002 1 $89.99
    29449 Blackhawk Sportster .50 Cal Ammo Can
    12 x New .50 Cal Ammo Can M2A1
    Got them a while ago. Seem to be well made, brand new and sturdy as the ones I've handled in the Army and surplus. Says Made In The USA on them, M2A1 stamped on them. Blackhawk, Overland KS.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,407 Senior Member
    :cool2:
    This message has been deleted
    Heavy big box, UPS man used a hand cart to bring them up the driveway. I had him drop them by the garage door and took a couple out at a time.

Hmmm...... be great for storage, not so sure more than a couple would be so good toting to the range for a caliber I'd be firing a lot of over a good heavy duty range zipper bag, sure adds weights before the ammo goes in. I'll have to mark them somehow to identify caliber of what's inside so I won't have to open them to see. A Sharpie or a tag on the handle should work. Need something I can X out or swap easily.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,907 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Heavy big box, UPS man used a hand cart to bring them up the driveway. I had him drop them by the garage door and took a couple out at a time.

Hmmm...... be great for storage, not so sure more than a couple would be so good toting to the range for a caliber I'd be firing a lot of over a good heavy duty range zipper bag, sure adds weights before the ammo goes in. I'll have to mark them somehow to identify caliber of what's inside so I won't have to open them to see. A Sharpie or a tag on the handle should work. Need something I can X out or swap easily.

Painter's masking tape and a Sharpie will work good for easily swapped tags.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

tennmike wrote: »
    Painter's masking tape and a Sharpie will work good for easily swapped tags.

Yep or some bandage tape that sorta looks like masking tape I used to mark stuff for the freezer before, that stuff will stay stuck to anything wet or dry, hot or cold.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,611 Senior Member
    This guy on fleabay sells magnetic tags for ammo cans - they're under $2/ea and are taticool! What more could you ask for? :tooth:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/windproof_lighters_ltd.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    zorba wrote: »
    This guy on fleabay sells magnetic tags for ammo cans - they're under $2/ea and are taticool! What more could you ask for? :tooth:

http://www.ebay.com/usr/windproof_lighters_ltd.

Who would've thunk.....................
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Who would've thunk.....................

Just about anything you'd need to label an ammo can with, he's got!

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    Pew..................what is that smell inside those ammo cans when you first open them up? I have read where a lot of folks have asked on different forums. Some the say ammo that was stored in them or whatever, but these are brand new. Or the cardboard sleeves the ammo was stored in.

Others say the paint and the rubber seal/gasket or the powder they put on rubber or a chemical reaction...............I dunno but it is very distinctive.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,376 Senior Member
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    P Touch labels are pretty much bomb proof. I have left some out in the weather - including salt spray on a daily basis - for over a decade and they still look brand new!