Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Positive experience in Nebraska CCW course

Six-GunSix-Gun Senior MemberPosts: 8,155 Senior Member
On Tuesday, I completed the required, 2-day CCW course for Nebraska at a nearby range. The place is only a year old and extremely nice, with a cafe (excellent food, too) and clean shooting environment. The backstops are excellent and feature a ballistic material that prevents bullet fragging and ricochets.

But most impressive was the quality of the course material and instruction. We always hear about the terrible instruction some folks get, but this was not the case. The young guy teaching my course was prior Marine Recon and currently serving Army spec ops due to a service change. He never came off as a know-it-all and covered the material very well. It didn't hurt that he is a superb shot and very safety conscious. We had an older guy in my class who was very nice, but pretty inexperienced as a shooter. He needed a few corrections to his handling practices, but the instructor did so without berating or embarrassing the guy and ultimately got the gentleman handling himself properly.

As a long-time shooter, it's east go into these courses thinking you may already know plenty about what may be taught, but I learned a buch about Nebraska laws and practical point shooting, something that I never trained to previously. This was definitely a caluable course and a great experience.
Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,316 Senior Member
    Nice to hear something positive for a change....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    It was good deal all around: great education on the laws impacting the CCW holder, reciprocity review for the license you earn, excellent hands-on instruction, and a free pen with a 4GB USB drive in the end of it containing the entire corse slide show in .pdf form along with your graduation certificate and range info.

Nebraska's CCW requirements are some of the most stringent I've encountered, requiring not just the course, but a notarized application, vision exam, proof of citizenship and fees. That said, I can't deny the value added by the classroom portion, and their permit has very good reciprocal observance accross the country.
    Oh, and here's the site for the place I trained:

https://88tactical.com

Their range time is pricey and their memberships range from very expensive to outrageous depending on which tier you choose, but the place is clean, safe and the staff is very friendly. They also run a "Tactical Tuesday" special that cuts the range time cost in half, making it a lot more appealing.

My only complaint is that that downstairs range open to non-members is not climate controlled and dumps in outside air to ventilate it. Needless to say, hot days are a no-go.
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,732 Senior Member
    Sounds like a great course/instructor. Great to hear.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    On Tuesday, I completed the required, 2-day CCW course for Nebraska at a nearby range. The place is only a year old and extremely nice, with a cafe (excellent food, too) and clean shooting environment. The backstops are excellent and feature a ballistic material that prevents bullet fragging and ricochets.

But most impressive was the quality of the course material and instruction. We always hear about the terrible instruction some folks get, but this was not the case. The young guy teaching my course was prior Marine Recon and currently serving Army spec ops due to a service change. He never came off as a know-it-all and covered the material very well. It didn't hurt that he is a superb shot and very safety conscious. We had an older guy in my class who was very nice, but pretty inexperienced as a shooter. He needed a few corrections to his handling practices, but the instructor did so without berating or embarrassing the guy and ultimately got the gentleman handling himself properly.

As a long-time shooter, it's east go into these courses thinking you may already know plenty about what may be taught, but I learned a buch about Nebraska laws and practical point shooting, something that I never trained to previously. This was definitely a caluable course and a great experience.

I don't care how experienced you are, you can always learn something new. That's why I like going to such classes. I never let myself get over confident because that's when I have problems. Congrats, and it sounds like Nebraska has its act together.

When anybody starts talking crap like they have it all figured out, I will take my toys and go find another playground because that's when things can get dangerous.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    Absolutely true, snake. There's a fine line between confident and cocky.
    It is snazzy and, truthfully, I wondered if it was all show. Thankfully, the guy we got for the class seemed extremely genuine, knew his stuff and was 100% safe throughout the class. I would definitely take another class there.