Just one reason why I love the USA

samzheresamzhere BannedPosts: 10,923 Senior Member
A year ago I'd asked my girlfriend what she wanted for Valentine's Day. I figured a nice dress or other clothes, but "What I'd like is a nice 9mm pistol to carry. The .380 you got me is okay but I want something heavier. But small and lighter than the .45s you let me shoot."

So we went to the LGS and she picked out a Kahr P9, which she finds is just right, like the 3rd bowl of porridge for Goldilocks.

I've already talked of this, how happy it makes me to be in a relationship with a true Southern gai.

Well, over the holidays, she flew up to the Indianapolis area to visit her brother, sister, and family (all of them, like her, relocated from Arkansas and Alabama). She flew back yesterday afternoon (1/5) so we stopped by Rudyard's pub on the way home for a relaxing beer, some food, and talk.

Everything went fine on the Christmas and NY visit but my girlfriend was especially pleased when her brother, who's a minister with his own small church (Baptist) took her to the gun range so she could fire his AR15 and other guns.

So here you have my gun-owning girlfriend, visiting her family, and to her, the high point of the visit was getting to shoot her preacher brother's AR15, and it was the first thing she told me, photos to soon follow.

I thought "Wow am I lucky to have such a wonderful 'gun nut' girlfriend" and "What a great country the USA is!"

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx

Replies

• shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,378 Senior Member
    Wow, and no banks were robbed and no-one got shot! :tooth:

As much as I can complain about the weather, hearing about football all the time, etc... One thing I love about Texas is that most people are at least open minded to the shooting sports, particularly women.
    - I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
    "It's far easier to start out learning to be precise and then speeding up, than it is having never "mastered" the weapon, and trying to be precise." - Dan C
  • SlanteyedshootistSlanteyedshootist Senior Member Posts: 3,947 Senior Member
    Valentine's Day is around the corner. Better start looking for a good deal on an AR Sam.
    The answer to 1984 is 1776
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Valentine's Day is around the corner. Better start looking for a good deal on an AR Sam.

Naw. Present will be her airfare to her daughter's wedding in Fla. We already talked. Another thing about her, she's a pretty balanced and logical person. What she sees in me and why she hangs around with me is however a definite character flaw. One that I'm glad she has.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read. - Groucho Marx
  • samzheresamzhere Banned Posts: 10,923 Senior Member
    Wow, and no banks were robbed and no-one got shot! :tooth:

As much as I can complain about the weather, hearing about football all the time, etc... One thing I love about Texas is that most people are at least open minded to the shooting sports, particularly women.

There are plenty of fine ladies all over but I especially like Texas gals. No, my GF wasn't native but like me, "I wasn't born in Texas but I got here as soon as I could."

Her bro and sis have pretty much given up trying to get her to move to be with them. "Hell no, I'm in Texas till they plant me."

About shooting, I've rarely seen a woman who didn't enjoy shooting, so long as they had the right introduction. Many of course grew up owning guns. But I've also found some were, for lack of a better word, "gunshy" because in the past, some hero-macho boyfriend took her shooting, gave her little if any coaching or teaching, and then ridiculed her if she fumbled or missed, all the while he was hovering over her, pushy.

Same for pool playing. Girls love to play pool but many had a rude intro to the game "All my boyfriend did was stand there and laugh at me when I missed." Who wouldn't stay away after that?

Thankfully my GF grew up in a sensible gun-owning family.

• DoctorWhoDoctorWho Senior Member Posts: 9,496 Senior Member
    :that:
    "There is some evil in all of us, Doctor, even you, the Valeyard is an amalgamation of the darker sides of your nature, somewhere between your twelfth and final incarnation, and I may say, you do not improve with age. Founding member of the G&A forum since 1996