Added a Five-seveN to the FN Family

mythaeusmythaeus Senior MemberPosts: 831 Senior Member
Been wanting a Five-seveN for a while. Came across a good deal for an USG model so got it "for Christmas". Not completely impressed with it on our first trip to the range today as both my wife and I struggled to hold tight groups. We generally are pretty good with never-before-shot guns. It's likely because it's still new to us. We'll see on the next outing if we will improve.

397068_2721456129611_1653300211_2565993_1802797851_n.jpg

405099_2721460969732_1653300211_2566000_1161990627_n.jpg

387968_2721458249664_1653300211_2565996_1613022117_n.jpg

407020_2721456929631_1653300211_2565994_1000295381_n.jpg

Al
"In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,869 Senior Member
    Looks good Al :beer:
    :yousuck:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,272 Senior Member
    Congrats, it's an interesting caliber if they would just put it in a platform that is not so god awful ugly.

Sako
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Great looking pistol Al (great looking FN's).

I've been interested in that combo (57 and 2000) ever since the first Splinter Cell game came out (those were the only two guns the main character carried), I'll eventually have one of each, but that won't happen for a while. :tooth:
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,355 Senior Member
    I kinda dig the FN 5.7 series looks. The P90 is one wild looking bullpup, but I've always dug it. The Five-seveN pistol is another oddball I enjoy looking at, I just don't know how practical it is to relaod the round.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    At first I looked at the 5.7 as a sort of joke, but I'm getting more and more interested. I would not turn down an AR-57 upper. Nice collection BTW!
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Nice! Those are some cool looking toys! You trying to gain on BP? lol
  • mythaeusmythaeus Senior Member Posts: 831 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Looks good Al :beer:
    :yousuck:

Thanks Paul.
    sakodude wrote: »
    Congrats, it's an interesting caliber if they would just put it in a platform that is not so god awful ugly.

Sako

:tooth: I don't really care for the look of the Five-seveN, but love the way the PS90 looks.
    Eli wrote: »
    Great looking pistol Al (great looking FN's).

I've been interested in that combo (57 and 2000) ever since the first Splinter Cell game came out (those were the only two guns the main character carried), I'll eventually have one of each, but that won't happen for a while. :tooth:

Everyone's time will come. It took me a while to acquire these.
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    I kinda dig the FN 5.7 series looks. The P90 is one wild looking bullpup, but I've always dug it. The Five-seveN pistol is another oddball I enjoy looking at, I just don't know how practical it is to relaod the round.

I love the PS90. It's really nice to handle, shoot, and control. I'm not reloading at this time so it is a bit on the expensive side to shoot. Although, in the end, it costs around the same as brass case .223/5.56.
    At first I looked at the 5.7 as a sort of joke, but I'm getting more and more interested. I would not turn down an AR-57 upper. Nice collection BTW!

I sold my AR-57 upper after having it for a year. It had issues with feeding SS197SR (VMax tip), the cheapest 5.7x28mm. I couldn't justify keeping it.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    Nice! Those are some cool looking toys! You trying to gain on BP? lol

Oh, God no. I only have semi-auto stuff. No way I'm getting even close to the Shrub's or Wambli's cool stuff.

Al
  • GTS197GTS197 New Member Posts: 18 New Member
    Very nice!!!

I love the FN stuff!
    In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance, or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,744 Senior Member
    Very nice...Like the "family portrait"!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    Thank you all.
    BPsniper wrote: »
    We had a bunch of P90s for Dig Pro but nobody really liked them and so they never got used. It was the whole, train on one platform the majority of the time and switch to another for special purpose. Just to much to keep up with and the mechanics were SO different that it didn't make sense. They became dust collectors. Just like the UMP-40s.

The operating mechanic of the P90 is definitely very different from the M4's. If you train on the M4 most of the time, I can see why it makes no sense to use the P90. It looks like the Secret Service like them though. I'm not a pro, but elected to use the PS90 for HD. I like the PS90 for the 5.7x28mm round lower chance of over penetration, its light weight, its compactness (I can't get signature for SBRs in Philly)...and the 50rd mag.

What's Dig Pro, BTW?

Al
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,731 Senior Member
    Very nice acquisition!

Looks like you have the whole family. Very cool.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Very nice acquisition!

Looks like you have the whole family. Very cool.

Thanks...still missing a SCAR still ... one day, not any day soon :tooth:

Al
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    shouldn't it be dig poo?
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    That would be fling poo.

