Home Main Category Hunting

Fourth deer of the season

TurdusMerulaTurdusMerula MemberPosts: 343 Member
Morning started rainy and miserable today. Luckily sky cleared and I decided to take my one hour drive to our hunting area after the work. Owner of the blind had called my father yesterday and suggested we should go to his field and try to catch a deer as he had seen them on his trail camera. So I went there.
I had to wait a couple go hours until I saw a young buck step into the field from the thick forest. Steadied my rifle carefully on the sand bags and squeezed the trigger of my rifle. It was actually a very easy shot. Distance was 120 yards and I aimed to the high shoulder. 30-06 pushed 180 gr TTSX on it's flight and it hit right where I wanted. Young buck just collapsed like a lighting had just hit him. When I went to pick him up he hadn't moved an inch. Deer never knew what happened and what hit him. Happy for that. No unnecessary pain and suffering. Just lights out like from the light switch.

Season has been open for three weeks and this was my fourth deer! Incredible. My Rem 798 and 30-06 conquered again.

To see a World in a Grain of Sand And a Heaven in a Wild Flower
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand And Eternity in an hour
-William Blake-

Replies