Home Main Category Hunting

300 Bobcat Out oops 300 Blk out scores again

Jeff in TXJeff in TX Senior MemberPosts: 2,521 Senior Member
Was out hunting Sunday evening. Had a young bobcat cross down by the feeder into the woods. I didn't have my caller so I let some squeals using my mouth. I'm not sure if it worked. I caught him moving in the woods about 90 yards out. I picked a small opening and once he moved in I tripped the trigger on the 208 gr subsonic round on the 300 Blk Out. The kitty jumped and rolled and ran off. Got down and started tracking. I had tracked him about 50 yards and caught movement, he was running dragging his back leg. Lesson learned about leading a critter with a subsonic round...need more of a lead! I lead him and shot again. He rolled and dragged himself to the edge of the woods. I put a third shot into behind his shoulder. I walked over and he died shortly after the third shot. My second shot hit behind his front shoulder as did the final shot. I was surprised at his will to live with too good shots behind the front shoulder.

Still trying to figure out the Blk Out with subsonic rounds. It was dead calm outside and interestingly my other hunters heard the swish/swosh of the three subsonic rounds over a 1/4 mile away.

300 Blk Out draws second blood!

kitty.jpg
Distance is not an issue, but the wind can make it interesting!

John 3: 1-21

Replies

• timctimc Senior Member Posts: 6,684 Senior Member
    Ice healthy looking cat, good shooting.
    timc - formerly known as timc on the last G&A forum and timc on the G&A forum before that and the G&A forum before that.....
    AKA: Former Founding Member
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    He’s got a good coat on him. Make a rug!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    Nice shootin'!
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Six-Gun wrote: »
    He’s got a good coat on him. Make a rug!

Yeah, but the rug would be full of holes, LOL!!!

This must be the year of the Bob Cat. I saw the biggest bob cat I've ever seen cross the sendero about 20 feet in front of my blind last week. He was, like Jeff's, also a beautiful animal. He was so big I thought he was a cougar at first, until I saw his ears and his coloration. His back would come up to about mid thigh on me or about 28-30 inches I would guess. Maybe he just looked that big at the moment, but he was BIG! for a bobcat.

You may be thinking, "Why didn't you shoot it?" I've shot them and if I really thought just me shooting one or two bob cats would make a difference here I would have. But in my situation it doesn't seem to me I could make a difference in their numbers. There have been so many bob cats on the ranch I hunt on since I've been hunting there that I don't think me shooting the 2 or 3 I see a year would make a dent in their numbers and I'm not going to hurt my chances of seeing a deer by shooting one. Our deer stay hidden in the brush so much so that my shots are limited.

Anyway, thanks for posting Jeff, that's a beautiful animal. And at that range, a moving bob cat is really hard to hit with a rifle. To even wing it in the leg was an accomplishment.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • shooter10mmshooter10mm Member Posts: 215 Member
    Even suppressed. if it's dead calm with no ambient noise you can hear the 300blk out at 1/4 mile. We killed a coyote the other night and my buddy text me asking if he needed to come help drag the hog he thought we killed.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you do not take!"
    "As long as there's Lead in the air there's hope!
    " -- Ralph Adkinson(Daddy) The original Marlboro Man
  • SpkSpk Senior Member Posts: 4,766 Senior Member
    Jeff in TX wrote: »

Still trying to figure out the Blk Out with subsonic rounds. It was dead calm outside and interestingly my other hunters heard the swish/swosh of the three subsonic rounds over a 1/4 mile away.

300 Blk Out draws second blood!

It's the spin. You can hear the buzz as they go by. Calculate it out and you'll see. Without a muzzle blast it's very hard to pinpoint a source though.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience -- Mark Twain
    How easy it is to make people believe a lie, and [how] hard it is to undo that work again! -- Mark Twain

• bellcatbellcat Senior Member Posts: 2,040 Senior Member
    Love it! Want to get a bobcat someday.
    "Kindness is the language the deaf can hear and the blind can see." Mark Twain