Home Main Category General Firearms

Poll: Which scope for the stated application.

JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior MemberPosts: 6,536 Senior Member
Rifle:

16” barrel
1:7 twist
Utilizing 77gr OTM ammo

Intent:

Coyote hunting
200-600 yard shooting

I’m looking at the Vortex PST Gen 2 series:

2-10 FFP
3-15 FFP

Any opinions?
Failed to load the poll.
“There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers

Replies

• JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    3-15 all the way for that application.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    If you intend to shoot over 400 yards I recommend the 3-15 power. However, that's with my nearly 70 year old eyes. You might get by with 10 power, but I like higher power for those longer ranges, even years back with younger eyes.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    I'm not that big of a scope guy so I didn't vote.
    I am curious though at how often you'd expect to be taking even a 3-4 yard poke at one?
    Thinking that may factor in some ?
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,748 Senior Member
    I voted 3-15. Coyotes aren't that big, and the extra magnification could certainly come in handy. If you hunt on real hot days, mirage might be a problem at the higher magnifications, but you can always turn it down. And, the difference between 2x and 3x at close range seems negligible to me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Unless it's CQB, always go for the most magnification.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 23,531 Senior Member
    With no other differing features between the two other than magnification.......3-15x.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    And, the difference between 2x and 3x at close range seems negligible to me.
    And to me also
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• JasonMPDJasonMPD Senior Member Posts: 6,536 Senior Member
    Weatherby wrote: »
    I'm not that big of a scope guy so I didn't vote.
    I am curious though at how often you'd expect to be taking even a 3-4 yard poke at one?
    Thinking that may factor in some ?

Coyote hunting isn’t expected to be outside 200-300. However, I do have access to ranges out to 600 for practicing fundamentals and gathering drop data.
    “There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.” – Will Rogers
    Zee wrote: »
    With no other differing features between the two other than magnification.......3-15x.

Correct, no other differing features.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    And for free: Receive an OPMOD Vortex StrikeFire Red Dot Sight With Purchase of Select Vortex Optics ($239.00 Value) with the scope from Optics Planet (maybe other places too?)

https://www.opticsplanet.com/vortex-viper-pst-gen-ii-3-15x44-riflescope-black.html

Can't beat that with a stick.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • LinefinderLinefinder Moderator Posts: 6,767 Senior Member
    3-15X.

Anything else would be silly.

Mike
    "Walking away seems to be a lost art form."
    N454casull
  • Farm Boy DeuceFarm Boy Deuce Senior Member Posts: 6,083 Senior Member
    3-15X, that extra power on the top may very well come in handy to find Mr. Wiley in the scope.
    I am afraid we forget sometime that the basic and simple things brings us the most pleasure.
    Dad 5-31-13
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    In real life shots at coyotes are often running shots. Field of view will be too limited to use 15x most of the time.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
    Durwood wrote: »
    In real life shots at coyotes are often running shots. Field of view will be too limited to use 15x most of the time.

Just because it has 15x doesn’t mean I’ll take shots on 15x. Anything above 8x or so is mostly for identifying targets. I’ll dial back down for the FOV I want when taking a shot at whatever range it ends up being.
    JasonMPD wrote: »
    Just because it has 15x doesn’t mean I’ll take shots on 15x. Anything above 8x or so is mostly for identifying targets. I’ll dial back down for the FOV I want when taking a shot at whatever range it ends up being.

This. Absolutely this.

Mike
    N454casull
    Dupe.
    N454casull
  • jaywaptijaywapti Senior Member Posts: 4,931 Senior Member
    On the low end not much difference, even if you only use 8x to shoot , for IDing the more power the better.

JAY
    THE DEFINITION OF GUN CONTROL IS HITTING THE TARGET WITH YOUR FIRST SHOT
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,759 Senior Member
    I have had a LOT of short range pop-ups when I was focusing out there at a couple hundred yards with the optics cranked up.....finally decided to pretty much leave it ,at a lower setting most of the time. Seem to have plenty of time to mess with the scope when one hangs up way out there, not so much when one pops out of of the grass 20 yards out....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,703 Senior Member
    For the 2oz weight difference, 1.5" or so OAL difference, and $50 MSRP difference, go with the 3-15.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    I would choose 15x for no other reason except range shooting, for which your round count will far exceed what you will shoot when coyote hunting. You don't have to use it, but you can if you want. More options are always good. I have a 6-18x40 on my varmint AR, and I never use the 18x except when sighting in or using it as a spotting scope. It stays on 6x unless I have enough time to tinker with it before a shot.
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    Zee wrote: »

This was my thought too.... i want higher power usually, but it's an awfully short varmint rifle!? If the 3-15 is much larger/Longer than the otehr I would stay with the smaller scope or make a real varmint rifle and go 20" Bull barreled
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
    This was my thought too.... i want higher power usually, but it's an awfully short varmint rifle!? If the 3-15 is much larger/Longer than the otehr I would stay with the smaller scope or make a real varmint rifle and go 20" Bull barreled

This rifle is like an extension of my body at this point. I don’t dare change it. I also pack out to places I hunt, so the gun configuration is good for that. And the suppressor on the end would make a 20” barrel a bit of a chore.
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    :agree:
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man