Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

And now it's moving to Birmingham AL... AG sues city

knitepoetknitepoet Senior MemberPosts: 21,089 Senior Member
Alabama Gov Ivey signed a law back in May protecting historic monuments that have been on public property for 40+ years.
http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/05/gov_kay_ivey_signs_bill_protec.html
...to prohibit the relocation, removal, alteration, renaming, or other disturbance of any architecturally significant building, memorial building, memorial street, or monument located on public property which has been in place for 40 or more years...

Well, the mayor of Birmingham has decided erecting a wall around a 116 year old monument in a city park is okay under the law, and the Attorney General disagrees and has filed a lawsuit against the city.

http://www.al.com/news/birmingham/index.ssf/2017/08/ag_files_lawsuit_against_birmi.html

I have a feeling things have the potential to get "interesting" in the coming weeks/months
Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,395 Senior Member
    Bound to get interesting with that new law in place. TN has had a similar law in place for quite a while, but it hasn't slowed down the people hellbent on removing monuments. Memphis is in a tizzy over demanding the removal of NB Forrest's monument and moving his and his wife's graves somewhere else. Some of the fine citizens of that paragon of inclusiveness city tried to dig them up two nights ago and got, and the cops just let them go. I'd think grave robbing/desecration was illegal. And Franklin, TN just a little SSW of Nashville is on alert due to threats of tearing down an obelisk and the threatened burning of two houses. Crazy times.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    ...and to help energize that opposition, what would be better than bussing in a bunch of skin head thugs to hold a rally?
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    ...and to help energize that opposition, what would be better than bussing in a bunch of skin head thugs to hold a rally?

If only it was possible to freeze frame these protests and show exactly where all the protestors are from. I think both sides would receive a rude awakening.

Especially when it is learned how they got to all of these protests and who paid for it.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,128 Senior Member
    Agreed.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    What has concerned me for some time is the distinct possibility that some Jihad Jamal is going to pop off a magazine dump from a nearby rooftop while one of these confrontations is in progress, and kick off a real massacre. Several of the participants on both sides of the Charlottesville mess were armed (legally, it seems) but no shots were fired. Anybody remember "the shot heard round the world"? We haven't figured out yet who fired that one, in over 200 years.

In the early 1990's a couple of factions of the KKK and several other white trash groups held a march to the public square in Pulaski Tennessee, where there was a statue of Sam Davis- - - - -a Confederate spy who chose to be hanged rather than disclose other members of his group of informants. Pulaski city managers chose passive resistance- - - -they just asked all the businesses in town to shut down for the day. The idiots got to have their march- - - -in a virtual ghost town with approximately one cop for every marcher lining their route. Sam's statue was shrouded by scaffolding and canvas tarps- - - -for "maintenance"!
    :jester:
    Jerry
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    This morning on our local news, they said that the mayor of Pensacola is making plans to remove all Confederate monuments from the city. Pensacola is one of the oldest cities in the country and steeped in history but now some of that history will be conveniently erased.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 10,904 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    This morning on our local news, they said that the mayor of Pensacola is making plans to remove all Confederate monuments from the city. Pensacola is one of the oldest cities in the country and steeped in history but now some of that history will be conveniently erased.

When will it stop? When they tear down the Washington monument?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,147 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    When will it stop?

It won't. Ever.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    It's getting to be like an avalanche. Small snowball to start and it takes out the whole mountainside. Arkansas discovered more that just what CPJ related as to statues, and monuments, and graveyard monuments, and they are ALL up for removal. Removing a memorial in a graveyard to recognize those that aren't buried there, but in a mass graveyard on a battlefield somewhere puts the people responsible for the removal somewhere below whale poop at the bottom of the Mariana Trench.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    The people on both sides of this debate are getting dumped on by those hijacking this stuff for their own agenda. It's a bad deal.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Is Mount Rushmore on the hit list? Washington & Jefferson replaced with Bat-ears Obama and MLK? There ain't enough rock on that mountain to get those ears in proportion.
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    When all the cities are renamed and the statues are down, what/who is next.

Denzel Hayes Washington, Jr. you listening.
    Is Mount Rushmore on the hit list? Washington & Jefferson replaced with Bat-ears Obama and MLK? There ain't enough rock on that mountain to get those ears in proportion.

Now that you mention it, YES THEY ARE. There is a large group on the Left (can't remember their name at the moment; these groups are legion) are calling for the bas relief sculptures of Washington and Jefferson to be removed from Mt. Rushmore.

Here ya go. Lots of links to choose from here.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=group+wants+washington+and+jefferson+removed+from+mt+rushmore&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001
    ― Douglas Adams
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member

Yes. They want to remove Washington and Jefferson cuz slavery.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2017/08/16/jackson-washington-park-protest-presidents-slave-owners/
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

• TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    They want to remove Washington and Jefferson [/url]

If they substitute Obummer, where do the plan on finding a 500-ton lump of coal to do the sculpture?
    Jerry
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    If they substitute Obummer, where do the plan on finding a 500-ton lump of coal to do the sculpture?
    Jerry

Coal? I was thinking of something less fossilized...
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod