Interesting Telephoto Capability

DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior MemberPosts: 3,375 Senior Member
rabbit1.jpg

In the first photo, if you look at the center of the photo you will see a swingset in the distance behind a bush. At the base of the bush you don't see anything.

It this photo, I have zoomed in on the base of the bush.

rabbit2.jpg

This is a Canon PowerShot SX30IS

It's pretty much a point and shoot that boasts 24X "optical" telephoto capability. I'm not a photographer, but I can appreciate this capability when hunting et all. I was leaning against the railing. I think a tripod would have been a little clearer.

Dan
It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain

Replies

• dlddld Member Posts: 379 Member
    is it easter already:yikes:
  • LMLarsenLMLarsen Senior Member Posts: 8,337 Senior Member
    I've become a huge fan of Canon in the last ten years. Twentymumble years ago when I shot professionally, I used all Nikon gear, had a whole bag full of it, all of which got sold when the money ran out. Still stings to think about.

Then the Wife got me a Canon 35mm SLR and a good zoom lens, and I got back into it. Now with a Canon DSLR and a bag full of lenses, plus a few Powershots, I am back!

What's annoying is that this little $100 Powershot is better than the $3,000 Nikons I used back in the day. :sigh: But I guess that's how it works.

What's *really* annoying is that the Wife last year got me a Panasonic 14mp digital snapshot camera with a Leica-designed lens, for pocket change.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD???
    “A gun is a tool, no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.”

NRA Endowment Member
  • centermass556centermass556 Senior Member Posts: 3,508 Senior Member
    So how did it taste? Did you stew, roast, or fry?
    "To have really lived, you must have almost died. To those who have fought for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
  • gunrunner428gunrunner428 Senior Member Posts: 1,018 Senior Member
    My mom had a recipe for sweet & sour, slow-cooked rabbit that still holds a fond place in my memories. Rice, mixed veggies, and near 24-hours if memory serves in a Westinghouse slow cooker in the garage, and Sunday dinner was a real experience!
  • BlkHawk73BlkHawk73 Member Posts: 149 Member
    Bought myself a nice Canon a yr ago to use on trips. Close up stuff is nice but it's always the distance stuff I wanna be able to capture up close. With 20x optical zoom and up to something like 60x or more digital zoom, I'm pretty well set for any distance I'll ever shoot at.
  • pbearperrypbearperry Member Posts: 91 Member
    Is that a flea on the rabbits ear?
  • DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    More like a tick

Dan
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Senior Member Posts: 2,725 Senior Member
    Did you know that you can take a shot like this then move about 11 1/2 feet at a 90 degree angle, left or right, take another shot and you'll have stereo coverage? Common trick in collecting photo intel.....
    Rich

How do you put the photos together?
    You don't put them togather physically. A hand held stereoscope will work fine for basic work/measurements, or put the seperate photos in any of the modern stereoscopes such as the Veild series, and make measurements of heights, distances, physical dimensions, etc. With a very minimum of experience you can hold the seperate photos, one in each hand, and let your eyes seperate with one eye focusing on one photo, the other eye focused on the other photo, and very quickly gauge depth, height, etc. Simple!
    Rich

Have you been hitting those weird Asian vegetables again?

Dan
  • olesniperolesniper Senior Member Posts: 3,761 Senior Member
    Actually, it's 35X optical. I gots the say camera and it will reach waaaaay out there.
    Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
    I will fear no evil: For I carry a .308 and not a .270
    No, Dan! I know it sounds funny, but you can, with a little practice, let your eyes drift apart in focus direction and see in-depth stereo on two regular snapshot type photos if you snap them around 11.5' to maybe 18' or so apart. It's a common practice in selecting photos for further PI work if you are working with dozens upon dozens of photos.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    They're getting pretty darn good with the lenses on inexpensive cameras these days! Got my FIL a new Panasonic pocket size point and shoot with a 16x zoom. Not quite that far, but it's also smaller than the 6 year old 5mp camera that he was using. Pretty awesome stuff...Now when are they going to start incorporating this stuff into digital rifle scopes? Infinitely variable 35x zoom, heads up display, infinite eye relief, etc. If you can make the electronics robust (they now have water and shockproof digital cameras) I think you may have a winner. I know there are a few companies trying this already, but they're a bit too expensive for now, but probably not for long.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho