Graphics cards - warning

QuinianQuinian Senior MemberPosts: 707 Senior Member
I went out and got myself a Radeon 6770HD. Before I explain a slight nightmare let me just say that now that it's working I love it.

Mostly I just wanted to post to any of you geeks out there. Before you break into some epic nerd rage (like I did) after buying an XFX/AMd/Radeon product you should know that the install cd contains no drivers only a pop up saying go to xfxforce.com to get the driver. You get there to find out they don't have any downloads at all on their site. What no one bothers to tell you is that it's on amd.com.

So yes I would suggest their cards but don't even bother with the cd or xfx site just go straight to amd.com and get the catalyst suit.

Replies

• BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,651 Senior Member
    I used to only run BFG video cards but seeing as they got out of graphic cards buisness. I now run a EVGA GTX 580 Direct X 11. I have never got a video card that didn't come with the drivers. I'm thinking they are pretty much stalled on card technology right now. Me thinks they are close to 3D graphics without the glasses or the monitor. 2012 on Cyberlinks Power DVD 10 is damn close to 3D. So I'm just going to sit and wait. I'm thinking on a another card to try SLI but not many games support dual cards.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NyGunownerNyGunowner Banned Posts: 328 Member
    Years ago I did one and the install and set up sucked. This summer my kid bought one, popped it in and had it up and running before I could say "wait till i get home". Of course he's 17 so he read online forums and stuff so he knew all the potential pitfalls beforehand..... Both were radeon...
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    you can get up your cards software to run dual no matter what. Basically it runs split screen. One handles 1 half the other does the other half. Not sure exactly how that works. My brother runs dual cards, I run dual screens. The new card I just got can do eyefinity which is the 3 screen wrap around. I don't see myself ever using that but I like 2 comp screens and my tv all running at once. I can run netflix on my tv, game on 1 screen and google/forums/fb/whatever on the other screen.

If you try running insane crazy multipul things at once like I do make sure your processor, ram, and HD can handle that. I've got a 2.5 quad processor, 4g ram (really should bump that to 8...), and WD Black 1tb hd. The WD Blacks are sweet, they have 3 disks in them so it only has to scan 1/3 the drive sense all three go at once rather than the traditional scan the whole disk every time you need something. I've also got SATA 5 conections on the MB so transfer speed is very fast
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    When AMD sucked up ATI, I was thinking there was going to be a "next big leap". But, it hasn't happened. All it did was drag AMD down. They haven't been able to keep up with intel since. I think for 5 Billion, AMD could have produced it's own graphics card and let ATI flop. NVIDIA SLI is about the best setup I think....
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
    The cards good for sure. Everyting is SUPER crisp now. as far as gaming goes I went from 20fps to 70fps so I gotta say I'm happy with that
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,587 Senior Member
    Glad it's working out for you. I'm considering an upgrade here sometime in the next 6 months or so. Running dual 8800GTs which are quite dated, but still holding their own. Thinking about upgrading to a 24" 1080p monitor as well (probably dual screen with existing 22"). Unfortunately I haven't paid attention to what's going on in hardware the past few years so I'll have to figure out what the decent mid range cards are these days.

PS anyone playing MW3 on PC? Just got it for Christmas, but haven't had a chance to play it. If so, look me up, I'd love to find someone to play co-op with. My steam screenname is the same
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • tv_racin_fantv_racin_fan Senior Member Posts: 617 Senior Member
    Why would anyone want to load the included drivers anyway? You just have to go and update them first thing thus taking up more valuable harddrive space. Well unless the card wont run with the generic drivers in windows in which case that could be an issue BUT since the card wouldn't run at all on startup you couldn't ever get to the driver install...
    yeah card wouldn't run at all with no drivers. catalyst suit fixed it.

My card is actually considered mid range alpha. It's 1g gddr5. My main reason for this particular card was the gddr5 and the eyefinity. If you're a MW guy you'd probably like eyefinity too. Nope no MW on PC mines on ps3
    Damn, everyone I know plays on consoles, but I suck at FPS on the joystick. I'm strictly a mouse and keyboard shooter.

BTW I don't blame you guys for playing on console though, now that all PC games seem to install through the devil program otherwise known as steam it makes life miserable! Running out of space on your drive and want to install on the other one? No, not allowed! Want to play your game on another PC...sorry, can't do that either. Want to trade your game in? Nope, once it's linked to your account no one else can ever play it! Almost enough to make you WANT to pirate all the games just to not have to deal with it all!
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,262 Senior Member
    are you guys talking about?? must be Gen X thing
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,226 Senior Member
    With all of the buyouts by the major manufacturers, I can see this sort of thing happening. I heard about the AMD/ATi merger back when it happened, but I never caught XFX being tossed in the mix so I likely would've had the same issue. Like Buford, I primarily use eVGA's cards as of late, though my most recent purchase - a GeForce GTX560 Ti - is an Asus. I also agree with his sentiment that we are close to 3D sans glasses. I think the entire country was never going to bite off en mass on 3D technology that requires $100+ shutterframe glasses for each viewer. Until they come out with either fully passive 3D or, technology similar to the present big screen affair where you can use passive glasses, I'll be sitting on my hands.

When it comes to these cards, I never even bother with the drivers on the included disk as they are nearly always out of date by the time the box hits the shelf. I just go to the manufacturer site using the OS' native VGA drivers until I get the latest one from the manufacturer.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
    Alpha I do play MMOs on my PC. I got a 1TB HD just because of that. My main issue with PC gaming is the devs now a day are all about "check out my sweet work! NO I DON'T CARE IF YOU CAN'T PLAY IT ON A 1 YEAR OLD COMPUTER! my work is awesome!!" So it's a never ending upgrade fest trying to being able to play at all muchless see the game it's all it's high quality glory.

BTW a WD Black 1TB runs as if it were a 15K RPM drive and only costs like $97. Don't bother with velociraptors or SSD just yet. well.. you COULD do SSD to run your OS but they are so small that's about all it'll do.
  • bruchibruchi Senior Member Posts: 2,582 Senior Member
    I just buy a MAC...
    If this post is non welcomed, I can always give you a recipe for making "tostones".
    I'll have to check that out, sounds like a great deal. After transfering 30 gb between old ide drives the other day I can appreciate the value of a fast drive.

Never got into MMO's, they look fun, but just don't have the time. Hear the new starwars one is really good though. I'm mostly a fps or strategy gamer. Occasionally play rpgs. Hear Skyrim is awesome!
    -DoctorWho
    Sorry but no self respecting gamer runs a Mac! Half the "cred" is from your custom, cobbled together PC!
    -DoctorWho
    Quinian wrote: »
    Alpha I do play MMOs on my PC. I got a 1TB HD just because of that. M
    BTW a WD Black 1TB runs as if it were a 15K RPM drive and only costs like $97. Don't bother with velociraptors or SSD just yet. well.. you COULD do SSD to run your OS but they are so small that's about all it'll do.

What game requires a 1 terabyte drive? All my games are on a 150 gig Raptor HD.
    Don't bother with velociraptors or SSD just yet. well.. you COULD do SSD to run your OS but they are so small that's about all it'll do.

A 300 gig SSD ain't nothing to sneeze at.
    lol I'd LOOOOVE a 300 gig SSD but I don't have that kinda money. I can just run a 32gb ssd for my OS and use my TB to store all the games and such. No game requires 1tb but I make up for my lack of ram (4gb) by giving the computer 12gb of hd to play with plus my pc is the houses host computer it houses literally everything. every pic, every video, every song, though in all honesty I've still got 900 some odd gigs left.

Mac does tend to be more stable than pc but you can get 4 times the power out of a pc for a mac of the same price, not to mention pretty much everything I do/use is written by or for eeeeevil microsoft so I need a windows machine. I used to run redhat but bleh

Yes SWTOR is lots of fun. That's what I'm playin with my brother right now.

I could care less about my "cred" - see pervious mention of mac vs pc. And my computer is by no means cobbled together :P You guys might know a gazzillion things about guns more than I do but I'm a nerd at heart I can build some nice machines. Speaking of which.. I need to start buying parts again. This machine is getting a little out dated. I think this time around I'll go with an I9 core I hear those are great.

On an unrelated note: anyone handy with a welder and a basic understanding of engineering/robotics wanna build me a c3p0 body? I bet I could make it work.
    And my computer is by no means cobbled together :P

I was meaning that in the same sense that BPS "cobbles together" ARs! They never stay in the same configuration for long, always adding/removing/upgrading etc. Also like him with AR's a lot of us could probably throw together a working machine with the spare parts we have lying around etc.
    -DoctorWho
    Also like him with AR's a lot of us could probably throw together a working machine with the spare parts we have lying around etc.

Ah but there is a very big difference between throwing together a working machine and custom building a smokin fast gaming machine. Kinda like yeah I could probably throw together a working AR but I don't have the know how to custom build a 700 yard p-dog killin AR
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,056 Senior Member
    bruchi wrote: »
    I just buy a MAC...
    I'm with that...everything is "plug and play." None of this searching for driver crap.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!