Home Main Category Clubhouse

New Framers start on Monday...finally!

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,467 Senior Member
The new ranch house was started at the end of May. Everything was going well. The foundation was poured and the framers started framing the middle of June. First week everything went great. Then no shows for a week or two, only to find out he's juggling multiple jobs. I always try to work with folks instead of getting angry. They'd show for a day and disappear. Then in Aug they've been a complete no show. My general contractor has done everything possible. Finally we gave certified notice he was off the job and we've filed court proceedings against him. It took a few weeks to find another contractor to that would take on someone else job.

He came out yesterday to look the job over. The original framer screwed up the high pitch interior and exterior roof angles. The roof joists have to come down. We figure the previous framer figured this out and baled on the job. This is the first time my general contractor said he's ever baled or screwed up a job like this in the ten years he's been using them. At least this doesn't come out of my pocket and it's on my GC.

Other than the roof pitch he said the framing job was pretty solid only a few small things to fix. The new framers starts on Monday with a four man crew and hopes to have the job completed by Friday or the beginning of the following week. We haven't had rain in two plus months and next week is threatening rain for a few day...wonderful. Once done there are pallets of stone already onsite ready to stone the exterior and the other contractors are all ready to start!

The house was originally scheduled to be completed this week. Now Maybe Thanksgiving. This experienced has SUCKED big time but maybe some light at the end of the tunnel.
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    The new ranch house was started at the end of May. Everything was going well. The foundation was poured and the framers started framing the middle of June. First week everything went great. Then no shows for a week or two, only to find out he's juggling multiple jobs. I always try to work with folks instead of getting angry. They'd show for a day and disappear. Then in Aug they've been a complete no show. My general contractor has done everything possible. Finally we gave certified notice he was off the job and we've filed court proceedings against him. It took a few weeks to find another contractor to that would take on someone else job.

    He came out yesterday to look the job over. The original framer screwed up the high pitch interior and exterior roof angles. The roof joists have to come down. We figure the previous framer figured this out and baled on the job. This is the first time my general contractor said he's ever baled or screwed up a job like this in the ten years he's been using them. At least this doesn't come out of my pocket and it's on my GC.

    Other than the roof pitch he said the framing job was pretty solid only a few small things to fix. The new framers starts on Monday with a four man crew and hopes to have the job completed by Friday or the beginning of the following week. We haven't had rain in two plus months and next week is threatening rain for a few day...wonderful. Once done there are pallets of stone already onsite ready to stone the exterior and the other contractors are all ready to start!

    The house was originally scheduled to be completed this week. Now Maybe Thanksgiving. This experienced has SUCKED big time but maybe some light at the end of the tunnel.

    Sue their butts off. No excuse for that BS. If the first framers screwed up they should have been straight up with you and made things right. That would have at least saved his reputation.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Oh heck double post.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    snake284 wrote: »
    Sue their butts off. No excuse for that BS. If the first framers screwed up they should have been straight up with you and made things right. That would have at least saved his reputation.

    We think there's a lot more going on with our framers other than he screwed up my house. Other GC's are complaining about him not finishing their projects. I'm just glad to be done with him and we're moving forward.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

    John 3: 1-21
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,244 Senior Member
    Speaking as a general contractor, the whole thing is your general contractor's fault. That is his job. His framing crew sucks? His fault.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Jermanator wrote: »
    Speaking as a general contractor, the whole thing is your general contractor's fault. That is his job. His framing crew sucks? His fault.

    Yep, plenty of blame to go around! Just like in business we've had lot's of conversations though I really try hard to keep my head! Blowing up usually makes the whole thing go south and compounds the issues. With a new house no matter what issues arise the end results needs to be taken care of and completed correctly which is happening, just not at the pace we would have liked. GC is a good friend from church. He's built scores of homes for folks at our church and no one has ever issues. Been to a lot of the homes he's built for events likes parties and get together's and no one has ever had issues like this and most were framed by the same same framer. Most homes were built in three to four months depending on weather. The quality of the homes is the best we've seen. Unfortunately, we had to be the one where the wheels came off the cart.

    Just glad it's moving forward and he's out the money not me.
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

    John 3: 1-21
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »

    Building a custom house is not for the weak. The end result was awesome but it was one of the worst experiences of my life...

    Well put, not for the weak for sure.! Firing our GC wouldn't have accomplish much on this accept spending the time and finding someone new who would want to take on the project and getting on their schedule.

    Just doing my best to stay positive on this and hope it goes quickly and smoothly from here out!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

    John 3: 1-21
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,467 Senior Member
    Saw headlights come in the drive at 6:55AM. New framers have been taking down and putting up new roof joist. It's wonderful hearing the sounds of pneumatic nail guns discharging!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

    John 3: 1-21
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement