Goodell and NFL owners have some gall.....

13»

Replies

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 25,957 Senior Member
    The Jaguars and Ravens knelt for the Anthem at the game in England, but stood during the playing of God Save The Queen. When I read that in the news, I giggled a little too much. History.................. :tooth:
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,621 Senior Member
    All I have to say about the stupidity of the NFL and its 4 year old mentality players is this:
    Tim Tebow was mocked and ridiculed by the NFL for kneeling to pray saying he should keep his personal beliefs off the field. So tell me you kneeling SOB's what is different now?
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 19,309 Senior Member
    timc wrote: »
    Tim Tebow was mocked and ridiculed by the NFL for kneeling to pray saying he should keep his personal beliefs off the field. So tell me you kneeling SOB's what is different now?

WORD.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,339 Senior Member
    The top selling NFL jersey right now is the one worn by the lone veteran who told his coach to where to stick it when he kept the his team off the field and stood by himself for the anthem. It looks like some boycotts of sponsors are getting their attention, also. I have a feeling the NFL is about to feel the heat of public opinion pretty quickly.
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • Jack BurtonJack Burton Member Posts: 379 Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The top selling NFL jersey right now is the one worn by the lone veteran who told his coach to where to stick it when he kept the his team off the field and stood by himself for the anthem. It looks like some boycotts of sponsors are getting their attention, also. I have a feeling the NFL is about to feel the heat of public opinion pretty quickly.
    Jerry

http://www.breitbart.com/sports/2017/09/25/villanueva-claimms-unintentionally-walked-out-tunnel-meant-remain-off-field-steelers/

I almost bought one myself. But alas he is having regrets. I see his point only in terms of showing up those on his team who also voted to stand but were out numbered.
    Came for the fishing, stayed for the guns.
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,365 Senior Member
    They say we need to understand their struggle. Then they tell us we can't understand their struggle. I say, I'm not a part of their struggle. Their struggle isn't with me. It's not with America. Their struggle is internal. Their struggle is within their own community. Their struggle has no contemporary component. It's mythical! Their success is proof the struggle died before they were born
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
    Struggling to read, write, get a job, and stick around when "Baby Mama" announces she's pregnant might be a good start. Once that's accomplished, maybe NOT committing crimes and running from the cops would be a good choice for a next step.
    :roll:
    Jerry
    Read somewhere on my Yahoo newsfeed that on overage a NFL player is arrested every three days for some violation of the law. Seems like their biggest struggle is living in a manner that keeps them from breaking the law and getting to live in a gated community for an overnighter.

FBI statistics show who gets killed, by race, who gets arrested, by race, what the crime was, by race, and looking at those statistics one has to wonder 'Where's the beef?" The MSM is complicit in the agenda of making it look like blacks are shot and killed by police more often, but that's demonstrably a load of bull squeeze. The statistics don't lie on that; one thing the FBI is actually good at is gathering data for their statistics.

From an economic standpoint and the lack of jobs that pay a living wage, there's plenty of information on how that is a self inflicted wound. And it isn't just a black thing; plenty of white folks shot themselves in both feet with that disdain for education. At some point in time, education was devalued in a large segment the black community. But those in the black community that had the guts to bear down in school and learn are doing well, and some extremely well. Ben Carson is an example that comes to mind. There are many others. Walter Williams is one of the most respected economists in the U.S., and deservedly so. Without an education it's pretty hard to get those high paying jobs, and an education directed at the target job, not women's studies or underwater basket weaving, is the ticket to that high paying job.

Rules for NOT getting shot or beat senseless by cops:
    1. Do what the cop says when he says it, and make no sudden moves while doing so.
    2. Do not get in a verbal argument with the cop and resist arrest.
    3. Do not start a fight with the cop, and definitely do not try to take his weapon from him.
    4. Do not try running away on foot or in a vehicle. That rarely ends well, and escalates the adrenaline dump.
    5. Any perceived violation of "My rights" can and should be handled in a court of law with a lawyer and a jury of 12. Tried by 12 is generally a superior outcome to being carried by 6.

Rules that almost guarantee getting shot or beat senseless:
    1. Refuse to obey the orders of the cop.
    2. Get in a full blown argument with the cop and refuse to obey lawful orders.
    3. Physically resist arrest and start fighting with the cop. You might win, but statistics are against you.
    4. By all means try to disarm the cop. That should go well.

