Home Main Category General Firearms

Talk me OUT of a gun

MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior MemberPosts: 4,871 Senior Member
I know, goes against the grain here. This is money that could go to hunts, stocks, barrels, etc....

Winchester 1895 30 US Army (30-40 krag) re finish, under 1k
Wambli Ska wrote: »
Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,884 Senior Member
    Is it in military configuration aside from the refinish?

Is the metal and the stock refinished or just the metal? Just the stock?

Is the refinish in the style of the original blueing, or is it parkerized?

If it was refinished in the spirit of the original as-issue style, I would give it serious consideration personally. I've never seen a military configuration Krag for under $1200 around here.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    That's yer grandpa's or great grandpa's kinda rifle son............so why do you want soething that may or may shoot straight?

Have you bought the dies/bullets yet? :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,871 Senior Member
    Is it in military configuration aside from the refinish?

Is the metal and the stock refinished or just the metal? Just the stock?

Is the refinish in the style of the original blueing, or is it parkerized?

If it was refinished in the spirit of the original as-issue style, I would give it serious consideration personally. I've never seen a military configuration Krag for under $1200 around here.

No it's refinish, metal and wood. It looks REALLY nice, but no collector value. But it looks GOOD for a 1903 gun
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Big Chief wrote: »
    That's yer grandpa's or great grandpa's kinda rifle son............so why do you want soething that may or may shoot straight?

Have you bought the dies/bullets yet? :guns: :guns:

Got bullets. 308 is no issue.

I've wanted one for a bit. Its the gun John Plute killed the world record elk inn the 1900s
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 6,941 Senior Member
    Those are getting tougher to find. Any extra holes? That's a deal breaker for me. If you got the cash and you like it, get it!
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,624 Senior Member
    You're at the wrong place to be talked out of a gun.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Check the rifling real good, some are notorious fer being "Shot Out" and tumbling bullets.

Like that ole Colonel in the Army said when his college GF asked just who he expected to please with that little thing...............he said ME

IOW go fer it!
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    I've been wanting a 1895 in .30-40 for a long time! Just for the fact you found one for under $1000 you get a:yousuck: from me. And if you don't want it, I do. How about that for talking you out of it!!:jester:
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Ha ha ha ... talk anyone out of buying a gun ... you so funny :rotflmao::rotflmao::rotflmao:
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 8,760 Senior Member
    Let's see. . .talk you out of the final evolution of the Winchester lever action designed with Browning at the helm.

No. . .don't think so.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,654 Senior Member
    Belay edit post.

Buy it.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,772 Senior Member
    That just doesn't seem right, our job is to encourage not discourage you. Of course you need to buy it.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 24,600 Senior Member
    FUNNY?!?!?!? He OBVIOUSLY did not read the user agreement! :cuss:

As long as it isn't a .270, he's GTG! :tooth:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Got bullets. 308 is no issue.

I've wanted one for a bit. Its the gun John Plute killed the world record elk inn the 1900s

I knew that Plute killed the bull with a 30-40 Krag, but didn't realize it was an 1895.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I know, goes against the grain here. This is money that could go to hunts, stocks, barrels, etc....

Winchester 1895 30 US Army (30-40 krag) re finish, under 1k

30-40 Krag just don't blow my whistle. Now if that was in .405 Win. or maybe even .30-06 I might get inspired.

Ok-Ok How's that for trying?:jester:
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,884 Senior Member
    I'm stupid. I had the Krag rifle stuck in my head, not a Win 95.

Buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    I sent a message to see if they'll come down more on the price. Its already been reduced a bit, but never hurts to ask!
  • BigDanSBigDanS Senior Member Posts: 6,992 Senior Member
    Imagine pulling it out for your friends and having to say, " It's refinished and really has no collectors value..."

Didn't really mean anything to you either, did it?

Buy it!

D
    "A patriot is mocked, scorned and hated; yet when his cause succeeds, all men will join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain
    Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.... now who's bringing the hot wings? :jester:
    I'm stupid. I had the Krag rifle stuck in my head, not a Win 95.

Buy it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking the same thing that he was talking about a bolt action 30-40, not one that that looks like TRs "Big Medicine" or some say the actual quote was "Medicine Gun For Lions".

https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2016/6/2/theodore-roosevelt-s-winchester-rifles/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.405_Winchester
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,697 Senior Member
    Thought might have pictures posted by now ??
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I've been wanting a 1895 in .30-40 for a long time! Just for the fact you found one for under $1000 you get a:yousuck: from me. And if you don't want it, I do. How about that for talking you out of it!!:jester:

I could send you the link.... I have asked them if they'll accept a lower price but have not heard back, I'm guessing it's a no. Current price is $768
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,252 Senior Member
    Send it PLEASE!
    PM sent Al