Home Main Category Clubhouse

Vietnam documentary on PBS

2»

Replies

• shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Aren't time machine wonderful.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I still haven't seen this, because I want to start from the first episode, and haven't run across it, yet. However, I ran across this and I think it demonstrates what my problem with Ken Burns has always been. He is a fair documentary film maker, and he goes into detail about some things. But he is selective in what he tells the 'whole truth' about. He gives a lot of minutes to the things that warm his heart, and pays lip service to the things that don't fit the liberal agenda very well. In this case, he apparently does not make use of the mountain of evidence of North Vietnamese atrocities, before, during, and after the war.

Here's the article:

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/what-ken-burns-vietnam-war-docu-series-on-pbs-gets-wrong/article/2640983
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I agree with the article. The two books I've read about the conflict mention routine disappearance of captured American personnel. This as well as the atrocities referenced were not given appropriate coverage.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,274 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    From the perspective of someone who was there, or at least close by in a combat support role, for quite a while, anything produced by Ken Burns holds zero interest to me. He's the most despicable sort of liberal, a sneaky, "holier than thou" kind with an agenda he slips in under the radar at every opportunity.

Once forces are committed to combat, anything less than a total effort toward a quick, decisive victory wastes precious lives and resources. We were betrayed by the politicians who put us in harm's way, and our own fellow citizens who were too cowardly to stand with us, literally or figuratively. That sort of thing can never be forgotten, nor forgiven!
    Jerry
    Once war is forced upon us, there is no alternative than to apply every available means to bring it to a swift end. War’s very object is victory—not prolonged indecision.” And, once again: “In war, indeed, there can be no substitute for victory.”

From General D. MacAuthor's fairwell speech to Congress after his recall from Korea by Pres. Truman

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo: