Home Main Category Personal Defense

I'm pretty sure I've decided on my final carry rig (now just to wait)

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,742 Senior Member
I've done a bit of experimenting with concealed carry since getting my CHL: To date I've carried the following (along with methods):

Glock 19 (OWB and IWB, prefer OWB)
Smith and Wesson 19 (OWB)
5" 1911 (OWB, IWB, prefer IWB)

So after this I'm pretty sure what I want my dedicated carry rig to be:

Ruger SR1911 or similar (I'm not making a purchase for awhile, by the time I'm ready to buy I'm hoping they're readily available). If reports start coming back that the Ruger is junk, I'll get an STI Spartan or similar. If Ruger introduced a Commander sized SR1911, all the better, but no big deal if they don't.
http://www.ruger.com/products/sr1911/models.html

Possible modifications could include: Front strap checkering, night sights, and VZ Operator II grips (I have a set on my STI 1911 and love them).
http://vzgrips.com/gun-grips/1911-pistol-grips-1/operators-ii-2

Then chuck it in a Milt Sparks Summer Special (I took everything that I wanted changed about my Bianchi 3S, and boom, there it was in the Summer Special)
http://www.miltsparks.com/Summer_Spec.htm

If concealed carry on campus is ever allowed in TX while I'm still a student (highly unlikely) I'll probably carry the 1911 in one of those Maxpedition messenger bags, or just get an ultra small P3AT type pocket gun.

Any suggestions from the forum gurus? I've only been carrying for about 18 months, but I find the 1911 to conceal very well and I'm yet to find a semi-auto that I can shoot better.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    I've been carrying my Beretta M9 in an Old World OWB leather pancake for a couple of years. I will only resort to an IWB if my wardrobe requires it.
    Your plan sounds good, I just wish i could find an affordable 1911 that I could trust for carry purposes.
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    SS3, I love Milt Sparks holsters! I have been carrying using the Exec Comp for maybe 8 years and love the extra leather at the base to hold the holster more in place. IF mine ever wears out (it is just broke in good now) I'll be looking at the Versa. Sparks stuff is solid and lasts ... their belts, while expensive, are just a durable ... with a little saddle soap and glove oil every so often it still looks almost new.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    SS3,

I have been using a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 for almost 4 years, and it makes daily carry very comfortable. The fit and finish of Sparks Holsters makes the long wait time well worth it! I wear the VM2 around the 7-8 o'clock position (I am a lefty) and the holster conceals very well.
  • TSchubTSchub Senior Member Posts: 782 Senior Member
    I think your plan sounds fine.
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    The only single thing I don't like about the classic Summer Special is that it doesn't have a sweat guard. Carrying a 1911 requires one IMHO to avoid issues with the safety.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,798 Senior Member
    I've settled on my 'permanent' carry rig about a dozen times, now. :bang:

Until you have been carrying every day, through all the seasons and in all modes of dress, I have doubts that you will stick to the same thing every day.

I will say, though, that 90% of the time my carry mode involves a Crossbreed holster, or one of the same basic design that I made for myself. I have pretty much settled on IWB holsters because the wide leather pad of the Crossbreed design forms to my body and is not uncomfortable. Also, with an IWB, it is not as necessary to keep your cover garment on, because you can just blouse your shirt over the grip and conceal most pistols well enough for normal circumstances.

Also, though I do sometimes carry a 1911 clone for certain circumstances, for the day-to-day drudgery of carrying a gun, I prefer a striker fired pistol. I would have thought that your G-19 would be perfect for that.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Uncle BS wrote: »
    Welcome aboard.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    Sounds like a decent plan--I've heard nothing bad about Sparks gear. I do like some of the combination leather Kydex rigs that are out there--I like the Comp-tac C-tac and the Cross-Breed super-tuck a lot. The Cross-breed is the only rig I tried that lets me comfortably IWB a fat gun like my Sig P228, but the Summer special was made to be a 1911 holster, and seems to fit that gun quite well. For my next dedicated carry 1911, I think I'm going to get something with a bob-tail, because I think it will be just a bit more comfortable, but I've never had a problem carrying a Gov't with a good holster.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    joseph06 wrote: »
    For my next dedicated carry 1911, I think I'm going to get something with a bob-tail, because I think it will be just a bit more comfortable, but I've never had a problem carrying a Gov't with a good holster.

I really like the bobtail concept, but I use that last part of the grip, so it's probably a no-go for me. I will withhold full judgement until I can try one at a range though.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,167 Senior Member
    I can find ways to carry full size OWB, but nothing IWB is comfortable sitting in a car....
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    I can find ways to carry full size OWB, but nothing IWB is comfortable sitting in a car....
    I have the same issue, unless it is a clip on IWB that can be moved to the other side while driving and put back before I get out of the vehicle.
    jbp-ohio wrote: »

Honestly I haven't had that issue (Government 1911 in Bianchi 3S). I notice it, and tilt it forward a bit for quicker access, but it isn't uncomfortable. If I'm going to be in the car for a long time I just take the gun out of the holster and put it in the passenger seat under a sweater.
    Honestly I haven't had that issue (Government 1911 in Bianchi 3S). I notice it, and tilt it forward a bit for quicker access, but it isn't uncomfortable. If I'm going to be in the car for a long time I just take the gun out of the holster and put it in the passenger seat under a sweater.
    It is best to keep it attached to you or something; otherwise in something like a console or door pocket.
    If I were planning on keeping the truck any longer than another year or so, I'd fashion a way to bolt a kydex holster onto the console at an arm's reach, and draping a towel over it.
    I thought about that Idea of jury rigging a holster attachment since the commercial holster attachments either are expensive, made for midgets, or do not fit Fords.

Best idea I came up with was a old holster with a short belt that could be run through the other fastened seat belt if no one is in the other seat.
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    Why not slap a bit of velcro on a holster and on something in the car? I believe Crossbreed makes a holster specifically for some such application. I purchased a holster much like the crossbreed to do much the same thing. I have a maxpedition bag that I intend to put mine in and I have another to fasten in my wifes purse. You might even find that the loop portion of the velcro aint so bad against the body.
    Why not slap a bit of velcro on a holster and on something in the car? I believe Crossbreed makes a holster specifically for some such application. I purchased a holster much like the crossbreed to do much the same thing. I have a maxpedition bag that I intend to put mine in and I have another to fasten in my wifes purse. You might even find that the loop portion of the velcro aint so bad against the body.
    That might work well, so long as there is enough velcro used to deal with the weight of the gun in an accident or emergency stop.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    The only single thing I don't like about the classic Summer Special is that it doesn't have a sweat guard. Carrying a 1911 requires one IMHO to avoid issues with the safety.

Agreed. The nicest holster I have bought yet is from Mernickle. Cannot say enough good things about them.
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
  • R.D.WYLIER.D.WYLIE New Member Posts: 6 New Member
    You might want to consider a SIG or save you money and get a WILSON COMBAT it dosen't matter which one!!
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    R.D.WYLIE wrote: »
    You might want to consider a SIG or save you money and get a WILSON COMBAT it dosen't matter which one!!

We're awaiting your rationale on these recommendations...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    R.D.WYLIE wrote: »

You mean the same SIG that literally had to cease production on their 1911 line to fix the problems, and the Wilson Combat that costs roughly 3-4X what the Ruger costs?

Tell you what, send me one of either and I'll pay for the ammo and the holster. How's that sound?
  • GTS197GTS197 New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    You can't go wrong with a Versa.

I've been pleased with Blackhawk's CQC line, and generally carry my 5" in a Serpa.
    In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,928 Senior Member
    mus123 wrote: »
    nice modification, I will try your modifications.

Hi...welcome...how about introducing yourself over in the Clubhouse...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 660 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    That might work well, so long as there is enough velcro used to deal with the weight of the gun in an accident or emergency stop.

I can always just run some screws thru the holes with a big ole washer on em... anyway for $40 a pop for the Kholster I am ok with what I got.

BUT I intend to get a Silent Thunder Fusion in the near future...