Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

US sells arms to UAE. Will this keep Iran in Check?

robert38-55robert38-55 Senior MemberPosts: 3,621 Senior Member
I remember a few decades ago about once a month on the news there would be reports of US arms sells to other nations. This is the first one I have seen in a long while. I know arms deals go on all the time between the US and other countries.
This must be the USA's attempt to counter the threat by Iran to block the shipping lanes in the Strait of Hormuz,which is a vital persian Gulf oil transport route. My question is why aren't we selling arms to Israel? The article mentions the fact that the USA is selling 84 new fighter jets and upgrades for more jets to Saudi Arabia. Why don't we sell these to Israel instead of Saudi Arabia? I know that Saudi Arabia is supposed to be one of our allies in the middle east, but I have always suspected them of "Playing both sides of the fence."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45832198/ns/us_news-security/
"It is what it is":usa:

Replies

• joseph06joseph06 Member Posts: 133 Member
    I can't hel what makes it to news, but we've been selling aircraft and military hardware to UAE for some time. I remember the first set of F16s was sold to them in 2007, if I'm getting the dates right. As for Israel, they've got equipment bought from the US, and from other countries, which they've improved on themselves.

People who make their money from news articles like to make things in to a bigger deal than they are--there's a context for everything.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,123 Senior Member
    If Israel asked, we'd probably sell to them; then they'd make their own copy.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,975 Senior Member
    The US won't make a big public deal with Israel, especially these days. But you can probably rest assured knowing there is a LOT of arms sitting around that country that originated from here.
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,321 Senior Member
    Because Saudi Arabia has something to pay for them with and the Israelis don't?
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    Bigslug wrote: »
    Because Saudi Arabia has something to pay for them with and the Israelis don't?

Woah.......... :yikes:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996