Home Main Category General Firearms

Well, hold everything! Put the Long Range .270 on hold. I've been Enabled again.

2»

Replies

  • sarg1csarg1c Senior Member Posts: 1,707 Senior Member
    7x57 is one of my favorite calibers. had one but sold it, stupid I guess....
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Just taking a quick look at Load Data, i see plenty of recipes for the 160, should be no problem getting 2500 to near 2700 from a 22" barre thl.

    Got the barrel this afternnoon. It's a shade over 24 inches. I screwed it into the Zastava action and it went in without a hitch. I think this is going to be a sweet rifle. I think I'll drop it in a Boyd's Pepper Laminate Stock. As for optics, I was thinking of trying a Nikon Prostaff 5 4-12x40.

    So this will be my third 7mm rifle.I have a 280 and a 7 Remington Mag. This should make it a great set. I'm going to have to do some catch up on my .270s as I only have one so far.

    :tooth:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Funny, you say 9.3x62 to most American hunters and they look at you funny and say "a what?"

    The 9.3x62 will do everything a .375 will, at a bit shorter range maybe, but in a more gentle fashion. Not to say it's a woman's or kid's gun, it will definitely let you know you shot something, but it doesn't kick you stupid either. It's a damn fine cartridge.

    Edited to Add: In other words, though it has a bit of recoil you can get by without a brake.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • wizard78wizard78 Senior Member Posts: 1,004 Senior Member
    Good luck and good choice on your build, Snake. :applause:
    Zee wrote: »
    ........

    I HAVE considered a 7x57 Mauser. It would have to be in a Ruger No.1 or M77 RSI. For some reason, that gun need a Manlicher stock.
    There IS something appealing about a Ruger RSI in a 7x57. Just.....fits

    That, I totally agree on!

    dscn2110.jpg

    “When guns are outlawed, only patriots will have guns.”
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Snake,
    Congrats on the 7x57. Great cartridge.
    Love the 7's


    FWIW - I have joined the 6.5 Swede crowd with a 1-8 twist, left-hand wood stocked Tikka.
    Ernie

    "The Un-Tactical"
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Snake,
    Congrats on the 7x57. Great cartridge.
    Love the 7's


    FWIW - I have joined the 6.5 Swede crowd with a 1-8 twist, left-hand wood stocked Tikka.

    Thanks Ernie, I have 3 now. This one I think will work its way into first place go to hunter. Or maybe a tie with my .270. I may have to start flipping a coin on which to take.

    :rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:.....:rotflmao:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    That's TWO rifles I've directly enabled you into snake!! Haha

    I never measured the bbl, so I figured it was 22 as that seems pretty standard for mauser prefits, it seems.

    My own soon-to-be 7x57 is getting shipped out Monday to a smith from the AR forum. He did some "Duke of Marlborough" contour barrels from Douglas blanks. Very British, long and skinny, 1 step near the beech. I think I'm going to have it finished at 23". I'm using this stock https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/b3C2v5

    Was going to use that for the 10.75x68mm but when I started really looking at the two 98 stocks I think the linked one, is too narrow for the big sewer pipe. My other stock has more meat all over, it'll work better for a DG gun in the mid 40s ft-lbs of recoil. I'm going with that 98 I got on black Friday for 150 bucks. It'll need some more work but that's fine. Its on the path now
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I built a 7X57 on a Turk 98 for my nephew, and he's taken several deer with it. I'm considering sending the reamer back for a custom regrind to eliminate most of the freebore it has to accommodate those banana-shaped milsurp round nose bullets, however. Something along the line of a close fit for a Spitzer in the 160-grain neighborhood would be good, I think.
    Jerry
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Can you have it reground to 275 Rigby High Velocity specs? It would be throated for 140s at that point. That is how mine is being cut.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    That's TWO rifles I've directly enabled you into snake!! Haha

    I never measured the bbl, so I figured it was 22 as that seems pretty standard for mauser prefits, it seems.

    My own soon-to-be 7x57 is getting shipped out Monday to a smith from the AR forum. He did some "Duke of Marlborough" contour barrels from Douglas blanks. Very British, long and skinny, 1 step near the beech. I think I'm going to have it finished at 23". I'm using this stock https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/shares/b3C2v5

    Was going to use that for the 10.75x68mm but when I started really looking at the two 98 stocks I think the linked one, is too narrow for the big sewer pipe. My other stock has more meat all over, it'll work better for a DG gun in the mid 40s ft-lbs of recoil. I'm going with that 98 I got on black Friday for 150 bucks. It'll need some more work but that's fine. Its on the path now

    Looks like you will come out of this with a sweet classic hunting rifle too! And that's a good thing because you can't ever have too many classic hunting rifles.


    Yeah you've enabled me twice now. I owe you two. But actually, I'm very happy you did. I have been curiously wanting a 7x57 for years but wouldn't put others aside for it because I figured I could always do it. And the 9.3 is fast becoming one of my all time favorite rifles. I've got some great classics now because of this place. My .270 Win. has been a great hunting rifle for me for right at 50 years now. It works. But it's more than the chambering. It's just a sweet handling and shooting rifle. It kicks the piss out of me on the bench but in the field it feels like a P u s s y cat. Now I think I have its match in this 7x57. I'm lovin' the thought of having a classic looking 7x57.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    wizard78 wrote: »
    Good luck and good choice on your build, Snake. :applause:





    That, I totally agree on!

    dscn2110.jpg

    Thanks Brother Wizard. I think it will turn out to be a great deer and hog rifle.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Stamp .275 Rigby somewhere on it, please.


    post-10715-0-64919300-1437745418.jpg



    62557_view%2004_04.jpg


    :wink:
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    shush wrote: »
    Stamp .275 Rigby somewhere on it, please.


    post-10715-0-64919300-1437745418.jpg



    62557_view%2004_04.jpg


    :wink:

    Shush, I can't help it if you guys can't count. That should read .284 Rigby, LOLOLOL!!!

    Seriously Shush it's a cool Idea and I'm just weird enough to do it. So don't be surprised if I do.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Brits count the lands, so 275 IS correct ;)

    Mine is getting the 275 Rigby HV chamber, so it'll be stamped accordingly. I'll probably have the metric stamped on the opposite side, for any possible travel issues.
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Brits count the lands, so 275 IS correct ;)

    Mine is getting the 275 Rigby HV chamber, so it'll be stamped accordingly. I'll probably have the metric stamped on the opposite side, for any possible travel issues.

    Yeah I know, I've already been through this learning curve of British measurement, but was having fun with Shush. Actually as I told him, I think I'll have mine stamped according to British measurement just for the cool factor.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement