Home Main Category Clubhouse

The immortal game, the game of Kings...

zorbazorba Senior MemberPosts: 25,090 Senior Member
... the game of Chess. Anybody here play?
-Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
)O(

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Years ago a friend got one a the computer boards. We bith got where we could consistently beat it on all ten levels. I lost interest in it but he logged into an internet match board. He found out that beating the computer was way easier than beating people. Been so long ago I doubt I even remember how to play.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,367 Senior Member
    Used to when I was much younger. Havent played for over 40yrs now.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    Used to be really into it but to play well requires too much thinking. I have to think all day for a living so I don't like to concentrate and think hard for recreation.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
    The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
    You'll find a god in every golden cloister
    And if you're lucky then the god's a she...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    I played some as a teenager, then discovered girls were a lot more fun to play with and chess lost out! :roll2:
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Play well and often. Taught both kiddos at a young age (6 and 8, I believe) and they earned their merit badges in both cub and boy scouts. By the time they were 8 and 10, they high school chess team ran a chess day each Saturday at the library, and we went frequently...second week, both kiddos beat their opponents...and each week after there would be different team members for them to beat...think it lasted a month, month and a half.
    And, yes, they have beaten me as well. We still play and enjoy.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,986 Senior Member
    Played with my grandad long ago (He taught me) but haven't do it in many years.
    Also when my parents purchased me an Atari 400 back in the mid-'70s they thought that something more constructive had to be done other than tank shooting or blasting aliens, so among the 2 other games I was allowed to choose (Those were expensive and only available abroad), one of them HAD to be the Atari Chess cartridge (The other was Space Invaders...Combat was included), so spent quite a while playing it too, specially when they were around (Otherwise, it'll be a couple of hours of playtime every Sunday after having lunch with the grandparents).
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    ... the game of Chess. Anybody here play?

I did years ago. Poorly, at that.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,090 Senior Member
    I'm pretty much a patzer, but enjoy the occasional game when I can find an opponent. I'll play computer programs too (I virtually always lose), but like the interaction with a human opponent better. The way it usually goes is: 1st game - haven't played in forever, lose very quickly. 2nd game - haven't played in forever, lose in 20 minutes or so. 3rd game: Now I'm back to my stride, and the game may last an hour or more. I'll still lose, but it was "anybody's game" for the longest time and I had fun!

I've never developed a fanatical obsession with the game, but it interests me from time-to-time.

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    I played a lot when younger. Taught my kids how to play when they were younger.

Like most of us, I haven't played in years.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

When I lived in Texas, I got hooked on dominoes which requires chess like strategy, but in small spurts with shorter games.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I played, poorly, for several years, against people who knew even less than I did. The level of play was only slightly beyond checkers, as far as strategy went. Then, I taught a friend to play who was not a deep thinker, at all, but he was by nature very competitive. He had never read a book in his life, and he made more bad decisions than anyone I ever knew. But, he wanted to play, so I taught him what I knew, and he surprised me with how quick he learned.

After a few games, he started playing me to a standstill, either beating me or locking up the game so that I couldn't beat him. It really pissed me off about his single-mindedness towards winning, and both of our competitive natures shifted into overdrive. We played nobody but each other, and as though our lives depended on it, but we were pretty much dead equal in ability (still very poor). In an effort to put him away for all time, I bought a Bobby Fischer book and learned enough to squash him every game. It upset him so much that I felt bad about it, and taught him the new strategies. Within a few games, we were deadlocked again, so I would read some more until I could dominate him again, and we would beg me to teach him the new moves. We repeated the whole sequence, several times.

It finally got to be so stressful that I started burning out, so I quit teaching him the new stuff as I learned it, and told him to read the book if he wanted to learn more. I was a real ass about it, and I knew he wouldn't do the homework, but I knew it was the only way I could could get him to quit bugging me about it. I would beat him badly every time we played until he finally quit demanding a rematch. That was about 25 years ago, and we became friends again, eventually, thanks to my cruelty. I have not had any desire to play in all of that time, and probably never will unless one of the grand kids take it up...but...it is a great game.

Don't get me wrong - we weren't any sort of masterful players, but we knew how to play for the center, when to castle, etc., and a few other simple tricks. Believe me, even that is enough to beat a lot of folks who think they are good, in this neck of the woods.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    When I lived in Texas, I got hooked on dominoes which requires chess like strategy, but in small spurts with shorter games.

One of my great embarrassments in life is that I never was any good at "42." My grandparents, all of their friends, and most of the rest of my family were masters at it, but I never got good enough to partner with any of them. My brain just isn't wired for it, although I have played lots of other games pretty well.
    bisley wrote: »
    One of my great embarrassments in life is that I never was any good at "42." My grandparents, all of their friends, and most of the rest of my family were masters at it, but I never got good enough to partner with any of them. My brain just isn't wired for it, although I have played lots of other games pretty well.

I've played dominoes recently, but it's been years since I've played 42. I'd love to play it again. I think of it as a poor man's bridge with dominoes.

There's also a 3 handed game called spoon. I used to play that some, too.

