Home Main Category General Firearms

Opinions, please

RugerFanRugerFan Senior MemberPosts: 2,254 Senior Member
I've been wanting, I think, a Ruger LCP to carry in my pocket. PSA has new ones for $169.99. Well, I walked in my local lgs and he has a used 1 for $175 with a pocket holster, no extra mag . It's on consignment so no sales tax. The gun is in like new condition. So, for $200 I can get the gun and a box of low recoil ammo. I should probably go get it shouldn't I?

Replies

  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    I've had one for a few years now and am still happy with it. A few folks on here complain about the trigger and sights but it's not a match pistol and in spite of failing eyesight, I can still swat an 8" plate at 15yds all day long with mine so it's not that bad. I've got several other guns that I can carry but to walk up to the road to get the paper or mail, or to run into town for something, I can just shove it into my pocket and go. I've got a techniclip on mine and I can hook it on my pocket like a knife and I have less bulk in my pocket than with a holster. I also have a spare 10 round magazine for it and a 15 round magazine is also available but it's kinda long and if I really wanted more firepower, I would carry something else. I've also never had any failures with mine nor has my significant other who has a habit of limp wristing handguns. I have two other .380's that she can stovepipe from limpwristing but she can't get the LCP to hiccup.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    I think, (may be wrong, though) they have improved them, especially the triggers on the newer ones...???
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    Fisheadgib wrote: »
    I've had one for a few years now and am still happy with it. A few folks on here complain about the trigger and sights but it's not a match pistol and in spite of failing eyesight, I can still swat an 8" plate at 15yds all day long with mine so it's not that bad. I've got several other guns that I can carry but to walk up to the road to get the paper or mail, or to run into town for something, I can just shove it into my pocket and go. I've got a techniclip on mine and I can hook it on my pocket like a knife and I have less bulk in my pocket than with a holster. I also have a spare 10 round magazine for it and a 15 round magazine is also available but it's kinda long and if I really wanted more firepower, I would carry something else. I've also never had any failures with mine nor has my significant other who has a habit of limp wristing handguns. I have two other .380's that she can stovepipe from limpwristing but she can't get the LCP to hiccup.

    Thanks for the reply. I want something I can carry when I have to have my shirttail tucked. Plus something I can just put in my pocket and go.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    I think, (may be wrong, though) they have improved them, especially the triggers on the newer ones...???

    There is an LCP II. It's a good bit more expensive
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,797 Senior Member
    RugerFan wrote: »
    There is an LCP II. It's a good bit more expensive

    Incidentally, I have the basic model. I have shot the LCP ll and it is a good bit nicer but as I said before, it's not intended as a target pistol.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
    .
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    IMO it's worth the extra.

    Can't afford it. Yes, I know, what's my life worth.................

    Money's tight right now.
  • horselipshorselips Senior Member Posts: 3,628 Senior Member
    Believe it or not, and lots here won't, the Taurus PT 738 TCP is a far better pocket .380 than the first generation Ruger LCP. The Taurus is ergonomically far superior with much less recoil, much better control, and an infinitely better trigger (just shoot both and see for yourself), just as reliable, just as accurate, it's also American made, and has a slide hold open on last shot which the Ruger lacks. Feeds FMJ and HP with equal aplomb. I've also seen them on sale for as low as $149 brand new. It's the best kept secret in pocket guns.

    Don't take my word for it - go rent one, borrow one, whatever, and shoot it. Become a believer.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    Thanks for all of the replies. I went back to get it after lunch and he was closed. I'll try again tomorrow.
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,929 Senior Member
    Sold my LCP. I never could get used to the trigger on it. Snappy little thing if you shoot a bunch of rounds through it at the range.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    I have one that I gave $300 for, several years ago. It's a decent quality 'true' pocket pistol. I rarely carry it because I believe that the .380 is not going to be effective unless fired accurately, and it takes a lot of practice to fire an LCP accurately. I consider it to be a 'point-blank' weapon...the last resort before fighting with a club or a knife. Still, it does function OK, and that is a fair price.
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,251 Senior Member
    I carry a 380 AMT all the time.
    It has the billfold holster......I like that because in the summer with light clothes on no one sees that I have it on.
    It's my get me the hell out of here gun.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Few friends of mine own the .380 LCPs and they're quite happy with its performance as pocket pistols. If you can live with the awful trigger pull (Although they're surprisingly accurate despite all the other "flaws"), go for it.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    Thanks. The shop isn't open today either. He normally closes.on Wednesday since he's open Saturdays.

    Just saw that Academy as the LCP II for $289. Unfortunately the sale ends 12/5. I'll probably get some cash for Christmas so I could have added that to what I'm prepared to spend for this other one. Oh well.
  • JKPJKP Senior Member Posts: 2,231 Senior Member
    I've seen a lot better prices than that for the LCP2. Look around online.

    I handled the LCP2. It's considerably better than the original - much better trigger.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    Get the LCP II it's waaaay better than the original and yes used to own the original. If you truly can't afford the LCP II get the Taurus 738 it's way nicer than the standard LCP.
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
  • Squawk BoxSquawk Box New Member Posts: 69 Member
    Yeah, you probably should get it.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    I've about made up my mind to wait until after Christmas and see if i can find a LCP II on sale somewhere.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    You'll be much happier with it.

    I hope so. Otherwise I'm blaming you!:jester:
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,254 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    Wife blames me for everything anyway, I'm used to it. :up:

    Ha! I hear ya!
Sign In or Register to comment.
Magazine Cover

GET THE MAGAZINE Subscribe & Save

Temporary Price Reduction

SUBSCRIBE NOW

Give a Gift   |   Subscriber Services

PREVIEW THIS MONTH'S ISSUE

GET THE NEWSLETTER Join the List and Never Miss a Thing.

Get the top Guns & Ammo stories delivered right to your inbox every week.

Advertisement