Ruger 10/22 Takedown

AntonioAntonio Senior MemberPosts: 2,329 Senior Member
Bagged one this Saturday at the local GS I visit most; rifle (And factory accessories) is almost NIB, with very few shots since original owner found some casting imperfections hidden from plain sight but enough to make him feel unhappy with the product. The good "damaged goods" price made me overlook such alleged flaws and grab the chance to recover a 10/22 for my collection (Sold a plain one some years ago and later regret it).

No pics YET since I had to make all the paperwork and might take 3-4 weeks to have it in my hands, and being a plain factory TD there's no hurry to post them (Will do ASAP).

Friend of mine owns one so I'm pretty aware that these have some accuracy issues (Shifting POI) due to the break-down system, specially when applying pressure to the hand guard while using any shooting support and a telescopic sight, but I don't intend to make this a target rifle since the reason I sold my older Ruger was because it wasn't accurate enough for my hunting expectations (Fulfilled by a CZ-452).

Still, my FN SA-22 has already taught me that these take down rifles aren't intended for very tight groups all the time (But offhand with open sights is a completely different story), and since I don't plan to keep taking it apart all the time (But is a nice feature to have; a plain 10/22 was already in my plans so this, specially for the price, works for me) will test it with a over-tightened system and both a scope and red dot sight to see which one works the best for me.
Other than this and MAYBE a trigger job, I don't plan to "pimp" it above factory specs; if accuracy isn't good with the 2-piece stock & optics (1 1/2" @ 50 yards rested with bulk ammo will work for me), I might even place it in a conventional wood one and leave it as a fun semiauto field plinker that won't make me worry about dings, scratches and wear like the SA-22 does.

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,990 Senior Member
    I inquired a while back about them on here and a couple/few members had only positive things to say about their TDs. I wondered too if taking them down and putting them back together changed the POI from the previous and they said no. I dunno, can't remember if any fixes have been applied since the first ones came out and if the accuracy they are gettin is what they expect from a rack 10/22 or better/worse.

Anyhow, congrats on your new 10/22 :guns: :guns:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,329 Senior Member
    Thanks Chief; my friend has experienced the shifting POI when using the scope and applying pressure against the hand guard of his TD. Same thing happened to me in my SA-22.
    According to the specialized sub-forum in rimfirecentral, there are some upgrades you can do to reduce this issue; easiest are to tighten the system nut a bit beyond factory suggestion, adding shims and floating hand guards, but you can also change the stock or other solutions, but since I'm not looking to have a tack driver, I'll probably go with the "least invasive" if needed.

As long as it runs properly with bulk ammo (As it apparently does) and provide reasonable accuracy for the platform, it'll be OK for me.
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,574 Senior Member
    Antonio wrote: »
    Thanks Chief; my friend has experienced the shifting POI when using the scope and applying pressure against the hand guard of his TD. Same thing happened to me in my SA-22.
    According to the specialized sub-forum in rimfirecentral, there are some upgrades you can do to reduce this issue; easiest are to tighten the system nut a bit beyond factory suggestion, adding shims and floating hand guards, but you can also change the stock or other solutions, but since I'm not looking to have a tack driver, I'll probably go with the "least invasive" if needed.

As long as it runs properly with bulk ammo (As it apparently does) and provide reasonable accuracy for the platform, it'll be OK for me.

I have had my 10-22 for many years and have enjoyed it in its fifferent stock and such. This one should treat you well also
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Hope so! Some years have gone since I sold it due to local "BATF" pressure; 'cause I wasn't using it, I didn't renewed its due license for some years (Former system was one per gun; now I have titles for each and one owner/user permit) and suddenly the agency began sending letters to owners that had expired licenses to renew them or be charged with illegal firearms possession! but since in parallel they tightened the process by skyrocketing the price of paperwork, I decided to let it go to the 1st. one that showed interest in buying one of these. Needless to say, as soon as I handed it down to its new owner, I began regretting the hot-headed deal.

Meanwhile, will have to wait for the slow bureaucratic procedures to develop....such is life in the sub-tropics!
    Seen it and had to admit it looks n-i-c-e!
    That said, suppressors were completely illegal here for civilian use, but law has changed recently and allows them, although it seems no one has applied for a permit for one so far; probably when local authorities realize this they'll try to ban them again.

Personally got the chance to play with some in the past (Both factory and "home made") and couldn't find an useful application for any fundamental sporting use. I consider the blast of a firearm as part of the enjoyment of them, so can't relate to those gizmos at all....not even for hunting.
    Remember this thread? Well, it has been 13 days since I presented the paperwork to the local "BATF" and just a few moments ago I saw in their web page that my purchase request was accepted and my property card is ready for printing, so maybe by next Wednesday I'll FINALLY have the 10/22 TD in my hands!....cherish your rights boys.

So far an idea has been banging in my head: Building a TD full stock out of this rifle. I might be able to put my hands for a few bucks in an used plain 10/22 wood stock and a local carpenter with decent skills (He repaired a friend's Anschutz stock that broke in half at the pistol grip neck right in the checkering area...it's a full stock model made of the proverbial "unobtanium" even in Europe and even if trying you won't be able to find the excellent repair job he did) using the original plastic stock as a template can cut it in half, do the proper inlets for the take-down assembly and extend the handguard right up to the muzzle, so the only issue might be making the proper Schnabel tip (I might have one stashed somewhere).

Will keep pondering about it, but meanwhile will post pics & range test ASAP.....delays, delays....
    Hope it is good shooter for you. You can always assemble it and just leave it that way, I reckon.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    At last! This last Friday we had a local religious (Catholic) holiday and found time to take the rifle to a local range so I could set the factory sights and test it in the 55 yard line.
    Here's the rifle, literally "as issued":

Only thing I did is setting the locking system to the tightest possible position by rotating the adjusting ring.
    Shot it prone (No other position available at this line) using a sandbag as rest. Took care of not touching the frontal section to avoid changing the POI (A common problem with these kind of take down systems) so placed the rifle on top of the bag just ahead of the magazine slot.
    Ammo used was Remington Thunderbolt, currently the cheapest bulk ammo option available, and target was the same used for .22LR concentric sights rifle shooting. Took some time to fine-tune the rear sight for vertical spread since in what I thought to be the 50-yards setting it was hitting like 6-7" and 4" to the left of my POA. Once height was OK, I drifted the rear sight to the right with a bronze mallet and after a total of like 20 rounds I moved to a "critter target" and aiming center mass (I can only see the whole animal figure with open sights, made this 3-shot group:

Enough for me considering all, and that this isn't intended to be my main hunting rifle but a plinker/backup/trip gun that I'll later fit with a red dot sight since I don't like at all the factory open sights style. Trigger wasn't light but good enough for the job and having no creep, so almost for sure won't modify it; maybe a couple extra mags and that's it.
    Well that would be 4 Rabbit Feets lucky charms fer yer key-chain.

Good shootin with open sights. :guns: :guns:
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,728 Senior Member
    Nicely done :up:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 8,574 Senior Member
    I like those
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Thanks guys. A small-game hunting trip that was almost frustrated by an accident with the scope taught me to properly set the iron sights of any rifle before scoping it; that time we took a single .22 rifle that someone laid against the truck's door and when a friend opened it from inside, well....you guess what happened with the scope. Removing it without the proper Allen wrench also taught a lesson but finally we were able to take the glass out and at least use it with the open sights; not great but at least trip wasn't a complete loss.

All those who had bought these rifles locally complain about the same: When scoped, if rested (Or some reasonable pressure applied) in the front half, you'll almost for sure have a wandering zero. I think their mistake is assuming a stock 10/22 using cheap bulk ammo can be more accurate than "minute-of-critter".