Home Main Category Personal Defense

Ever wish you had or were glad you hadn't?

Dr. dbDr. db Senior MemberPosts: 1,541 Senior Member
This is what I mean. I had just moved into an apartment. Heard noise and gradually realized the woman in the next was being assaulted. 1980. No phone. No gun. All I could do was to knock on her door and yell. DB escaped out the back way. Wish I had a CCW then. What's your story?

Replies

• bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,581 Senior Member
    I gather by your post, I hope - your knocking on the door saved her and if so that is a good thing, blowing up the BG would had been a service to humanity but stopping a crime from being carried on a very positive thing still.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
  • N320AWN320AW Senior Member Posts: 648 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    What difference would that have made? What would you have done differently?

Good question!
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,715 Senior Member
    Well, there I was in the Far East and there was this
    Oh, I forgot this is a family forum.
    Story :banned:
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Dr. dbDr. db Senior Member Posts: 1,541 Senior Member
    I would have done the same thing with the same result. There was one of me and two doors. I just remember wishing I had a gun and training.
  • Gene LGene L Senior Member Posts: 11,743 Senior Member
    As it turned out, you didn't need anything, much less a CCW. Any gun would have been fine.
    Concealed carry is for protection, open carry is for attention.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,156 Senior Member
    BPsniper wrote: »
    I have never needed a gun and not had one.

I have never had a gun and used it irresponsibly in a defensive situation.

Same here. However, in my attempted home invasion, I REALLY wished I had something bigger than a handgun.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,543 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Same here. However, in my attempted home invasion, I REALLY wished I had something bigger than a handgun.

You should definitely go big if you're going to invade someone's home. :tooth:
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Came close some years ago in El Paso. Gal who worked in our department was moving her stuff to a new apartment, came around and asked if some of us might come by Saturday and haul a few boxes and some clothes, she would spring for pizza and beer after. We said okay.

We were into the 2nd trip and nearly finished, in her old apartment complex parking lot, she was carrying stuff down to us (3 other guys, 3 cars) and her ex-boyfriend (and ex roommate) shows up drunk. He stands there yelling and cursing her and us both, really vile stuff about her, how she was going to, er, "reward" us after, and so on.

None of us paid him any attention, at least we tried not to, but he really got into our face. I was loading some of the gal's boxes into my car trunk and had my Ruger .357 there, and I came within a fraction of simply taking it out, pointing it at him, and telling him to run away, fast.

A few seconds, whoop!, up drive the cops, called by a neighbor who knew the guy, knew he was a jerk, and that she'd taken out a protective order against him. Naturally he was off to jail and the move was completed without incident.

It might have been otherwise, my "threatening a defenseless man" (which would have been partly true) that the cops saw. But all they witnessed were some peaceful friends helping with a move.

Yeah, it would have really been wrong for me to pull out the gun, or mostly so, this being prior to the concealed carry law in Texas so my having a loaded handgun in my car was a no-no. I might have been charged and arrested, might have beaten the rap but it would have still cost me lots of lawyering money. Yeah, the guy was sort of threatening us but we were 4:1 and he had only yelled, not made a physical move. So whether I would have been overreacting, questionable in the eyes of the law.

Thinking back later that evening, I realized "glad I didn't" and nobody even knew I was armed.

Of course, we all asked the gal why she didn't warn us and she said we might then have not helped her. Duh.
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Not at all gun related, but...... About a year ago or more, my brother and I were helping my sister move out of her house away from her weirdo husband that broke their wedding vowels. She was trying to do so while he was at work because they were in the ackward and sometimes violent part of the divorce and he would easily flip his lid. He somehow found out that my brother, I, and a moving truck were there and came flying to the house in his car and came to an abrupt stop in the front yard with his car tires literally digging into the grass. Out he comes from his car with a baseball bat, not talking threatening but giving off body language that said he was threatening to "do something." My brother and I could have easily beaten him into a bloody pulp after he ran his mouth and tried to "go off" on the moving crew and ourselfs, but we remained cool. Now that I look back on it, I wish I would have just beat his face into the ground for putting my sister through what he did and being a prick. Just saying.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    A glad you didn't moment.....

