Home Main Category General Firearms

Pistol Range for Hunting?

Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior MemberPosts: 1,348 Senior Member
Although I love shooting pistols (particularly .22 target pistols), I have never considered hunting anything larger than a squirrel with one. I have never tried one of those pistols that fire rifle calibers.

https://nypost.com/2017/11/24/hunter-fatally-shot-woman-he-thought-was-a-deer-cops/

This story has been big news in the area. Assuming that he had not been trespassing and illegally hunting after dark, are humane 200 yard shots reasonably possible with a pistol?

Replies

• knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    We've already had 2 threads (merged into one) on this topic in the hunting subforum.
    http://forums.gunsandammo.com/showthread.php?34889-It-Seems-To-Happen-Every-Season

I'm nowhere near the pistol shooter Ernie Bishop is, but a 6" plate @ 300 yards is EASY with one of my SPs (XP-100 7mmIHMSA) and only 4/5 on 4" clay pigeons on the 300 yard berm is a disappointment
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,518 Senior Member
    ........are humane 200 yard shots reasonably possible with a pistol?

Yes. And considerably further.

Basically, the only things no stopping you is the ability of the shooter to hit his target and the retained velocity of the bullet at impact being adequate to promote needed penetration/expansion.

Same/Same as a rifle shooter.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Uncle FesterUncle Fester Senior Member Posts: 1,348 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

Basically, the only things no stopping you is the ability of the shooter to hit his target and the retained velocity of the bullet at impact being adequate to promote needed penetration/expansion.

Thanks.

It is a shame that guy makes real hunters look bad.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 7,425 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »

THIS
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"