All are a lot of fun.
    Jerry

bisley wrote: »

You're the first person I've heard mention 42 since I left Texas in 94. When I worked for General Dynamics, almost everyone played dominoes or 42 during breaks and lunch and the old timers would only play with extremely experienced players. Everyone had a regular group and table that they played at and if someone was out sick at the old timer's tables, it was an honor to be invited to fill in at their table.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    You're the first person I've heard mention 42 since I left Texas in 94. When I worked for General Dynamics, almost everyone played dominoes or 42 during breaks and lunch and the old timers would only play with extremely experienced players. Everyone had a regular group and table that they played at and if someone was out sick at the old timer's tables, it was an honor to be invited to fill in at their table.

Years ago, when my parents' generation was my age, we had huge family reunion weekends at my parents' house, with the overflow staying at my house. All of their brothers and sisters would come and stay for several days, and their grown kids would drop in and out during the days, as their schedules allowed. Every night was dominoes, 42 and Moon (basically a simpler version of 42).

One of my uncles (by marriage, not blood) was so competitive that everybody dreaded getting in a game with him, because he would do anything to win, usually embarassing his partner in the process. My BIL and I always joked about ways to 'get his goat,' and naturally we finally got up the nerve to do it, one time. My BIL was a good game player, having spent several years in the SeaBees, so he gave me a quick course in Moon, and showed me how to cheat, by use of partner signals, etc.

We beat him and his unfortunate partner, a very sweet aunt of mine, severely, and with lots of on-lookers. And he took it hard, and got some serious ribbing about it. Originally, we had intended to come clean about the whole thing and give everyone a big laugh, but by the time we got it done, we were afraid to own up, and realized that no one would have laughed.

They are all gone to their rewards, now, and we never told any of them. Folks were very serious about their dominoes.
    cpj wrote: »
    My inlaws in Texas play moon for money. He tried to teach me, but it was totally lost on me.

M-O-O-N, that spells moon. I've never heard of this game before...

)O(
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 5,486 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    My inlaws in Texas play moon for money. He tried to teach me, but it was totally lost on me.

Growing up in Texas, we played 42, Moon, and a handful of other domino games that I can't remember now.

I like classic "slappin' bones" double six game.
    When our governing officials dismiss due process as mere semantics, when they exercise powers they don’t have and ignore duties they actually bear, and when we let them get away with it, we have ceased to be our own rulers.

Adam J. McCleod

Here you go.

http://www.domino-games.com/domino-rules/moon-rules.html
    Jerry

• ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,305 Senior Member
    I play though it's hard to find people these days that do
    A bit like tying to find a cribbage player.
    My niece plays and she is becoming quite good, well good enough to challenge me very often and occasionally win , which is secretly annoying as I taught her.
    The flight was uneventful, which is what one wants when one is transporting an Elephant.
     Reuters, Dec 2020.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 6,002 Senior Member
    I play it on my iPad here and there, particularly on long, uneventful flights. You should have seen the Crew Chief's face when she realized the two pilots were passing back and forth a chess game while 7500' over the Gulf of Mexico! :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »
    My niece plays and she is becoming quite good, well good enough to challenge me very often and occasionally win , which is secretly annoying as I taught her.

Cribbage is one of Dad’s games. He taught me to play it years ago, along with acey-deucy, but I can’t remember...
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,465 Senior Member
    LMLarsen wrote: »
    One night in Bangkok and the world's your oyster
    The bars are temples but the pearls ain't free
    You'll find a god in every golden cloister
    And if you're lucky then the god's a she...

Thank God I'm only watching the game. . .controlling it. . .
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,161 Senior Member

Ok Tom....go to Las Vegas....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    ojr wrote: »

Cribbage and pinochle were the two card games that were played A LOT on my ship. I learned to play cribbage and got pretty decent at it. Good way to pass away the time in port when you had duty and couldn't leave the ship. Gambling was prohibited so poker wasn't played much, but a lot of money changed hands playing cribbage and pinochle. Cribbage is a fun game that takes some skill.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,465 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    I am embarrassed to say it now, but we used to make fun of the kids in the school chess club. It was always to sedentary for me to get into....... and the boys were really nerdy. I needless to say have never played it, but I am more open to the idea of trying it now that I'm only half shallow :jester:

Yeah. . .you're one of those people that actually enjoyed the school experience so much that you willing went BACK to that hellish pit of despair you contributed to the making of. I don't hold it against you, just be aware we're from completely different species.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1247739/root_of_all_evil_with_lewis_black_high_school_vs_american_idol/

Cut to Patton Oswalt's opening statement at about 1:20:applause:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    I am embarrassed to say it now, but we used to make fun of the kids in the school chess club. It was always to sedentary for me to get into....... and the boys were really nerdy. I needless to say have never played it, but I am more open to the idea of trying it now that I'm only half shallow :jester:

The guys in the H.S. Chess club could wipe the floor with my patzer **** :yikes:

But its easy to learn, difficult to master. I'll learn you the basics if you come to the shoot.

)O(
    Deal Zorba! But only if we can coordinate outfits lol.

But of course!

)O(
  • mosseybuckmosseybuck Member Posts: 559 Senior Member
    My cousin and I learned enough to play each other more or less equally. Then his sil married a soldier from Poland and he showed us we didn't know much! He'd been playing since childhood and trounced us thoroughly. He did try to teach us what we were doing wrong but we were both ex Marines and you know you can't teach us anything!:tooth:
    USMC '59-'65, NRA Lifer, Tennessee Squire