Home Main Category Hunting

I did guano today

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 8,183 Senior Member
Should have stayed in bed.
Got out in OK time, had a treestand problem. With holidays and extra family stuff this week, I didnt get to go out to give her a once over. Not a big deal, got it squared away enough to crawl into.
Had the 45-70. It was hitting poi = poa at 125 last week.
Saw a 6 point, legal for me with antler restrictions coming into range with a 4 and some doe. Doe or fawn bawling. The buck stayed behind trees for a bit, finally got a shot. BOOM he flinches, (cool) walks around another tree. Hmm I get another shot threading trees at about 70 yds,.... BOOM he flinches again, moves away from me till I cant see him. Hmm, not so good. I wait for a bit and the herd takes off over the hill.

I finally figure out where he was in relation to the stand, and I find blood (hooray) it goes 30 feet and disappears. I figure I have to have him so I grid search. Call the wife and daughter to help. no joy. Another hunter on a adjoining property says he saw one limping over the next hill. Grid search that woods. nothing, no blood, no trail, no deer.
I go back to where I hit him, and I find white fur. Figure that was #1, I had to hit a leg on #2. IDFK. the only other one I ever wounded was 38 years ago. Dont feel any better now.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    I hate to hear it dude.... It's happened to me and I feel like one of the few things I do great in this world is kill stuff with a rifle! Keep shooting em though!
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man