"Handgun" powders in rifle rounds????

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 18,845 Senior Member
I was running the numbers through quickload for 7.62x39 and 123gr bullets last night.
Of the powders readily available here, 3 of the 4 top velocity producers are "pistol" powders
In order from Higher velocity down,

Win 296
L'il Gun
Reloader-7
H-110

Before you start telling me the H110 and Win296 are the same powder in different cans, I KNOW, so I'm guessing the difference is lot to lot variation.

I use Li'l gun in the 50 Beowulf, but even though it's shot from a rifle, it's more like a straight walled pistol round with a HUGE expansion ratio.

So, have any of you used powders this fast in a bottle necked rifle round?

Sound strange to any of you?

Suggestions?
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• black mambablack mamba Member Posts: 158 Member
    W296/H110 should definitely not be used in bottlenecked cases, due to poor ignition. For gallery (subsonic) loads in bottlenecked cases I use Alliant American Select, a fast pistol powder. It is very bulky, which helps with case fill and ignition, the main bugaboos with small doses of fast powder.

For mid-range and cast bullet loads in bottlenecked cases, I use Accurate 5744. It was designed to be position insensitive.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,845 Senior Member
    These are neither subsonic nor mid-range loads.
    Sorted for fastest velocity, those were the ones on top (Along with a Norma and some foreign brand I've never heard of)
    And quickload isn't calling for "small doses"
    They're all 75% case fill or more
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    My go-to load for my Ruger 77MkII 7.62x39 uses reloader 7 and a 123gr hornady sp. Have not shot them over the chrony but the book puts it at around 2300fps and it shoots pretty good. I have never tried any of the others listed.

Sako
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 4,544 Senior Member
    I use RL7 under 110 grain Bergers in my 30BR. 33.8 grains gets me 2975 fps. Ramshot Xterminator is very close to it in performance.

Mike
    Decisions have consequences, not everything in life gets an automatic mulligan.
    KSU Firefighter
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 7,041 Senior Member
    2400 seems to be a fairly common listing for low-intensity rifle loads in Lyman's cast bullet book. I can tell you that 20 grains of it makes for a fun .30-06 load with 180gr gas checked slugs. Might make a good 7.62x39 propellant.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee