New gun, new optic, and a Black Friday Plano case. (pic heavy)

EliEli Senior MemberPosts: 3,074 Senior Member
Bought it around the middle of November, but have just now got around to taking pics.

I get to scratch "Pump Gun" off of the short list.

Remington 870.

NewYearspics2011040.jpg

NewYearspics2011035.jpg

NewYearspics2011027.jpg

On Black Friday I picked up one of those Plano-elican cases that Wally World had on sale. My little AR fits perfectly, and with the removable foam cubes, you can custom fit the stuff you plan on keeping in the case at all times. I have a spot for my mags, my sling, and a bulk pack of .22 ammo.

NewYearspics2011004.jpg

This morning I received my last gun related purchase of 2011 in the mail. It's a Lucid HD7 red dot sight. I've been looking into buying a mid range red dot (Vortex Strikefire or Sparc) for my little AR for a while now, but I'm really not crazy about a plain dot optic, and couldn't bring myself to drop a couple hundred bucks on something that I had reservations about.

Lucid's HD7 allows you to switch between four different reticles including the EOtech style circle dot reticle that I prefer. Just have got it mounted so I haven't been to the range yet. But plan to go sometime this weekend, report will be coming soon.

It's aircraft aluminum wrapped in a rubberized coating and it feels like a REALLY sturdy optic, it also had two features that I really like.......one being the ability to co-witness my sights, something that's been a problem with low priced red dots and their mounts in the past........the other is the fact that it's adjustments are half MOA instead of one per. Like I said, I haven't taken it to the range yet, but I think it will work out fine.

NewYearspics2011017.jpg

NewYearspics2011011.jpg

Replies

• LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    Sweet. Love that Remington.
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • EliEli Senior Member Posts: 3,074 Senior Member
    Thanks. I had an 870 a few years ago. Something was seriously wrong with it, after you fired a round the pump would become SERIOUSLY stuck. Bought it, fired 50 rounds through it, the pump jammed 48 times, traded it off.

Was hanging out in the LGS in the middle of nov. when Allen told me he had something I needed to take home. Came with the side saddle and a 100 round bulk pack of field loads for $250. I just couldn't say no. :tooth:
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Very nice! I'll be looking forward to a review on that optic when you get around to it. I put a Strikefire on my AR. I like it but I'm not exactly wowed by it. I'd really like an Eotech with the 3x magnifier but that's way out of my price range.
    Also, how's that AVG working for you? I have the regular straight RVG on mine. I'm happy with it but still curious about those.
  • shawn1172shawn1172 Senior Member Posts: 588 Senior Member
    Great deal on that 870. I had the same problem with mine, but not quite as bad. Even though the lgs (cabelas) had a no return policy on firearms they saw that it was defective, took it back and ordered me a new one. Exact same model but the second one ran fine. Had it 2 years now without a problem. If the second one did it too I would have switched to a Mossberg. I had picked this particular 870 because it was a HD/Field combo with 18 and 26" barrels on sale, $100 off. You should have seen my gf flip out over that thing- when I brought it home she asked why it has 2 barrels. I held the short barrel in one hand and long in the other and said "indoor barrel and outdoor barrel" She freaked out, yelling "You can't shoot that thing in the house!!!!" LOL
    shawn1172 wrote: »
    Also, how's that AVG working for you? I have the regular straight RVG on mine. I'm happy with it but still curious about those.

It's pretty much perfect. I shoot with my reaction hand as far out as possible, and the AFG positions it at pretty much the perfect angle. Choosing between just the straight rails and a VFG, I prefer the straight rails, but the AFG give you just the right degree of position.
    BPsniper wrote: »
    A very simple and effective 870 ya got there. Nice!

Thanks BP, I swapped the factory stock for a Houge Overmold with a 12" LOP, and at some point in time I'm going to change the sights on it, either something along the lines of an XS big dot bead, or perhaps a set of ghost ring sights, but that's the extent of mods I have planned for this one. It's pretty danged satisfactory just the way it is.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,866 Senior Member
    Looks good Eli :beer:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Wheelsman56Wheelsman56 Member Posts: 225 Member
    Awesome bro! I love that 870. How much did you pay for the red dot if you dont mind me asking?
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,968 Senior Member
    Nice shotgun, wish I'd bought one of those than the one I did. [887]
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
    Awesome bro! I love that 870. How much did you pay for the red dot if you dont mind me asking?

I used a coupon code from the Military Arms Channel and bought the optic from 3 Rivers Precision. After the discount the optic and shipping was $185 and change.

The coupon code is MACHD7.

Military Arms Channel HD7 Review:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTqJnIGQ7h4

3 Rivers Precision Website:
    http://www.3riversprecision.com/index.php?target=products&product_id=72806
  • scarfacescarface Member Posts: 263 Member
    Eli,

I dig your setup on the AR. It looks like a great little shooter. You can't go wrong with the Remington 870. That right there is the perfect KISS shotgun. Nice job.
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Nice shotgun. Nice case. Nice optic. A triple suck to end the year. You done good.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Cool stuff, man. I dig that 870. What's up with the cross pins being bolts, and the safety looks funky. Some kinda upgraded kit on there? I like that fore end too.

Tell me more about that gun case. I love my Pelican, but dang, can't afford one of them for every gun. I have a buncha cheapos, too. Is that one somewhere in the middle?
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,112 Senior Member
    I'm not Eli, but I think the cross pins are bolts to hold on the sidesaddle, and the safety seems a large-head "tactical" model. Didn't notice the safety.
    Overkill is underrated.
    That makes sense. I didn't think about the saddle. I kinda like the bigger looking safety button, might be handy on a hunting shotgun, easier to work with gloves on.
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Sweet! good looking, effective and reliable; you got all the bases covered!
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    jbohio wrote: »
    Cool stuff, man. I dig that 870. What's up with the cross pins being bolts, and the safety looks funky. Some kinda upgraded kit on there? I like that fore end too.

Tell me more about that gun case. I love my Pelican, but dang, can't afford one of them for every gun. I have a buncha cheapos, too. Is that one somewhere in the middle?

Yep, what Earl said. The bolts hold the side-saddle on and the safety is some kind of oversized model.....don't know what brand, but it seems to work pretty well.

The case is a Plano Gun Guard AW Tactical 36 inch gun case. They are regularly around a hundred bucks, but on black friday Walmart had them on sale for thirty dollars. I'd say that they're about 85% the quality of a Pelican case. Still a decent deal at a C-note, but an absolute steal at thirty......unfortunately I was broke on black friday, so I could only buy one. If I would've had the money to buy them, I assure you that I would've came home with three or four.
    Good to know, thanks. :beer:
    I'll have to check those cases out.
    Got to put a few mags through the M&P this afternoon. Range was only about ten yards, so no real basis for how good the optic is. The circle dot reticle is very crisp, and although there is a slight red tint to the optic when it's turned off, while you're using it, it's crystal clear.

One thing I will say, being able to cowitness you irons makes close range sighting in a breeze!