Edit to add:
    One more thing. When a white person is immediately accused of being a RACIST for disagreeing on some point, the discussion ends. And that has been the way that any discussion on ANYTHING has ended starting a little over 8 years ago when the Divider In Chief accused a cop of being racist and tried to smooth things over with the 'Beer Summit'.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Of course, they could just listen to Chris Rock- - - - - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Jerry
    Of course, they could just listen to Chris Rock- - - - - - -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj0mtxXEGE8

Jerry

You just know with out having to looking it up that that skit was made at least 8 years ago. Hmm, what took place around that time me wonders?
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,584 Senior Member
    American Sniper Chris Kyle's Widow Taya wrote a very intelligent letter to the NFL. Well worth the read.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/american-snipers-wife-taya-kyle-an-open-letter-to-the-nfl/ar-AAsvnxh?li=BBnb7Kz
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    American Sniper Chris Kyle's Widow Taya wrote a very intelligent letter to the NFL. Well worth the read.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opinion/american-snipers-wife-taya-kyle-an-open-letter-to-the-nfl/ar-AAsvnxh?li=BBnb7Kz

Very heartfelt and gentle. :worthy:

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    My thoughts as well.

They decided to confront what was universally termed by them as a divisive comment by Trump by 10% kneeling, 5% kneeling then standing, 40% standing, 30% standing with locked arms, 4.84% staying in the locker room, and 0.16% doing what it says they should all do in their official rules of conduct.

What a stellar show of unity!
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,584 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Very heartfelt and gentle. :worthy:
    I didn't know a woman with that level of temper control existed!
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    I didn't know a woman with that level of temper control existed!

Esp. after what she's been through. She's a better person that I am, I'd be raging like a complete idiot. Sometimes I do anyway!

I wonder what percentage of the worthless scum have enough intelligence to even begin to appreciate what that remarkable woman is saying? I'll bet it's in the single digits!
    Jerry
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 1,566 Senior Member
    I have found this utterly amazing at what's happening. I've been slowly checking out of the NFL the last couple of years. Roger is a $45M a year commissioner who has little to no control on what's happening in his league. He's a reactive leader on each and every issues that happening. Instead he should start taking the bull by the horns and start becoming proactive. He doesn't have a vision or exit strategy to get his league out of this without losing his $$$ and fan base. Corporations are beginning to pull support, players are losing endorsements and TV viewership is sliding to name a few. Instead of addressing and coming out with league policy he locks arms and sides with his player. This weekend the NFL is going to see an even larger hit. I'm betting teams will start doing what the cowboys did on Monday night, lock arms and kneel briefly prior to the national anthem and then stand and lock arms during the national anthem. Fans still booed.

This is like listening to Jesse Watters on Fox interview protesters and what they're truly protesting about. Most have no idea, they're just there as a reason against other side. The NFL players don't really have a cohesive cause just another senseless way protest with no cause or action on their part afterwards.

No fears folks it's all still good to me. I was about done and now I'm really done with the NFL. I've got my Aggies on Sat and I'll take college football over the NFL any [email protected]
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,614 Senior Member
    As this thing progresses and the owners start feeling financial pain and looking for a way out, it is going to become apparent that the only thing that might get a chunk of the folks back is the resignation of Goodell and replacement by a person who will enforce the rules with an iron hand, with some reform of the rules that already exist. Even then, it will take a while, and will be uneven across the sports market. Even this probably won't get me back, because the players, themselves, bear too much of the blame.

