Showed up this time

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 6,376 Senior Member
Went back to Camp Perry for the games matches with all of the kids. We shot the Springfield and Vintage Sniper.

I started well with the 03A3, shot a 97 slow fire prone, then got worse. My rapid is normally close to the slow, but not that day. Shot about a 89. Then stood up and shot a 79. I have shot a 97 offhand with that rifle and it seemed I needed 4 real bad to pull my head out again then I shot OK. Son did OK shooting his average. #1 Daughter not so much. She short stroked the rifle in rapid and instead of running the bolt, she flipped the mag cut off lever because..... I have no idea. I yelled at her to put it back up, she did, fired one more, and flipped back down and didnt pick up another. She saved 7 rounds.

Vintage sniper was a different deal.
My daughters were teamed up shooting my buddys Mosin. #1 took a little while to pull it together, and #2 fired the same score at 300 and 600.
#1 86 - 1 74 - 1 / 160 - 2
#2 78 - 0 78 - 1 / 156 - 1
for a total of 316 3x. #1 shot first so I think that helped #2 at 600. The Mosin isnt the best rifle there, but I have shot it and it is completely capable to shoot high 80's at 600. It was #2's first match and she did well.

My usual shooting partner is headed for caribou so I moved my son up to the 03A4, and it worked out real well. Our team ranked at #26 once all the cards were turned in. 191 - 4 189 - 3 380 - 7

Me 300/94 - 0 600/97 - 2 191 - 2
Son 300/97 - 4 600/92 - 1 189 - 5
He out shot me at 300. I was chasing 10 and threw a 8. When we backed off to 600, I called the wind right and started cutting 10's and only dropped 3 points. He had a little harder time because the wind lulled a bit, not enough to change the windage but he was having a problem favoring right. He tossed one 8 but it was a fluke. His group was real good at 10:30 just in the 9 ring. That put us centered in the silver medals.

The shooting partner might get fired :jester:

365 would get you a bronze, that is the minimum to medal, 376-384 is silver and gold is above that. Out of 198 teams there were 14 in the gold, 27 in the silver, and 51 with bronze.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,332 Senior Member
    With your vintage rifles, are you shooting from a tight sling, or does the pressure on non-floated barrels negatively affect the POI?
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,376 Senior Member
    Yes, a tight sling, and no, if it affects poi, I havent seen it, or it hasnt been enough to matter, or I am consistent. :) You can use a 54" but there is a lot of tail.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,376 Senior Member
    With your vintage rifles, are you shooting from a tight sling, or does the pressure on non-floated barrels negatively affect the POI?

Just another thought, the tight M1906 sling was invented for the vintage rifles.