Rifle Scope Help

browninghunter86browninghunter86 MemberPosts: 351 Member
What is a good rifle scope under $200 that has alot of power? Say anywhere from 12-24max power that would be going on a .308 or possibly a .270 I know its not the most expensive but anyone shoot Barska sniper model with illuminated reticle??
Andrew

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,851 Senior Member
    Not sure what quality you'd get for that much magnification for under $200. But for about $210 or so you can get a Nikon Prostaff 4-12X40 which is a really underpriced scope for what you get. I have a 3-9x40 Prostaff on my Remington SPS M-700 30-06 and I have a 200 grain bullet load that slams me pretty hard for an 06, but it "takes a lickin and keeps on tickin." And it's more clear than some of my Leupolds that cost $40-$50 more. Also, the Leupold made Redfield Revolution 4-12x40 is a steal at about the same price. They both have superior light transmission (good optics) for what they cost and are plenty good for any hunting application in my book.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    Barska = junk...

What in heavens name do you want 24X for? especially on a .308 or .270...

The Redfield Revolution 4-12X 40 with an accurange reticle will get the job done well for the price you're looking at. Leupold owns Redfield and stands behind them with the same guarantee... I've got Redfields on a large share of my hunting rifles.
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 15,055 Senior Member
    You're so much more PC than I am...nice commentary...:up:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 7,346 Senior Member
    Another vote for spending just a bit more for something better. Barska is trash. For a few dollars more, you can get a much better scope in a Redfield Revolution (as Jayhawker pointed out, a company owned and warrantied by Leupold). I picked up their 3-9x400 with the standard duplex reticle and have been more than impressed at how far my dollar has gone. I use that scope to work up loads on new rifles before settling on something more upscale, but it's no slouch itself. The reticle is fine enough for target work at 100 yards even though it's set to be parallax free at 150 yards. Despite that, the group below was shot with this same 3-9x40mm Redfield @ 100 yards (3 shots, .294") with a little bit of concentration and technique:

TikkaT3StainlessLite243Wingroup100yards.jpg
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • browninghunter86browninghunter86 Member Posts: 351 Member
    Ok was just wandering about Barska never seen one or looked through one. I was considering the Redfield or Prostaff in 4-12x-40mm I guess. I have bad eye sight and I switched to Prostaff 4-12x and is good I believe. Only scope other than packaged rifle combo scopes I have ever had. Was just wanting any other ideas on brands
    Andrew
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Barska = junk...

What in heavens name do you want 24X for? especially on a .308 or .270...

The Redfield Revolution 4-12X 40 with an accurange reticle will get the job done well for the price you're looking at. Leupold owns Redfield and stands behind them with the same guarantee... I've got Redfields on a large share of my hunting rifles.

Thats good info. I was told and read RedField was Leupold basically.
    Andrew
    If you hang on a couple of months, Nikon is upscaling their line. The Prostaffs will have even better optics. And I don't think the price is changing much.

I think it's possible there has been some kind of breakthrough in optics technology that allows better optics coatings for less money, because the optic quality is going up and the prices don't reflect it. Leupold is doing the same with the VX-1 and VX-2.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • QuinianQuinian Senior Member Posts: 707 Senior Member
    I have a Barska... after ooooh 4 shots it was instantly ripped off my .308 and slapped on one of my .22 just cause I hate iron sights.

I know NCStar is considered crap too and I wouldn't suggest buying one but to be fair that is what is on my .308 for the time being and it works great. My groups look like the picture above. Only reason I went with that over the others suggested is because I wanted insane magnification and wasn't willing to pay the 1K+ price tag for good optics with hubble telescope vision
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,508 Senior Member
    Keep saving your $$. About the only scopes to buy in the $200 range are 3-9x40 Burris, Redfield, or Nikon. More power = more money. Don't overlook used scopes, lots of people are selling stuff right now to raise Christmas cash. Ebay, Craigslist, Armslist...
    would be using for deer hunting 25-400ish yd shot opportunity
    Andrew
    is this the scopes on their site currently? Looks new and has more features than the older model? I got mine 2 yrs ago I believe

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/prostaff/4-12x40_Nikoplex/6728
    Andrew
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 15,213 Senior Member
    would be using for deer hunting 25-400ish yd shot opportunity
    For under 100 yards, anything over 4x is a waste, in my opinion. For hunting, brightness and clarity are my real concerns. I would think 12x max power would work great at those distances. These guys suggested some good ones. Of them, I would personally give the Redfield a try...
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/210848/redfield-revolution-rifle-scope-4-12x-40mm-4-plex-reticle-matte
    everyone agree that either ProStaff or RedField for my needs? Thanks for the help again everyone
    Andrew
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,043 Senior Member
    For about $170.00 the (Don't boo:blah:) Mueller APT 4.5-14 (30mm tube) external turrets.
    I have several of these scopes, and I have seen several of these scopes do well out to 1K this past June.
    For me it is my economy LR scope.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
    Yep, that's a great scope for the money. But I still say if he can hold off a little while that I read that the Prostaff and actually all Nikons are being improved optically. The one in the add at Midway is the old style Prostaff, which has no flies in its soup, but they are upgrading the optics. Supposedly the new improved Generation II Prostaff will have as high as 98% Light transmission. That's up there with the Leupold VX-3. I'm not saying it will be as good as a VX-3 but that's a hell of an improvement for the money.
    found ProStaff 6728 for $155 and RedField for $166 NIB 4-12x-40mm. The one I have is model 6324( few yrs old) and the one on Nikons site now is 6728. So new products 2012 should be available after the SHOT show in January? Or is it usually few months after that? Never followed stuff like this. Guss wont hurt to wait deer season is over in 2 weeks anyway so could stick with what I have on it until new models come out
    Andrew
    You might give their customer service a call and see when it will happen or if it already has happend.
    I will give them a call because the scope on their site says 98% light transmission and is different then my old one
    Andrew
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,728 Senior Member
  • DalebowDalebow Member Posts: 45 Member
    Burris fullfield II 2-7 or 3-9, got several NEVER lost zero, nice weight, size, great clarity, decent low light.........plenty scope and priced under $200
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,496 Senior Member
    Excuse my bluntness but you don't seem like the guy that owns a lot of rifles. That's not a bad thing, you'll know your weapon well. Save your money and buy the best scope you can find, you won't regret buying quality. A Leupold 3X9X40 VXII will keep your head down on the stock, give you all the magnifacation you'll need, have superior light transmision and last you the rest of your life. Save a little longer.
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
    Nope sure dont. only been hunting 6 yrs and own 2 rifles and 2 pistols so you are correct. Went with the Nikon Prostaff have it on my other rifle and this one is the newest Prostaff. If it gets the job done for 1/2 the money then I am good with not having the most expensive scope out
    Andrew
    In my opinion you did very good. In fact I'm thinking about that same scope right now for my latest build. For the money you can't beat Nikon or the new Redfields. And from what I'm reading, the Leupold VX-1s are coming up in the world also. I already have a bunch of the entry level Leupolds and they do the job fine too. The main thing with Leupold products to include the new Redfield line, the Nikon line, and the Burris lines of scopes is even with their more entry level scopes you still get quality.
    wanted to try Redfield but decided on Nikon because of the adjustable eyefocus feature and the ability to use the zero reset turret. I used it already and worked perfectly. Sighted in my rifle then before last rd lifted up on turret and put it on zero and shot and it was dead on where my others were
    Andrew
    Let me know how you like it because I may jump on it too.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Let me know how you like it because I may jump on it too.

will go out this evening and see how low light is on it.
    Andrew
    I tell you there are some fine scopes out there, but man when I look at what a Prostaff and a Redfield Revolution cost and what they offer for the money, it's just hard to pass one up. Like my 3-9x40 Prostaff I have on my Remington 700 SPS 30-06, it is one of my clearest scopes and I think four years ago I paid all of $160 for it with a BDC reticle. How you gonna beat that? And it holds Zero as good as any of them. Like I have always said, for a purely hunting rifle you don't really need anything more. I've heard all the low light arguments but for hunting in daylight hours such as deer hunting here shooting time starts at 30 minutes before sun rise, it's really gotta be dark and rainy to hurt matters with any decent scope. And if the weather's that bad I"m going to be back at the cabin sleeping in. Don't get me wrong. I have a Leupold VX-3 scope and I can tell that it's a little brighter than anything else I have, but does it make enough difference for hunting? I don't think it does. The one thing I like about that scope is when I'm at the range and trying to see bullet holes. You can pick up on them with that scope better, but it doesn't show me deer where the others won't. And another of my pet peeves (And I know most people here think I'm a broken record about this one) is you shouldn't be trying to spot game with a loaded rifle. I've heard people say it here, but I won't back off of it. That is not a safe thing to be doing. That's why I spend money on some decent binos. And binos are better than any scope because you use both eyes. Anyway, those are my reasons and I still say the Prostaff and the Redfield are more than good enough for hunting.
  • JeeperJeeper Senior Member Posts: 2,952 Senior Member
    If you just want more magnification, Bushnell has at least one model out that might work. Bushnell Trophy 6-18X40

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-6-18x40-trophy-xlt-adjustable-objective-matte-riflescope.html

Optics are probably not quite on par with the Nikon Prostaff, but the magnification is better as long as it's not too dark to see. MILES better than any Barska or NCStar.

Luis
    Wielding the Hammer of Thor first requires you to lift and carry the Hammer of Thor. - Bigslug
    Jeeper wrote: »
    If you just want more magnification, Bushnell has at least one model out that might work. Bushnell Trophy 6-18X40

http://www.opticsplanet.net/bushnell-6-18x40-trophy-xlt-adjustable-objective-matte-riflescope.html

Optics are probably not quite on par with the Nikon Prostaff, but the magnification is better as long as it's not too dark to see. MILES better than any Barska or NCStar.

Luis

That ain't no joke. Yes I would go for a good Bushnell also. Any of these are good.