Home Main Category Clubhouse

The dam done gone and busted!

tennmiketennmike Senior MemberPosts: 27,457 Senior Member
  I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
― Douglas Adams

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    BUKU/BooKoo/Beaucoup water,........... run..............I guess that is what they are sayin.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    Dam...

...that sucks.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    I used to fish for catfish downstream of a couple of TVA dams, and even though they've been there for decades, it sort of increases the pucker factor to sit there in a small boat and look up at that big concrete wall. The fish wait just downstream of the turbine outlets and feed on the chum from the fish that go through the turbines. Bottom-bumping with cut bait can catch some big ones!
    Jerry
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,457 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    I used to fish for catfish downstream of a couple of TVA dams, and even though they've been there for decades, it sort of increases the pucker factor to sit there in a small boat and look up at that big concrete wall. The fish wait just downstream of the turbine outlets and feed on the chum from the fish that go through the turbines. Bottom-bumping with cut bait can catch some big ones!
    Jerry

The Fontana and Ocoee dams have big cracks in the downstream walls. Major pucker factor with those two!
    ― Douglas Adams
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,094 Senior Member
    I bet those guys trying to drive out had a few choice words for the grader operator that was blocking the road! :yikes:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • jbp-ohiojbp-ohio Senior Member Posts: 10,734 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    I bet those guys trying to drive out had a few choice words for the grader operator that was blocking the road! :yikes:

:agree:

If I were driving either of those trucks and survived, that guy better run for Siberia!

tenor.gif
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." Thomas Jefferson
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Wow! Lots of reminders of how powerful nature can be around the world lately.

Why lately? Mother Nature has always been capable of being a real Sunny Beach!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Why lately? Mother Nature has always been capable of being a real Sunny Beach!

The West all the way from Montana to the Pacific coast is on fire, and Oregon and California joined in with the wildfire mess. The Mexico earthquake made news, but there have been several more this year that were bad. Flooding across the pond and further East hasn't been reported like the stuff here. What news is on the tube is heavily filtered due to the political shenanigans, Confederate statue hysteria, and those fun loving kissy-kissy antics of ANTIFA and BLM.

I'm spending a lot of time on British news services and ignoring most of the U.S. B.S. news.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,922 Senior Member
    ...but, but Fox is fair and balanced!
    I'm just here for snark.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,471 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    BBC.com has replaced foxnews.com as my go to site for news. I'm sick of the emotional puke stream being served up by the major USA news outlets...

Mother nature is one strong force, notice how it pushed the bulldozer around, that thing weighs tons and the water just moved it! Wow!

I'm to the point I can barely turn on any news and haven't watched a late show on TV in well over 18 months. It's gone past the point of no return for the time being. Thank goodness for Netflix and Amazon Prime!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    ...but, but Fox is fair and balanced!

I'm pretty ok with Fox until Shep comes on. He has come out of the closet. Not talking about his homosexualness. I got no problem with that, because it's between him and God. But he's a closet libtard.

Fox is a whole lot closer to being fair and balanced than NBC-CBS-ABC- or CNN. How many times did you ever see George Will or Britt Hume win an argument when they took their conservative side before they came to Fox? I watched them both for at least 40 years and never saw that once. No conservative wins an argument on the lame stream media. Fox has some real donnybrooks, some down and dirty arguments. I like that because I know they're not trying to control the outcome. Some of the anchors will cut somebody off but usually they let the Caca fly and see where the pieces land. You never saw that on main stream media. The winner of an argument was always predetermined.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,721 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »

If you watch the video the grader operator bailed as soon as the water comes down.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    Mother nature is one strong force, notice how it pushed the bulldozer around, that thing weighs tons and the water just moved it! Wow!

That was a wheel loader with tires a bulldozer is a track machine and It wouldn't have moved. Notice the excavator didn't budge and it was pretty close to the main stream.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,094 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    If you watch the video the grader operator bailed as soon as the water comes down.

I missed that what with all the camera panning - no wonder the guys in the trucks couldn't get around him!
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 133 Member
    anyone killed?
    would someone please contact the person who can purge and delete my acct? im reducing my cyber footprint for security reasons. thank.
    No.
    Did they ever get that leaky dam in commiefornia plugged up? I hear the little Dutch boy refused to go there- - - - -afraid he would get sued and ostracized by the alternative lifestyle bunch if he stuck his finger where if needed to be!
    :jester:
    Jerry
    Don't know about the Dutch boy but I'm betting like the rest of the infrastructure in this country that it's being ignored.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk
    The only reason that one's worth worrying about is that it's close to Oroville. RCBS could end up getting washed out to sea!
    :roll:
    Jerry
    Well now that would be a tragedy but I haven't heard anything about it in the news.
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,916 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    The Fontana and Ocoee dams have big cracks in the downstream walls. Major pucker factor with those two!

I've been on top of the Fontana Dam at least 6 times in the last 6 years. Looking down the spillway from on top of it is like looking off the roof of a 40 story building.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    I've been on top of the Fontana Dam at least 6 times in the last 6 years. Looking down the spillway from on top of it is like looking off the roof of a 40 story building.

Fontana Dam and Alcoa, TN were sort of joined at the hip during WWII. The dam was finally constructed to meet the needs of wartime production, and the aluminum plant in Alcoa was a big part of that. Lots of aluminum needed for aircraft production. Oak Ridge benefited from it, too. It was a HUGE project for the time.
    ― Douglas Adams
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,916 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »
    Fontana Dam and Alcoa, TN were sort of joined at the hip during WWII. The dam was finally constructed to meet the needs of wartime production, and the aluminum plant in Alcoa was a big part of that. Lots of aluminum needed for aircraft production. Oak Ridge benefited from it, too. It was a HUGE project for the time.

It's also a pretty cool place for a rest stop while traveling around the area by motorcycle, which is the reason I've been there so many times. One of the road captains likes to stop there every time we ride up 28 on our way to 129 and the Tail of the Dragon.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    While you're on the top of the dam, there is usually a cool breeze off the lake. I've fished it a few times and that water is ice cold even in the summer. Makes your giblets draw up if you go in swimming! :roll2:
    ― Douglas Adams