The breaking point will come when some big sponsors, like maybe Budweiser, pull their advertising, or if Trump can get the government subsidies (which are ridiculous, anyway) for building new stadiums, etc. stopped.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,736 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »
    I'll take college football over the NFL any [email protected]
    No a huge Aggie fan here (but pull for them when they're playing a non-SEC team) but I'm with you on the college ball :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Af far as I am concerned all “professional sports” (and Hollywood too) are far to inflated ... salaries (players, coaches, COMMISSIONERS, etc), ticket prices, concessions, EGOS and so on. Even college sports has gotten out of hand ... with the “I’m playing a year or two and going to the pros” attitude. Use to be the money you worried about corrupting sports was mainly gambling ... now it is greed. I NEVER watch the NBA, rarely watch MLB or the NFL (or even NCAA), NASCAR is a joke and it comes down to the lack of love and respect for the game and the almighty greed of the dollar. All these $300 million stadiums, egotistical owners and prima donna 2-digit IQ thug player can disappear and I would not miss a thing.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
    I can't see anything bringing me back either. The way things stand now. Hockey is just about to start and I have my Bolts. Some of the most grounded & respectful pro athletes are hockey players and it is a true joy to root for them. Even if they talk funny, eh? Oh, and they stand for 2 anthems every game.
    At least major league baseball has a system of second-tier professional teams to draw from. The NFL uses colleges to run their farm teams, which has always seemed to be a little sleazy to me- - - - -far too much opportunity for corruption hidden just beneath the surface of supposedly "amateur" sports. Sort of reminds me of the other bunch of sleazy scumbags- - - - -politicians!
    Jerry
    I can't see anything bringing me back either. The way things stand now. Hockey is just about to start and I have my Bolts. Some of the most grounded & respectful pro athletes are hockey players and it is a true joy to root for them. Even if they talk funny, eh? Oh, and they stand for 2 anthems every game.

I will probably watch hockey games this year. They don't put up with that silly stuff. :up:

And college basketball is in the news big time in Kentucky. Used to be the payoffs were only uncovered in college football.

https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=kentucky+basketball+charged+with+a+crime&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    At this point, these jackwagons could start standing to and it still wouldn't do a thing to compensate for their lack of respect. Do these paid entertainers think they are actually contributing anything of substance to society in general? For a "protest" to be effective, the bulk of the people need to actually give a crap about what you think in the first place.....and I, emphatically, don't.....

The only way these premadonas could actually contribute to society would be if they were good role models for our kids and grand kids, which they're not. A good bit of them are in the news for everything from child abuse to drugs. Now how can that be anything like a role model? I don't know about y'all but I don't want them modeling their role in society for my family.

They may have a gob of money, but on the whole they're still losers.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,631 Senior Member
    tennmike wrote: »

FBI statistics show who gets killed, by race, who gets arrested, by race, what the crime was, by race, and looking at those statistics one has to wonder 'Where's the beef?" The MSM is complicit in the agenda of making it look like blacks are shot and killed by police more often, but that's demonstrably a load of bull squeeze. The statistics don't lie on that; one thing the FBI is actually good at is gathering data for their statistics.

Yes, more whites are killed by police using simply the body count. In 2015 (most recent data), 732 were white and 381 were black (and 382 were of another or unknown race).

Whites make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. Blacks, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. That means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

And my statistic is also meaningless when you factor in local population densities.

Example: There are way more whites (totals and percentages) shot by police in Idaho than blacks. The reverse is true for the District of Columbia.
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    Richard Childress (NASCAR team owner) just announced that any of his drivers or crew members who want to protest can go ahead and do so at their own risk- - - -"His next ride will be on a Greyhound bus!" Richard Petty expressed about the same sentiments. Good for them!
    Jerry

Nascar is full of country boy patriots. The best of America. I am not a big NASCAR follower anymore. When they stopped racing real streetable cars I lost interest. But that's just a personal view but I have great respect for most of its owners and participants. They're by and large great Americans.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    CaliFFL wrote: »
    Yes, more whites are killed by police using simply the body count. In 2015 (most recent data), 732 were white and 381 were black (and 382 were of another or unknown race).

Whites make up roughly 62 percent of the U.S. population but only about 49 percent of those who are killed by police officers. Blacks, however, account for 24 percent of those fatally shot and killed by the police despite being just 13 percent of the U.S. population. That means black Americans are 2.5 times as likely as white Americans to be shot and killed by police officers.

And my statistic is also meaningless when you factor in local population densities.

Example: There are way more whites (totals and percentages) shot by police in Idaho than blacks. The reverse is true for the District of Columbia.

Here's some explanation of those numbers and how they came about. While 50% of the police shootings are of white and 26% are black, raw numbers don't tell the story of why.
    Here's some of the why:

https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/htus8008.pdf (Table 7 is pretty interesting)

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/volokh-conspiracy/wp/2016/07/18/police-shootings-and-race/?utm_term=.e9f45b013da1

And ESPECIALLY don't look at this page:

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s/2016/crime-in-the-u.s.-2016/topic-pages/tables/table-21

13»