Old Guns ......New Guns

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,530 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    I want the colors to stay bright . The dark oil may mute them & not accent the colors.
    I need to glass them first so I have time to find out what will work best.

You can always test a patch, if you don't like it, strip it back off. I used it (Tru-Oil) on the Enfield, and then I tried it on a set of custom made rosewood grips. I found that you don't want to put as many coats on checkering as you would smooth wood. The only pair of laminated grips I have came to me already finished, so I didn't add to that.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,296 Senior Member
    If no one here knows then I will try a small spot.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 6,731 Senior Member
    I don't think you have to worry about dulling any of those colors! There's a little bit of extra wood on those blanks! I'd be knee deep in wood chips shaping those!!
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I don't think you have to worry about dulling any of those colors! There's a little bit of extra wood on those blanks! I'd be knee deep in wood chips shaping those!!

That's good news Al.
    I thought those were the final shapes.
    I like a bunch less wood on my stocks. Oh boy now I get to try being a wood butcher too !
    Sharpen up my wood chisels & see how creative I can get with the lumber.........at worst it will make a good fire starter !
    As those stocks are right now, they'd be only good for heavy bench rest shooting. I don't know what you intentions are or what barreled actions/calibers you are using. They sure aren't sporter stocks!
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 6,314 Senior Member
    Try a little in the barrel channel.

I'm not a fan of tru-oil. I like tung oil. Tung will not darken the stock but it would do a real nice job on that second one bringing out the green.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.
    2 of them look to be drilled for Remington 700 ,the brown one I have no idea.
    I think I have some sample peaces like 2x2 that I could try that on too.
  • bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,281 Senior Member
    I like about anything from 1900's to current. Or I should say smokeless powder.

I would love to someday own one the first semi auto pistols from Colt, Savage or Browning.

Any mil-surp is totally cool. And I love the classic bolt guns such as M70's and Remington 722's and 788's.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
    I tend to lean towards pistols.........then I started finding long guns .........then old guns.
    I guess it comes down to if it goes bang ....I will buy it !
    The first thing I noticed about older guns was how simple they were made & style was a big part of the guns design.
    I need to do an inventory of what I have ..........one so I know & the other is for the insurance co.
    Years ago I bought an Intertec 9mm just because it looked cool. ( wasn't impressed with how it shot )
    Double barrel shotguns with hammers I like too. Having one of those pointed at ya gives you a way different feeling than any pistol can. ( don't get me wrong both make ya say oh no )
    I was going to just order a clip for the nylon 11 ...... then looked at the price.
    Wow that made me start digging for my tub of clips.
    A huge mess & a few hours later I found the tub.
    Sorting through found the clip.Now the mess in in my kitchen too.
    Not going to put it away again untill I know what all these fit & bag & tag them.

Unless you bought out a hair salon, those are mostly magazines. About 6 Garand clips. For reference, you use a clip to load a magazine.

left is AR, 2 in stack low left AR. 4 longer ones in rt stack are AR AK, most of the long ones are AR, looks like a couple of the short ones could be Rem 760, I think the thicker ones ar rhe bottom are M14. Far right might be a 15 round Carbine
    :rotflmao:

Well that's good news !
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,644 Senior Member
    If you come up with one mag you can’t figure out post a pic here. Someone will know what it’s for.
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
    Thanks that would help with the search.
    I know some go with the rifles I have but some may not.
    Just another project to do before I can get back to putting rifles back together.
    Thanks that would help with the search.
    I know some go with the rifles I have but some may not.
    Just another project to do before I can get back to putting rifles back together.
    No problem. A quick look and you don’t seem to have anything too obscure in that pile. In your defense you do have a few Garand clips. :tooth:
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,465 Senior Member
    Actually, you could start a separate thread called 'Identify this part please' and post up just about anything gun related.........There is enough experience and knowledge on this board in my opinion to identify just about anything gun related.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    No problem. A quick look and you don’t seem to have anything too obscure in that pile. In your defense you do have a few Garand clips. :tooth:

I said MOST and pointed that out, :hand:
    orchidman wrote: »
    Actually, you could start a separate thread called 'Identify this part please' and post up just about anything gun related.........There is enough experience and knowledge on this board in my opinion to identify just about anything gun related.

I am trying to figure out most of this stuff.
    Posting pics of all the parts I have bought would be months of posting.
    When I first came to this forum I said that I am not a gunsmith just trying to put back together what I can & get rid of the rest. And get back to reloading & shooting. I bought a estate of a gunsmith so there are guns here that I have never seen .Not trying to use or BS the members here just looking for advice & getting to know people with the same interests I have.
    I am trying to figure out most of this stuff.
    Posting pics of all the parts I have bought would be months of posting.
    When I first came to this forum I said that I am not a gunsmith just trying to put back together what I can & get rid of the rest. And get back to reloading & shooting. I bought a estate of a gunsmith so there are guns here that I have never seen .Not trying to use or BS the members here just looking for advice & getting to know people with the same interests I have.
    So far you are doing quite well.
    So far you are doing quite well.

Thanks.
    What has really surprised me is how much small screws cost . Seems to me nothing at a gun supply place is less than $5
    3 small screws for a 700 cost $15 plus 5 shipping. Those prices has made me look around a lot more than I normally would. I will probably have more money in these guns than they are worth but saving the old guns is worth it to me.
    With each gun I try to find out when they were made too.
    I have 2 Winchester 97s one was made 1904 the other was 1930.
    I don't know if the 04 had a metal butt plate or a plastic same with the 30 . Does anyone know what is the proper plates to put back on them ?
    I’ve had great luck with gun parts at decent prices on eBay. I’ll check on the ‘97s in a little bit unless someone gets to it first. I have a plastic one on my “watch” list on eBay I was going to buy as a spare. If it’s correct for the ‘04 I’ll send you the link.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,299 Senior Member

Here is what I can identify
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    If that is a carcano clip (yes they used clips to load their magazines) I know a guy who would put it to good use.
    bullsi1911 wrote: »

Here is what I can identify

Wow thanks so much !
    I may get my table back a lot sooner than I thought !:applause:
    I’ve had great luck with gun parts at decent prices on eBay. I’ll check on the ‘97s in a little bit unless someone gets to it first. I have a plastic one on my “watch” list on eBay I was going to buy as a spare. If it’s correct for the ‘04 I’ll send you the link.

That would help a lot too. I think in my boxes of butt plates I have 1 that is plastic & 1 that is some type of pot metal .
    A couple of curved brass ones too. ( I am guessing those were for the Winchester 1873 )
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 7,465 Senior Member

Actually, the more I look at that pic, the more I think that it would make a great Jigsaw puzzle for the gun enthusiast. :jester:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    orchidman wrote: »
    Actually, the more I look at that pic, the more I think that it would make a great Jigsaw puzzle for the gun enthusiast. :jester:

Feel free to use it any time !
    Managed to get the mags & clips bagged & tagged thanks guys !
    While putting those away found this . I think there is a nice stock hidden in this hunk of wood.
    Managed to get the mags & clips bagged & tagged thanks guys !
    While putting those away found this . I think there is a nice stock hidden in this hunk of wood.

From the color and grain pattern, it looks like a piece of Claro Walnut. It's a cross between American black and English walnut.
    It would make a lot of pistol grips !