Home Main Category General Firearms

What do I need to upgrade on a Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press Kit?

Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior MemberPosts: 714 Senior Member
I purchased one of these this week. What else should I get to supplement/upgrade whats in there? Do you still buy dies by specific caliber? Please educate me. Thanks in advance.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/749997/hornady-lock-n-load-classic-single-stage-press-kit

Replies

• breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,490 Senior Member
    Imperial Sizing Wax or Hornday Unique Lube. Ditch the OneShot Case Lube.

Get more bushings.

Offhand that's all I can think of.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Definitely need cartridge specific dies. Lots of opportunity to buy different components to make the process faster or more accurate.

Perhaps an auto powder dispenser? RCBS is running a good rebate now.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    Need a good micrometer. Brass trimmer.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,861 Senior Member
    Cheetoh734 wrote: »
    Do you still buy dies by specific caliber? Please educate me. Thanks in advance.
    Yes, for the most part each cartridge requires a specific set of dies.
    A few of the exceptions, are 38/357mag, 40S&W/10mm and 44spcl/mag
    Those can be loaded with the same set of dies, adjusted for the appropriate case you're using.

Someone makes a set of "spacers" (washers in reality) that you can use to automatically adjust the dies. You set them up for the shorter case, then put the spacer in when loading the longer one)

Edited to add: forgot the "lock-n-load" part. the spacers won't work with them. If you're going to have to remove the dies from the bushings to install the spacers, might as well just adjust the dies
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Also get a set of calipers. Digital or with a standard dial are fine. You can get a decent set from Lowe's or Home Depot.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Cheetoh734Cheetoh734 Senior Member Posts: 714 Senior Member
    Thanks guys, I am trying to order dies.

For 7mm Mag, .308 , 7mm-08 , .338 Win Mag, 45-70 , 30-30 etc are these the right ones?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011077269/hornady-custom-grade-new-dimension-2-die-set

For Pistol are these right?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165183386/hornady-lock-n-load-pistol-bullet-feeder-bullet-feeding-die

Thanks again guys...
    Thanks guys, I am trying to order dies.

For 7mm Mag, .308 , 7mm-08 , .338 Win Mag, 45-70 , 30-30 etc are these the right ones?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011077269/hornady-custom-grade-new-dimension-2-die-set

For Pistol are these right?
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165183386/hornady-lock-n-load-pistol-bullet-feeder-bullet-feeding-die

Thanks again guys...

Yes on the rifle dies

No on the pistol
    Something like these
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011338768/rcbs-carbide-3-die-set
    these
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165122900/hornady-custom-grade-new-dimension-nitride-3-die-set

or these
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1165218482/hornady-custom-grade-new-dimension-nitride-3-die-set-with-taper-crimp

The taper crimp is needed for autoloading cartridges (9mm, 40S&W 10mm, 45ACP etc) since they headspace on the case mouth

and just because you bought a Hornady press, you are not required to use Hornady dies
    ANY standard 7/8x14 dies (MOST dies) will work in it

edited to add: pretty much any straight sided case (handgun or 45-70) is going to need a 3+ die set. The third die is an expander die so you can start the bullet. You'll crush most of your cases if you don't expand a straight case to accept the bullet
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

Thanks Again.

Ordering now. Really appreciate the help fellas.
    Thanks Again.

Ordering now. Really appreciate the help fellas.

Can't speak for the others...but my pleasure.

I enjoy helping others get addicted to reloading :tooth:

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 1,780 Senior Member
    Everybody with good points...mine is study the manual, and maybe a case puller kit! I've had to pull quite a few cases over the years and they help a lot. A package of extra pins for your decapping/resizing die.

Never be in a hurry. Always take your time.

JMHO
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain
  • sakodudesakodude Senior Member Posts: 3,824 Senior Member
    Lots of bushings... to utilize the lock and load feature properly requires a bushing for each die in a set. Rifle dies, 2 bushings per set. Pistol dies, 3 bushings per set.
    Adjust and lock down each die in it's bushing then you remove the assembly(bushing +die) when you need to switch to the next die. next time you use them they are pre set and ready to go.
    Sako
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    Sounds like you need a good reloading book. Since you bought Hornadays already, by theirs. Informative and uses their equipment as a reference in the tutorials.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,291 Senior Member
    Along with what Knitepoet said about belling the case mouths for straight walled cases, don't overdo the belling part. You want just enough bell in the case for the bullet to start in without interference from the case mouth; bullet should sit in the case mouth without touching the edge of the case mouth. Putting too much bell in the case mouth will cause two things; the cases will split at the case mouth way earlier in the case life, and the excessive bell on the mouth will hang up in the crimp die, and probably crush the case.
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Sounds like you need a good reloading book. Since you bought Hornadays already, by theirs. Informative and uses their equipment as a reference in the tutorials.
    What he referenced has the Hornady manual included.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,484 Senior Member
    What he referenced has the Hornady manual included.

Oh. Read the book, good stuff in it.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Oh. Read the book, good stuff in it.
    Yep. Lee and Lyman also have good manuals if you want other references.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
    Will do. I hope you will be patient because I'm sure I will be picking your collective brains quite a bit.
  • kansashunterkansashunter Senior Member Posts: 1,785 Senior Member
    You are going to need shell holders.
  • Troy800Troy800 New Member Posts: 25 New Member
    Get the loading manual and read it, read it again and when your done read it one more time. Alot to know tho reload safely. It is alot of fun and very addictive. Im sure there are alot of reloaders on site that love talking reloading and willing to help but on the forum you will not get the comprehensive guide you need in one post. Read the manual, take notes on things you dont understand and come back with specific questions.

Set of dies. And shell holder. I would start off with one cartridge you enjoy shooting while you learn.
    Micrometer
    Case trimmer. You can probably get a few loads in before you need this but need a micrometer to verify.
    Lots of other nice to have stuff but that is for the next thread.

Good luck and please ask if you are unsure about something.
    I ASSuME, you're planning on getting your 500 free bullets? (+$14.95 S&H)

https://www.hornady.com/corporate/promotions/get-loaded-2017

Edited to add: and you can get 100 more for each set of Hornady dies you purchase (+$6.95 S&H)

• shootbrownelkshootbrownelk Senior Member Posts: 2,035 Senior Member
    Yep. Lee and Lyman also have good manuals if you want other references.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

Exactly Breamfisher, everybody needs more than one loading manual...I have a shelf full.
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    You will accumulate quite a diverse stockpile of brands over the years for dies and reloading equipment. Mine goes from Lee to Redding and Dillon in presses and I've had RCBS and Lyman in the past. With an assortment of dies/accessories including RCBS/Hornady/Redding/Forester and Lee.

Don't discount Lee dies, they work good and the FCD (Factory Crimp Die) and shell holder/dipper in the deluxe sets is hard to beat.

The pisser is even though most dies will work in any standard press, there are some proprietary parts for presses and priming tools/trimmers etc etc... and so forth that only accept their parts.

I've been reloading over 30 years and still find it very rewarding and a good hobby, if not a necessity for certain calibers and/or cost savings between reloading and factory ammo.

In general, rule of thumb is you can save 50% over quality factory ammo even buying good jacketed bullets. Save more buying or casting your own lead (I don't). Besides being able to load them for accuracy and the power level you and your gun like best (safely and within reason).

Enjoy.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
    knitepoet wrote: »
    I ASSuME, you're planning on getting your 500 free bullets? (+$14.95 S&H)

https://www.hornady.com/corporate/promotions/get-loaded-2017

Edited to add: and you can get 100 more for each set of Hornady dies you purchase (+$6.95 S&H)

Yes sir...Rebate in hand.
    Yes sir...Rebate in hand.
    Figured as much, but also thought it better to double check than you losing out on your $0.03 and $0.07 bullets