Golfer in Chief

Replies

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,375 Senior Member
    What he said! ^^^^
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 18,849 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    What’s truly ironic and funny is that liberals believe that anyone was actually complaining about the amount of time Obama spent playing golf. Everyone complained about the amount of time he was playing golf while OUR COUNTRY WAS GOING TO HELL!!!!! .
    :win:

On the crawler across the screen of the local news last night, they said the NYSE set its 51st record high closing since Trump's inauguration.

I know better than giving all the credit to Trump for making it happen, HOWEVER, I firmly believe the POTUS, whomever they may be, CAN influence it to some degree, in either direction
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,101 Senior Member
    BTW how about all the folks that predicted that Trump would become anti 2A as soon as he took office. Are they now willing to admit they were wrong? Several mass shooting later and still staunchly agains further laws. Hummmmm, is that going to become a “subject” of a thread? Nope but golfing is.....
    I'll own up to being leery of his Second Amendment stance. Even said he could very well sign legislation if it comes across his desk so he appeases the voting populace. No legislation has come across his desk yet, so I still say we don't really know.

Not saying he will, just that he might.

I also remember that our prior 2 Republican presidents either signed gun control legislation or said they'd sign it if it came across their desk. So I guess I've learned not to trust any of them? :uhm:
    Overkill is underrated.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    I think that what really pisses most of you out is the gruesome (But not surprising) double standard press uses to put (Or plain avoid doing it) POTUS leisure time in the news and the spin they give to it, regardless if he's golfing or just playing with a slinky at the WH stairs.
  • alphasigmookiealphasigmookie Senior Member Posts: 8,743 Senior Member
    S&P

https://finance.yahoo.com/quote/%5EGSPC

Unemployment Rate

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/unemployment-rate

Consumer confidence

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/consumer-confidence

I really find it quite hilarious that for 8 years as everything in the economy was tending better but there was a black Democrat in office so "the world was going to hell", but as soon as an old white Republican is in office everything is magically better. Oh wait. Look at any major economic indicator over the past 9 years and they all have been trending positive. Every one of them. But you couldn't possibly recognize that until you could give credit to a Republican who hasn't done anything except tweet. Now I think presidents get way too much credit and blame for the economy, but I do find it peculiar how tainted our view of reality and the economy is depending on which team we root for and which team holds power at any given time.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
    knitepoet wrote: »
    :win:

On the crawler across the screen of the local news last night, they said the NYSE set its 51st record high closing since Trump's inauguration.

I know better than giving all the credit to Trump for making it happen, HOWEVER, I firmly believe the POTUS, whomever they may be, CAN influence it to some degree, in either direction
    Something to keep in mind wrt the stock market. Republicans are promising a major cut in corporate taxes. Stocks are valued based on their after tax earnings. Regardless what you think of the tax cuts they're undeniably good for stock prices. The cut they're proposing equates to ~ a 23% increase in after tax earnings for stocks which at a constant valuation is a 23% increase in stock price, which just so happens to be about the gain in the markets we've seen since Trump took office. It's also probably in the ballpark of how much they'll fall if the tax cuts don't pass.
    "Finding out that you have run out of toilet paper is a good example of lack of preparation, buying 10 years worth is silly"
    -DoctorWho
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,729 Senior Member
    Personally, I feel that since Trump called out Obama on his golfing- he has left himself open for every sling and arrow that his opponents send his way on it.

But I was never much of a Trump fan in the first place. I voted against Hillary, not for Trump.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    I'm thinking Obama golfed to get away from work. Trump golfs to think about work.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • Troy800Troy800 New Member Posts: 24 New Member
    Why does anyone care about either of there golf games. In a position as high stress as president i would be more worried if they didnt do something to get some down time.
    Trump=golf
    Obama=golf
    Clinton=Interns
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,147 Senior Member
    S&P.....................I really find it quite hilarious that for 8 years as everything in the economy was tending better but there was a black Democrat in office so "the world was going to hell", but as soon as an old white Republican is in office everything is magically better.........

Trending better? Good grief, even you can't be that blind! Leave it to a **** lib to imply racism. That is a new low for even you....but then again, maybe it isn't.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
    Trending better? Now, it's exploded better after only a year. Think of how it could have improved with a President and not a community organizer in the Oval Office. Alpha, stick to guns. Your emperor has no clothes...
    Trending better? Good grief, even you can't be that blind! Leave it to a **** lib to imply racism. That is a new low for even you....but then again, maybe it isn't.
    Facts. Stats. In what way has the economy changed in ways that it wasn't already changing or in change of degrees. Give me some data or even friggin anecdotes. I get it that most of you "feel" like the economy is significantly better. I say most people are blinded by partisanship. It doesn't go one way either. I'm sure I can find just as many Democrats who were fairly satisfied with the economy 13 months ago who will now say it's "going to hell". It doesn't mean it is. The objective truth is that the economy has been growing slowish but steady for the past 8-9 years. Nothing major has changed about that other than who recognizes that things are ok and who thinks everything is going to hell.

https://tradingeconomics.com/united-states/gdp-growth

7364368ffb840d74b1faaea0c798a5b4.jpg
    -DoctorWho
    cpj wrote: »
    Race card much ?
    Fair. It was unnecessary. I do think it played a factor for some people though, not necessary here. Shoot last year at least 40% of Republicans STILL believed Obama was a secret Muslim. Partisan politics seems to be making people insane and it's only getting worse! I wish there was a way to qualify it, but I first recognized it under Bush, because I briefly suffered from it (Bush derangement syndrome). It got way worse with Obama, and now with Trump we're seeing a whole new level of insanity. I honestly think the trend would have been similarly terrible on the right had Clinton won. It was already in a fairly high boil even during the election.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/poll-persistent-partisan-divide-over-birther-question-n627446
    -DoctorWho
    I prefer personal experience to government charts. Many of my professional friends that have struggled finding a job or have been underemployed for years are getting calls and jobs again for positions at their right level. All the companies I work with are implementing expansion plans. New home Construction is booming all around me and even service folks (in my ongoing informal small sample polls) and local small businesses are telling me their business is much better and they ALL squarely give the Trump presidency kudos including the ones that hate him and did NOT vote for him... THIS is the consumer index of confidence I need to see what is going on.
    I would argue that the exact same would be the case had Hilary won, but many of the same people in the same situations would have argued that things were not so good. And many of the things you talk about, especially building and business investment are things that are planned years in advance. Shoot there have been construction cranes working non-stop in DC the past 5 years. They can't build condos fast enough! I'm NOT saying Trump has been bad or isn't "good" but I am saying presidents get too much credit and blame for the economy. And that's a good thing, because we're overdue for a recession and it's likely to happen before Trump leaves office. I also know that a growing number of people's opinions about the economy are massively influenced by who is in office and who they voted for. That imho is not a good thing.
    -DoctorWho
    Pretty sure no Republicans would have been out in the streets rioting and destroying property while wearing black masks...
    Were they even Democrats? (Did they vote?)
    Overkill is underrated.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I agree with Alpha on this partisan spin deal.

I think a lot of people are being indoctrinated in a direction against their own best interests, either/or enjoy contributing to whatever spin is currently attractive.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
    Ok, empowered snowflakes offended by micro-aggression... better? :tooth:
    Did you just assume the cause of their offense?
    Overkill is underrated.
    Yes, my white privilege allows me to do so...

Says the Puerto Rican :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

knitepoet wrote: »
    Says the Puerto Rican :rotflmao:
    Puerto Rican is a nationality.
    Hispanic is an ethnicity.
    White is a race.
    Overkill is underrated.
    Puerto Rican is a nationality.
    Hispanic is an ethnicity.
    White is a race.

Consider me properly corrected
    :jester::whip2:

:rotflmao:

........Shoot there have been construction cranes working non-stop in DC the past 5 years. They can't build condos fast enough!.....

DC and the Northern VA area is an outlier. The growth there is probably mostly due to the expansion of Govt. jobs under Obama. The same is not necessarily true for other cities.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,330 Senior Member
    My BIL constantly tells my wife I’m the whitest puertorican in the world. It’s become an inside joke in the family. It’s a good thing I’m not a butthurt liberal or I’d have too sue him :tooth:

When we met back in '14 you didn't "looked Puertorrican" to ME at all! :jester: really surprised me when you begun speaking Spanish.

Friend of mine who has a small real state-related business in CO says that working contracts have evidently increased since Trump, who wasn't his favorite option (Neither the Republicans), took office. Relatives of mine living in North FLA also have the same comments, and they weren't Trump fans either. Might be a personal perspective, but in the end reality matters little if people's perception has a different orientation.
    Facts. Stats. In what way has the economy changed in ways that it wasn't already changing or in change of degrees. Give me some data or even friggin anecdotes. I get it that most of you "feel" like the economy is significantly better........................

Quote under your little sine-wave chart: "US GDP Growth Revised Up to 3.3% in Q3, Highest in 3 Years" and the bar-graph that covers the current trend, not the one in your last post. I can see in the local paper that the economy is better. The classified job ads in the sunday paper is 5 times what it was last year, especially for engineering and other high-tech jobs that weren't available a year ago. Your history of bias on this forum in the 9 years I have been here shows that you are at least as bad as you accuse us of being, regardless of all your links from the internet.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    Per the local news today.

"It's poised to break a 20 year old record of monthly gains"

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,608 Senior Member
    My BIL constantly tells my wife I’m the whitest puertorican in the world. It’s become an inside joke in the family. It’s a good thing I’m not a butthurt liberal or I’d have too sue him :tooth:
    A few months back I read an article online written by a commentator for one of the mainstream liberal rag newspapers. For some reason he researched the percentage of known illegal aliens from all Latin American countries. He was amazed that he did not find evidence of a single illegal alien from Puerto Rico! I thought he was kidding but then realized he was serious. The ignorance of main stream media obviously knows no bounds! LOL
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,694 Senior Member
    Our token liberal would claim that it would have happened regardless of who was president.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Our token liberal would claim that it would have happened regardless of who was president.
    The S&P went up 175% in 8 years under Obama. That's a better record than Reagan and only behind Clinton as the best performance in my lifetime. For the record GW Bush was -40%. Maybe Trump can maintain his current success over the next 8 years and match the great performance Obama and Clinton gave us. My retirement portfolio hopes he can!

Since you love charts and graphs...
    http://www.macrotrends.net/2482/sp500-performance-by-president
    -DoctorWho
    The S&P went up 175% in 8 years under Obama. That's a better record than Reagan and only behind Clinton as the best performance in my lifetime. For the record GW Bush was -40%. Maybe Trump can maintain his current success over the next 8 years and match the great performance Obama and Clinton gave us. My retirement portfolio hopes he can!

Since you love charts and graphs...
    http://www.macrotrends.net/2482/sp500-performance-by-president

Everything that I Google talks about increases in the S&P 500 over eight years of Obama and nothing about just the first year or about the Dow for that matter. This appears to be more of your apples to oranges spin. How about you try to compare the two on even terms? And your link doesn't work. Wambli might be able to help you out with that.
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    Everything that I Google talks about increases in the S&P 500 over eight years of Obama and nothing about just the first year or about the Dow for that matter. This appears to be more of your apples to oranges spin. How about you try to compare the two on even terms? And your link doesn't work. Wambli might be able to help you out with that.
    Works for me. For the first 11 months Obama was +35% Trump +16%. Admittedly this only goes since inauguration so Trump loses a bit of the gains from after the election. If you actually care you can find any S&P chart and do your own calculations. Not that hard.
    -DoctorWho
    I'm not going to research that, I'll take your word for it but what about the Dow?