Driving in front of one of them super big box stores, where doing 5 mph is like you're speeding, and noticed a car load going the other way with 4 occupants ALL WEARING MASKS!!!!! Turning my head back to the front I saw that the next parking isle turn was going my way and turned into a handicap space, put it in park and looked back at the car, which had stopped in front of the main entrance, doors opened, masked men exited....... othe driver had a black boxy looking thing in his hand and pointed towards the entrance.

I had no cell phone with which to call police. I was armed and thought I'd only get involved if there was a life at risk.

Turns out it was teenagers doing a practical (not at all funny) joke, the driver with boxy black thing in his hand was a cam-corder, and he was filming the others who began beating an inflatable green alien (like you'd get at Spencers in the mall) with wiffle bats or something, while shoppers came and went, the least aware puzzled at the spectacle while many more I'm sure were briefly scared.

In the spirit of the "Teachable Moment" it was also a wish I had moment. If only to soil 4 pairs of ****'s.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    ghost, sorry, I had to smile at "wedding vowels".

Jack -- what you witnessed was an example of how brainwashed today's kids are. These kids were obviously good kids overall and meant no harm, but never thought it through. You were quiet and acted properly, just watched and waited.

But imagine some less stable concealed carry guy, seeing the start of the "masked robber" and who simply decided to blast away. Could easily happen. Then you'd have maybe a couple dead kids, one guy on his way to jail, and for nothing.

Pranks are fine. Just be sure of your surroundings and consider the consequences. I was thinking about that reality show -- I've never watched it -- where they try to scare the "victim" somehow, like a robber or a monster or whatever. What the hell do they do if the target keels over with a heart attack? Or grabs a chair and clubs the intruder to death before anybody can stop him? Jackass doesn't even begin to describe the label.
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    Kids these days... now where's my "curmudgeon" cap?

A few months back, I was done and pulling out from the gas station pumps when a teenage kid (high schooler), sitting in the passenger seat of his buddy's Crown Vic, thought he'd be funny and holds up a pair of nunchucks and tries to strike a "ninja pose" and facial expession (mind you, the kid likely shops in the "Husky" department of JC Penney's and is seated in a car, so the whole picture is ridiculous!) My thoughts first ran to "if only", then as I turned to exit the lot, the Crown Vic positioned broadside in front of me with the kid's door facing my '96 Explorer, I realized I had a far superior "weapon" to this kid's grain flail. Considered for a second goosing the accelerator and aiming for the door, just to make a point...

Small town, dumb kid, odds are he was just feeling his oats a bit.
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    I was thinking about that reality show -- I've never watched it -- where they try to scare the "victim" somehow, like a robber or a monster or whatever. What the hell do they do if the target keels over with a heart attack? Or grabs a chair and clubs the intruder to death before anybody can stop him? Jackass doesn't even begin to describe the label.

Those have a special place in my angst.

I was staying in a rental house a few months back with some "kids" 18-28 actually (but really how many of them grow up before 30 now-a-days, if at all). They were flipping channels and settled on some UK reality show where the star would go into retaurants and bars (obviously in the UK) and start screaming "This a hold up!!!! Everyone on the floor, NOW!!!!" and he would score, ala bowling, how many of the British Sheeple (bowling pins) he "got" with his unarmed requests, then laugh maniacally as rushed out. The "kids" I was staying with thought it was hilarious, as did the UK studio audience. Watching from the kitchen I was appalled and I was incensed. I was incensed at being appalled.
    If I could've cut one loose without damaging or endangering anything or anybody, like if a clearing barrel suddenly appeared in that kitchen, or even just a Black Cat to light off, just to see how many of those kids I would have "got" then laugh maniacally.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
    Of course it was the UK. Try that in Texas and you're likely to end up perforated.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,742 Senior Member
    Before I was even old enough to CC, I had a gun pulled on me in Roswell NM (I now surmise that my friend and I stumbled upon a drug deal and they wanted to scare us off, it worked). I got the hell outta dodge and the PD found the guy, but had the thug tried to do more than just scare me off I would have been .
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    "her weirdo husband that broke their wedding vowels."

That is almost as funny as the marriage vow(el)s where the preacher kept referring to the scarce (sacred) vow(el)s......
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
  • ghostsniper1ghostsniper1 Banned Posts: 2,645 Senior Member
    Yep Doc and Sam, ya got me on one. Im usually more careful with my grammar lol.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,954 Senior Member
    bobbyrlf3 wrote: »
    You should definitely go big if you're going to invade someone's home. :tooth:

:spittingcoffee::rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug