Home Main Category General Firearms

What do you AR guys think of the Ruger MPR 5.56 AR

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
Best price I could find is about a little less than $620 within reasonable driving distance of me. It has a free floated bbl and a lot of other upgrades in furniture/finish-coatings/18" bbl and the aftermarket Ruger trigger included.

I have a couple NIB scopes I could put on it and all the reloading components already.

Keep in mind I am not all that interested in "Building" an AR much beyond buying complete uppers or lowers. Not sure I could match a comparable one from parts with all the extras this model has and it has the Ruger warranty.

Didn't think I really wanted another, but am sure considering this one for the price point, which is not much over what I paid for the 556 model I have and about the same after I bought the Ruger drop in trigger (Elite 452) for it.

Way I see it is the "Short" one I already own is for the house...keep'em outta the backyard, handy and range/plinking with. IOW, leave it like it is.

This one would be for more precise shootin at the range...........about my only use fer it.

http://www.ruger-firearms.com/products/ar556MPR/models.html
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I missed a pre-order offer a few months ago fer $559 (?) or so I have been reading about, didn't know I was interested back then.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    I do value all y'alls opinions on here, even those I disagree with and understand your wants/needs/purpose/desires/budgets/tastes concerning firearms can differ vastly from mine and everyone else on here.

:group: :group:
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    Pretty generic looking DMR or 3 gun type rifle. It should work just fine and be plenty accurate for your uses Chief. Go for it.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 16,127 Senior Member
    Should you buy another rifle?

Yes.
    Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.
    -Thomas Paine
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    Sure, why not
    Gopher it
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,008 Senior Member
    Throw a 1-6x optic on there, and you should be good to go.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Throw a 1-6x optic on there, and you should be good to go.

What about "Bigger" scopes like either of these I have sittin around NIB waiting for a home atop a rifle.

Or better suited to mount an AR specific scope?

1Qpch9t.jpg
    Weaver Classic 6-24X42

Bushnell Legend 4.5-14X44
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Looks like a decent combination of features for around $600. 4.5 lbs is a bit heavy trigger wise for me but that can be easily fixed for $120 or so.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    It's probably a decent choice. Honestly, the Rugers I looked over in person I wasn't too impressed with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
    Would a 3-9 or 4-18 be the best in an AR specific scope?
  • Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior Member Posts: 2,031 Senior Member
    For an AR it's a great deal with what it has included. I'm not one for high magnification I'd go 3x9 if that's the lowest you have or a 1x6 or 2X7 would really be ideal in my book! Looks to be a nice Christmas present to yourself! Congrats!
    Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21
    Yes it is...............ordered it a little bit ago.

OK, I'm done buying guns fer the year :tooth: :guns: :guns:
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Would a 3-9 or 4-18 be the best in an AR specific scope?

I am putting together a somewhat similar build with a 1-6x scope. I have others with similar magnification to what you're suggesting and they are great for hunting but not so handy for dynamic target work like three gun and the like (or zombies).
    Now to load up some ammo.......I have some Hornady 75 grain BTHPs already loaded, but seated out further for a Savage bolt rifle. I guess I could just seat them deeper to AR specs, but probably just load some more. Will try all weights in it from 52,53, 55, 62 to 75 grains.

Have Nikon P series mount on the way which is reversible if the charging handle becomes an issue......I have a couple scopes already albeit a little big in length for an AR. I almost bought a 3-9 Bushnell AR Drop Zone one, but decided on the 4.5-18X40mm model.

Midway wants $209

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1325784269/bushnell-ar-optics-rifle-scope-45-18x-40mm-side-focus-matte

Amazon $123

Ebay from a sports warehouse in Penn wants $109 or so

Optics Planet $119

So you gotta shop around, could save enough to buy a few hundred bullets to reload.

I went with Amazon because returns (if necessary) are easy, free Prime shipping and plus they gave me a $40 gift card off for using their credit card which gives you a 5% back to use on future Amazon purchases. So I got it for $83 bucks.

You can apply online in about 30 seconds. So the trick is to pay it off every month like I do with my Capital One. I can see where a Gun Nut and credit cards could easily get outta hand. Worse than a blonde in a shopping mall with a wallet full of Platinum/Gold cards............:yikes: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

Hey, I ain't cheap, but being on R&R (Retired & ****) is a "Fixed Income" and you are likely to see tiny (few bucks) COLA raises only every year, if that.
    JKP wrote: »
    I am putting together a somewhat similar build with a 1-6x scope. I have others with similar magnification to what you're suggesting and they are great for hunting but not so handy for dynamic target work like three gun and the like (or zombies).

I looked at lot of those, but my shooting will almost always be off a bench, no shootin and scootin fer me. Maybe an occasional chance to shoot targets of opportunity in the woods.

I am beginning to appreciate all the different AR equipment from the guns/configurations to scopes/optics and why folks buy what they do............another possible money pit, though.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LxgW81X9s6M

He explains it better than I can................