Nice find, Al.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Very cool equipment! I agree that the Five-Seven is ugly, but it is an interesting cartridge, and the results are hard to refute.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,803 Senior Member
    The 5.7 would take off if... anyone but FN made a gun for it AND the 5.7 round could be made by multiple manufacturers. It's a pricy toy. Nice, nevertheless. Can you imagine if it was $10 for 50 rounds? and the 5.7 reminds me a lot of the 7.62x25, just slimmer.

TAC TV did a segment on them and they really shine, the 2000 and especially the PS90 in personal defense up to 100 yards. The PS90 was really controlable on burst fire at significant distance. At least Larry Vickers could control it well.

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,115 Senior Member
    Nice Al!

When did you get a can for the PS90? Did you SBR it? Or is that a mock can?
    Overkill is underrated.
  • scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    Al,

The Five-Seven looks sweet! It is good to see you have lots of ammo commonality in your house.
  • SirGeorgeKillianSirGeorgeKillian Senior Member Posts: 5,458 Senior Member

When did you get a can for the PS90? Did you SBR it? Or is that a mock can?

Yeah, if it is a real can, will you try to get a threaded barrel for your Five seveN?
    Unless life also hands you water and sugar, your lemonade is gonna suck!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I'm in love with a Glock
    Thank you all.

BigDanS, there are a few other companies, including the one that makes AR Fiveseven and Excel Arms: http://www.excelarms.com/newproducts.html . You are absolutely right though on the alternative manufacturers of ammo. Elite Ammunition makes them, but all high end ammo, no plinkers. Elite S4M is claimed to have "slighter better wounding effect than Federal Hydrashok 230gr JHP" (I'm skeptical though).

Bream, no, it's a fake can. A CMMG Gemtech fake to be exact. Like SBR and AOW, I can't get the signature of the CLEO (or sheriff or judge who presides over felony cases). Hopefully the signature part will go away in a couple of years. There's an effort to get that dropped. I'll post that info on a separate thread in a few days. Pretty interesting development on that front actually.

Al
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    mythaeus wrote: »
    Been wanting a Five-seveN for a while. Came across a good deal for an USG model so got it "for Christmas". Not completely impressed with it on our first trip to the range today as both my wife and I struggled to hold tight groups. We generally are pretty good with never-before-shot guns. It's likely because it's still new to us. We'll see on the next outing if we will improve.

397068_2721456129611_1653300211_2565993_1802797851_n.jpg

405099_2721460969732_1653300211_2566000_1161990627_n.jpg

387968_2721458249664_1653300211_2565996_1613022117_n.jpg

407020_2721456929631_1653300211_2565994_1000295381_n.jpg

Al

Cool stuff! Not my cup of tea, but interesting.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    mythaeus wrote: »
    Thank you all.

BigDanS, there are a few other companies, including the one that makes AR Fiveseven and Excel Arms: http://www.excelarms.com/newproducts.html . You are absolutely right though on the alternative manufacturers of ammo. Elite Ammunition makes them, but all high end ammo, no plinkers. Elite S4M is claimed to have "slighter better wounding effect than Federal Hydrashok 230gr JHP" (I'm skeptical though).

Bream, no, it's a fake can. A CMMG Gemtech fake to be exact. Like SBR and AOW, I can't get the signature of the CLEO (or sheriff or judge who presides over felony cases). Hopefully the signature part will go away in a couple of years. There's an effort to get that dropped. I'll post that info on a separate thread in a few days. Pretty interesting development on that front actually.

Al

Hey Al, if you moved to Western PA, you could have all the SBR's and Cans that your wallet could handle!
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Cool stuff! Not my cup of tea, but interesting.

Thanks. Yeah, I find that a lot of people aren't into these, even simply for the looks.
    scarface wrote: »
    Hey Al, if you moved to Western PA, you could have all the SBR's and Cans that your wallet could handle!

I know, I know :bang: . As a matter of fact, all I really need to do is move 15-20 miles north to Bucks County and can get the signature very easily.

Al
  • Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Good looking family! I've been interested in the round for some time now as I now live in an apartment where my neighbors are very close and overpenetration could be a concern. Keep us updated on the Five-seveN, I think it could be a great gun for my recoil shy girlfriend.
    Good looking family! I've been interested in the round for some time now as I now live in an apartment where my neighbors are very close and overpenetration could be a concern. Keep us updated on the Five-seveN, I think it could be a great gun for my recoil shy girlfriend.

Thanks! It's surprisingly more recoil than expected. The gun is pretty light so it's at least the equivalent of shooting a Glock 19 or something even a bit stronger of a kick.

Al
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,772 Senior Member
    cool that means I get to try it

maybe you'll get a 73 too