Home Main Category General Firearms

Almost bought a Henry .45 Colt today

Big ChiefBig Chief Senior MemberPosts: 32,995 Senior Member
A Henry. Marked "Clearance" at Walmart, more like a Roll Back........I think it was $623 ......... from $660 or so, had a friend I called check going prices and that ain't no great big bargain.

I had the clerk call a manager. She said they were going to incrementally mark it down until it sells............I wanted a better deal like that Marlin 45-70 fer $300, I got a real clearance price there.

Check your Walmarts maybe they priced them right. I was pretty sure when they punched the numbers into the computer it would come way down.

It was this model, steel carbine .45 Colt

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/361
It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!

Replies

• Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    If the price was right, I could live with the tube fed Henry....a loading gate for anything bigger than a .22 just seems more natural to me, anyhow.
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    It would have been more economical to feed and have less recoil than the old mule hammer.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • DurwoodDurwood Senior Member Posts: 970 Senior Member
    I too can live with the tube loading, it's the excessive length of pull that turns me off...
    You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to your own facts:guns:
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 12,417 Senior Member
    Problem is I have to go into a Walmart to keep checking the price....
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
    They might tell you if you call, good luck getting good info over the phone.......last time when I got that 45-70 for $300 bucks (plus a $50 rebate from Marlin) the price tag didn't reflect the clearance price nor did it when they used the hand held scanner, they had to punch the numbers from the tag into the register to reflect the clearance price.

I asked them to do that yesterday, they said they did, I'm not so sure if they did that right.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    If the price was right, I could live with the tube fed Henry....a loading gate for anything bigger than a .22 just seems more natural to me, anyhow.

Tube loading for centerfire cartridges is the main reason why I don't like that line of rifles made by Henry. Contrary to this, I like their rimfire line A LOT; my H001 is so accurate with iron sights that it's not even fair to hunt with it anymore!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    The original Henry was tube fed. Just sayin...

Yep. However they improved the lever rifles over time and a side loading gate became the norm.
  • AntonioAntonio Senior Member Posts: 2,647 Senior Member
    Indeed; handled one from a friend of mine and the loading gate on the '66 was, along with the wood handguard a HUGE improvement.
    Not sayin I couldn't live with a Henry..........I don't plan to take up Cowboy shootin games or being in any predicament/life or death situation where I'd need a quick(er) reload using a lever rifle anyhow.

Who knows I may buy one in the future, probably a .22 LR or whatever IF the price is right.

From all I've heard or read they are really good/well made lever rifles.