300 BO or 6.5 Grendel for the grandson?

2»

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,287 Senior Member
    6.5, because you're already well set up for the round.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    One thought. Will the gun be his, or Grandpa's that he uses?
    If it is to be his forever gun, give him a choice of handguards and stock.
    Or
    Get the .300BO upper (low recoil) and if he takes to it, build his own lower and give him the gun. If it isnt for him you add an upper to your collection.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,296 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    One thought. Will the gun be his, or Grandpa's that he uses?
    Grandpa's

His mother is scared of having one in the house, for now. I'm working on getting her to learn how to shoot and handle them too.
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

6.5, because you're already well set up for the round.
    Which is one of the strikes against it.

Dies and Brass are the only things between me and loading for the BO
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    knitepoet wrote: »
    Which is one of the strikes against it.

Dies are the only thing between me and loading for the BO

You've got brass. Yeah you'll have to chop .223 down but...
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,422 Senior Member
    I voted 300 BO. Like you said, the difference in cost for the upper more than covers getting set up for a new cartridge. I've seen brass for not much more than 223 brass, already cut down and ready to size. And since this is grandpa's gun.... and gramps already has the 6.5 covered, I think he needs a new toy
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    IAnd since this is grandpa's gun.... and gramps already has the 6.5 covered, I think he needs a new toy
    :win:

cpj wrote: »
    You've got brass. Yeah you'll have to chop .223 down but...
    Ummmm NO. I'm not in the market for something else to "make" brass for.

7TC/U (223 based) and IHMSA ( Savage based.) are enough.

I'll stick with factory formed brass as long as it's available

Edited to add: when the 6.5CM came out, I compared it to the IHMSA and I BELIEVE I can make IHMSA brass from it too, expand the neck and slightly push the shoulder back and Bob's my uncle

Quick check on Midway, outside of 1x fired brass, the 300 is for the most part only a few cents more per case. .04-.10 per case is probably worth it vs the time of making brass from 223. Of course if you already have thousands of 223 on hand, I can see the appeal of doing it ones self.
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • 41magnut41magnut Senior Member Posts: 1,121 Senior Member
    Oldest grandson wants to go hunting with me and his Granny this season.
    His only shooting, so far, is a couple of rounds of 22LR and one shot from my crossbow. So his wish to actually shoot one ain't happening this season.

Because I have 2 AR lowers with adjustable stocks, I plan on getting a 22lr conversion to take him shooting and teach him safe gun handling. Once I get my stamp back, it'll also be wearing a suppressor, so there will be neither recoil nor muzzle blast to adversely affect him learning the fundamentals.

My plan is to give him enough trigger time between now and the 2018 season, that I will be confident in his ability to cleanly take deer.

While I have killed a deer with a 223, and know it is adequate, in experienced hands. I'm not a fan of it as a beginner's round.

My plan is teach him to shoot with the 22 adapter installed, and then introduce him to the larger caliber late next summer, early next fall.
    The only 6.5G upper I have is an AA 24" "Overwatch" and is too heavy for him (Hell, I don't like hunting with it because it's so heavy) plus the 24" is difficult to maneuver in the shooting house.

So my thinking is buy a lightweight upper in one of the cartridges in question.

I've killed enough deer with my 2 6.5Gs that I KNOW they'll do a fine job. HOWEVER, I do already have 2 of them (One upper and one 799 rebarrelled)
    The 300BO should do just as good a job at the normal range of my shots (150 yards, or less)

Pros: 6.5- Have dies, brass, bullets, powder and experience loading and hunting with.
    300BO- Less recoil, have bullets, lower price upper (enough so, that when adding dies and brass, cost will prett much be a wash)

Cons: 6.5- More expensive upper (see above) slightly more recoil
    300BO- No experience with... Loading, terminal performance, ballistics

Okay, I think I've given enough information for an informed vote,

so, OF THESE TWO CALIBERS ONLY, which would you choose for a, soon to be, 10 year old to use for his first hunting, and why??
    You have a bolt gun chambered in the 6.5 Grendel, correct?
    Since your two ARs are considered too heavy & cumbersome, the 799 seems a logical choice.
    What did miss?

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen :iwo:
    41magnut wrote: »
    You have a bolt gun chambered in the 6.5 Grendel, correct?
    Since your two ARs are considered too heavy & cumbersome, the 799 seems a logical choice.
    What did miss?
    Only the 24" Grendel heavy barrelled upper is too heavy. I actually had him handling my lightweight 16" 223 AR with an adjustable stock Saturday, and he was able to handle it just fine. (With the stock fully collapsed)

The problem with the 799, for him, is that the length of pull is too long, and I'm not willing to cut down the stock on my favorite deer rifle.

• terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,012 Senior Member
    Did you ever decide. I'm strongly considering getting a 6.5 upper From BCA. 16 or 18 inch barrel. I don't want anything heavy.
    Did you ever decide. I'm strongly considering getting a 6.5 upper From BCA. 16 or 18 inch barrel. I don't want anything heavy.

Pretty well decided on a BO.
    I love my Grendels, but 2 are enough. I have the Heavy AR for precision shooting and the lighter/shorter/handier 799 for hunting.

Awesome. I'm going to build a BO pistol I think. If for no other reason than just for the heck of it. Future possible son-in-law built a Grendel for hunting. It's a nice set up.
    Current thinking is a 16" with a carbine length gas system for a supersonic hunting rig for grandson, and SBR'ing one of my lowers and a 10.5" upper for subs (and eventually a can)

Might get the can first, then the SBR though, so I can have it for him to hunt/learn with to prevent hearing damage and the flinching muzzle blast can cause.

• cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,653 Senior Member
    Current thinking is a 16" with a carbine length gas system for a supersonic hunting rig for grandson, and SBR'ing one of my lowers and a 10.5" upper for subs (and eventually a can)

Might get the can first, then the SBR though, so I can have it for him to hunt/learn with to prevent hearing damage and the flinching muzzle blast can cause.
    You've got an ar pistol, so get a "stabilizing brace ".
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
    I'm really wanting the 300 BO to be an SBR but don't know if I want to fool with all the hoops to jump through. Like CPJ said, might just get a brace.
    I'm really wanting the 300 BO to be an SBR but don't know if I want to fool with all the hoops to jump through. Like CPJ said, might just get a brace.
    Since I already have my Trust, might as well make use of it

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,333 Senior Member
    As you know I have both and have hunted with both. Depending on the size of the deer 150 yards is about the farthest I would want to play with the .300 BO. The 6.5 Grendel will be good we’ll beyond.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
    Thanks Tim. I figured 150 was about max for the BO, and luckily, where I hunt is also about the furthest shot I have

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,727 Senior Member
    You have me wondering
    The reviews i have read on the www are mixed.
    Would using a longer barrel say 18 or 20"s give you any more reach than a 16" or shorter barrel?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    You have me wondering
    Would using a longer barrel say 18 or 20"s give you any more reach than a 16" or shorter barrel?
    Not much.
    With the minuscule charges of pistol powder used in the BO, (compared to other CF rifle) you're not going to gain a bunch.

It would depend on the actual bullet weight and BC, but my guess would be 25-yards or so.

Edited to add:
    Just ran the numbers through QL, with a max load of Li'l gun and a 125 solid copper bullet, 16 to 18" gains 44fps and 18 to 20" gains you 37.

You have me wondering

Seems anything over 16" is a very minimal gain over 12-16". This round really does just fit the ar pistol/sbr/carbine set up best
2»