Do your dogs and cats seem to have "moods"?

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
I'm not of course talking about human moods and I'm not trying to anthromorposize. It's just that sometimes my cat is in a very loveable mood and sometimes it's "meh" when I'm around.

This afternoon, for example, I was in the bedroom arranging my laundry and went back to the living room, sat down to check the news. My huge orange cat RJ was asleep on the sofa.

A couple minutes later, he jumps up, gives a big meow, and runs and leaps for me, jumping on my lap, purring and snuggling up, very affectionate.

I've seen this happen once in a while right after he wakes up. All I can think is that maybe he had a cat-oriented nightmare (chased or afraid, whatever primal emotions he has) and then waking, sees me, the food-bringer and alpha cat, and really wants some loving then and there.

Other times he barely glances at me.

I find it highly amusing but also wonder whether this is a true "mood" (yes, more primitive than we humans) or just my imagination.

Do your dogs and cats seem to occasionally portray these moods?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Yes...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,420 Senior Member
    Most definitely, particularly the Vizsla.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,967 Senior Member
    Dogs do, make them mad and they may ignore you for days.
    A Veteran is someone that served in the Military, it does not matter where they served.
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Dogs do, make them mad and they may ignore you for days.

Exactly the point I was trying to make, you said it best. It's not that they fear you, it's that they're actually angry with you. My cat meows at me at 1am, wanting to go out and "play" on the patio. I tell him no, and he occasionally runs at me from behind and bats my ankles. He's genuinely PO'd.

Which always makes me laugh, even though I know it's "rude" to laugh at our dogs and cats. Laugh with them, okay. Laugh at? They just chalk it up -- "When we take over..."

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    My oldest dog Missy gets madder than all get out at me every time I give her a hair cut. How long she gives me the cold shoulder will range from 3 hours to a whole day. Our other dog Gabby doesn't like it but she has never been one to hold a grudge so she loves me pretty quick again after a hair cut.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,731 Senior Member
    samzhere wrote: »
    ..................and really wants some food then and there.

Other times he barely glances at me.

Fixed it for you Sam.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Fixed it for you Sam.

I had an editor like that once. Only once. He kept trying to write his own story into mine. I told him finally, just comment on mine, write your own. ha ha

No, the cat will definitely tell me when he's hungry. He'll meow and stand by the kitchen and stomp his feet for a while. If I ignore him he'll give up and take a nap. The affection is different. He gives me a "get ready" meow and springs up onto my lap (all 18 pounds of him), boing!!

• alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    Absolutely! My lab can get quite spiteful when we leave her home alone for too long. She gets sad and sulks when she sees the suitcases come out and senses that we're going to leave her and go on a trip. Other times she gets super excited and happy.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • NyGunownerNyGunowner Banned Posts: 328 Member
    Of course. Humans didn't evolve emotion any more than we evolved feet. My dog even smiles in an obvious and appropriate way Even the vet commented one day "Oh, I can see Sparky's happy today" and ya know, he was. Unlike earlier visits when he was quite tense and fearful (the same vet neutered him and always gives him shots), there was a visit after he'd been sick, gone to the vet and got better, and we'd continually told him "come on, take your pill, Doctor said it'll make you feel better" throughout the ordeal. The follow-up visit a week later he was feeling better and on the way to the vet, I said "Sparky, we're gonna go see Doctor Bill. He helped you feel better. Doctor Bill's a good guy" etc. Upon arrival he smiled and offered to shake with the vet, something he'd NEVER done in 7 years.

We knew he had very appropriate moods similar to ours for years. He suffers mild separation anxiety, especially when "grandpa" (my FIL) goes out. I can tell him "Grandpa be back soon" and he'll sigh and go get a stuffed toy to chew. When "grandpa" returns, he's at the door, tail wagging and I'll say "Grandpa coming? and he'll grin and wait at the door for the minute or two it takes the old man to get to the house. The last time I went away for a week,I forgot to talk to him before I left. Normally Id say "I got work. I'll be back" before leaving and he's pretty good. This time I forgot and my wife said he didn't eat anything except his "cookies" (milk bones) for three days, instead lying under the coffee table ignoring her attempts to get him to even look in his dish.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    yep. definitely.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    Ah, NYG, you put it right. Our animals do have genuine emotions.

Since I retired my cat RJ is now used to my being around all the time, which he loves. I adopted him when he was pretty young and I could tell that he'd never been shown affection, which of course all our pets crave.

Now that I'm home a lot, it's a big production when I go out, especially stay out after dark. When girlfriend and I went to see Dave Alvin, then nachos after, we got back here about 4am and he was pitching a fit. When I walked in he ran around and rubbed my legs and meowed.

I see that you also talk to your dog. I think our pets gain some good vibes from us when they hear us talk. My cat RJ knows a few words when I say them -- outside, food, of course his name. But generally talking to them, although they don't know the words, they still like. Our voices make them calmer, it seems.

samzhere wrote: »
    Ah, NYG, you put it right. Our animals do have genuine emotions.

Since I retired my cat RJ is now used to my being around all the time, which he loves. I adopted him when he was pretty young and I could tell that he'd never been shown affection, which of course all our pets crave.

Now that I'm home a lot, it's a big production when I go out, especially stay out after dark. When girlfriend and I went to see Dave Alvin, then nachos after, we got back here about 4am and he was pitching a fit. When I walked in he ran around and rubbed my legs and meowed.

I see that you also talk to your dog. I think our pets gain some good vibes from us when they hear us talk. My cat RJ knows a few words when I say them -- outside, food, of course his name. But generally talking to them, although they don't know the words, they still like. Our voices make them calmer, it seems.

Yep, and he talks to me. He says "Love you", "Brown truck" (ups) "ambul"(ance), "outside", "hung"(ry), "no", "with you" (when I'm about to go somewhere), and a handful of other recognizable words. It started when he was little, wanting his belly rubbed, he'd lay on his back and say "love you" quite clearly, because my son, then 10, would rub his belly and say "I love you". Once we realized he COULD talk, I treated him the same as I;d treated my kids as babies, asking "what do you want?" or "what is that sound?" etc., expecting a response. Honestly he's not easy to understand, and probably says many other words we don't "get", and undoubtedly KNOWS hundreds of words. I treat him like i would a year old child or handicapped person, expecting a response, and often get one. It's kinda neat when he'll start barking out "roun ruck" repeatedly until I say "ok, "brown" is coming. Thank you" and he'll relax. A few minutes later the UPS guy will arrive, and I'll say "Yep, he heard you 5 minutes ago and told me you were coming. I'll ask Sparky "Who's that?" and he'll answer "roun" The UPS guy shakes his head and walks off....

A typical conversation with him might be when I'm bout to go somewhere and he starts begging "with you" incessantly. We've taught him that dogs aren't allowed at work, so in the event I'm not in the mood to take him with me, I say "Not this time. I got work", and he accepts that. But if I simply say "not this time" he will keep begging......
    Lordy, NY, that's hilarious. My mom had a dog that talked, or tried to. I've seen a few of them. My cat naturally only says "miaaaaw" but I can certainly detect the different "words" he's saying from the tone.

Not long ago I microwaved this lowcal veggie entree with lots of mushrooms and a pretty dark flavor. I don't think I'll buy that particular item again but it was protein and I was too lazy to fix anything more complex. Anyway, cat was sitting on a nearby table watching me eat, staring intently at the food. Of course I leaned over and held the dish under his nose "want some?" and naturally he went like some little kid, "ewww". I get such a kick out of him, a good little pal.

The down side of a smart dog is, he's a smart DOG, which means he has the intelligence of a **** 2 yr old, but thinks he's gonna be boss. A little while ago he was bugging the wife for something to eat. "Hung(ry) right now" he insisted. Of course, just as she did with our son when he was little, my wife begins arguing with the dog. After four or five rounds of exact repetition from both of them, I said "Hon, he has a brain as big as a walnut, what's your excuse?" So now to be wise, she offers him ice cream, which he decides he wants and devours instantly. A few minutes later he again claimed to be hungry. I said "no more" so he goes to the wife and says "outside". I let him out and watched. He sauntered around a minute or three then came back to the house, expecting a "cookie" for being a good dog (the routine after he goes out). The little monster obviously had figured he couldn't get another snack by asking for it, so he'd use plan "B". Nope, I wasn't buying it. "No cookie for you. You didn't do anything." He's beating up a stuffed squirrel now, frustrated at his failed con.
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 9,556 Senior Member
    This is the, "Wasn't me..... The cats did it!!'' look........

297403_162535950492507_100002083100657_327542_7465632_n.jpg
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
    jbp-ohio wrote: »
    This is the, "Wasn't me..... The cats did it!!'' look........

297403_162535950492507_100002083100657_327542_7465632_n.jpg

he's telling ya something, namely "You left me alone too long and I'm mad." Mine will shred any paper he can get hold of and leave the bits in the drivers seat of the truck if I leave him too long while in a store, etc.
  • DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    My dog Patrick will many times ignore Me, but if I pretend to pet an imaginary cat, he runs over, he also likes to watch TV / movies if there is a dog in it.

If I am eating he knows not to beg, he tries to act like he is not interested as he knows it is the best way to get some.
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996
    NewYork, yesterday (New Years Eve) I stopped by the local icehouse to say hi to friends and this fella had his dog with him. It was one of those Alaskan wolf-looking dogs w. the blue eyes, I can't remember the breed name. Gorgeous young dog, I guessed 2 years old.

So we're talking among friends and the dog is very well trained, and the owner tells the dog to say "I love you" to this gal. The dog KNOWS what he's supposed to do because he gets all shy and hunkers down, and opens his mouth a couple times, then suddenly barks happily "whoo whoo" which I suppose is "Wooove Wuuu" if you used your imagination.

Reminded me of your smartie dog. Regardless of the smarts, this was one handsome dog, thankfully well groomed and happy, too.

Looking right now at my big ol' fuzzy orange buddy RJ, who certainly can't talk but is still very good at letting me know what he wants.

I love 'em all. They're such great friends.

• Lonewolf-PeruLonewolf-Peru Member Posts: 349 Member
    cpj wrote: »
    our previous doggy was great at holding a grudge. ..... You had to wait to the next day before she got over it.

...my late dog Blue was like that. Every time I took him to the Pet Shop for a bath, he refused to "speak" to me for the rest of the day..
    Sparky loves Christmas. He understands the wrapped packages contain presents, some of them for him. This year we had a few gifts under the tree after the big day for relatives who were to come by later. Today the wife decided to take the tree down, and put the packages away for now. Sparky raised perfect he** as she took the decorations and lights off the tree and took it outside. I came in a little while later and he was laying down in the kitchen, facing a corner, mad.

I called him over and asked "what's the matter?" He barked a few times and kept eyeballing the wife out of the corner of his eye as if to say he was mad at her.
    "Oh, mommy took the tree?" I asked. He went over to where the tree had been in the living room, sniffed the rug, looked back at me and barked some more.

Yeah, I'd say he was in a mood. The conversation also demonstrates he understood exactly what I was asking him.....
  • WheelWheel Member Posts: 102 Member
    A few years ago, I went to the "Big Island" of Hawaii to spend a weekend with a friend on his farm.

He had a border collie who had the ability to form syllables and consonants with her vocal chords.

I'm certain she understood English and couldn't understand why we ignored what she had to say.

I'm not even joking, I really mean it.

Early one morning I went for a walk and the dog lead the way.

She ran through the game trails and checked on me every half a minute or so as I took the trails I could take while walking upright.

In one clearing she walked me over to a grass wall about ten feet tall.

When we got within about fifty feet of the grass she stopped, looked at the grass wall and then looked at me.

She trotted off and I'm sure she expected me to follow, but a pig snout at ground level in the grass had caught my eye and I stood there looking at it.

This is the equipment I had with me:
    A folded up umbrella in my left hand.
    A pair of heavy Klein lineman's pliers in a holster.
    A box of Marlboro cigs in my right back pocket.

The pig exploded out of the grass squealing horrendously.

If the squeal was supposed to scare me it worked very well.

I instinctively grabbed at the Klein's as I have done a million times at work, but the heavy pliers were not where they usually were because of the cigs in my pocket.

The pig closed the distance before I could do anything but bend down and try to block it's head with my left fist which had the umbrella.

I was surprised that my fist didn't connect with the pig, it had been distracted by being charged by the snarling dog.

The pig had switched targets from me to the dog.

The dog and the pig (which I could then plainly see was a boar) went 'round and 'round for what seemed like a good while.

The boar never could get it's tusks into the quick little dog and the pig ran off into the grass.

The dog just stood there and looked at me for a long moment.

She led the way back to the house.

I $#*! you not, I believe if I had actually touched that boar with my left hand it would have ripped open the soft side of my wrist.

The next time you consider yourself smarter than any dog, remember that your opposable thumbs and superior intellect only get you so far.

If I thought I could have given that dog a better home than the one it already had, I'd have spent half my life savings.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    We have 2 cats, they are brother and sister, the guy is more friendly, active and loves human contact, the girl is the other side of the coin, more independent, aloof and not into sharing but every once in a while will require her dose of petting. Still they get along great and love to play with each other.
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".