Home Main Category Hunting

tell me how this happens!

stanstan New MemberPosts: 10 New Member
working with a guy who had a very bad wound, ask what happen,he said he was crossing a field walking back to his truck,had on orange,field about waist high, a guy throws up a scoped 370,from 150 yrds, thought he was a deer,put a bullet in his side,my uncle is duck hunting years ago, walking in the water to his blind, a guy shoots in the bushes thinking the wake is ducks,he lives.i just can"nt understand this.

Replies

• stanstan New Member Posts: 10 New Member
    to make a 370 caliber hit the key after the 2 then 70 and don,t proof read
  • shushshush Senior Member Posts: 6,259 Senior Member
    Or press Edit Post. Works for me.:tooth:
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Lack of education,experience morals judgement

Abundance of Ego stupidity
  • ojrojr Senior Member Posts: 1,068 Senior Member
    Stupidity,
    and I'm sorry about your workmate and your uncle.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,788 Senior Member
    Buck fever and duck fever?

The truth is that lots of folks love the idea of hunting, but have no clue how to do it, and won't devote the time and energy to learning. Combine that with the likelihood that they never had gun safety presented to them in a way that they could not ignore, and you get knuckleheads running around the woods screwing up everybody else's hunt, and blowing pieces off the wrong things.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,119 Senior Member
    One of the mai points they harp on in hunter education is that you never shoot at movement without verifying what it is that's causing it. I missed a deer a couple of seasons ago because I head rustling in the grass and thought it could be my buddy's dad coming to tell me he shot something. Moments earlier I heard a shot fairly close to my position. When I looked up, it wasn't my buddy's dad, it was the deer that he missed running right at me! Too late at that point, but at least I wasn't pointing my gun at my buddy's dad emerging from the grass. The fact that some people don't take the time to ID their target is the one real scare I have every time I go into the public woods.
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    About the only time I get out on a public-access hunt is the annual opening-day dove shoot the Tennessee Wildlife Agency sponsors in my area. They buy up a big cornfield, or maybe a soybean/millet hayfield, and harvest most of it, leaving enough residue to attract the migrating doves. The area is very well patrolled, and the TWRA officers simply don't tolerate any stupidity. Otherwise, I'm on my own property, where access is tightly controlled to include people I know will be safe and abide by common-sense hunting ethics.
    Jerry
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,631 Senior Member
    Even people with hunting experience shoot people, it is a constant vigil for the shooter.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    I duck hunt public land,4 years ago we actually had guys shooting at each other across the pond. One side shot at some teal that were 300' high, the other side started heckling, and it escalated from there. Nobody got hurt, outside effective range, but I don't think they knew that. I hate sky-busting but to shoot at somebody over it? And I now carry a pistol inside my waders.
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    He was damn lucky the guy was using a .270.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • BufordBuford Senior Member Posts: 6,708 Senior Member
    This is one of the main reasons I don't hunt here in CA.
    Just look at the flowers Lizzie, just look at the flowers.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,631 Senior Member
    Uncle BS wrote: »
    I duck hunt public land,4 years ago we actually had guys shooting at each other across the pond. One side shot at some teal that were 300' high, the other side started heckling, and it escalated from there. Nobody got hurt, outside effective range, but I don't think they knew that. I hate sky-busting but to shoot at somebody over it? And I now carry a pistol inside my waders.
    Do what you feel is right, but, if a warden sees that pistol and it is not loaded with non toxic approved ammo, you will get cited and probably the guns in your possession taken. There is no approved non toxic pistol ammo for duck hunting.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • Uncle BSUncle BS Member Posts: 380 Member
    NN wrote: »
    Do what you feel is right, but, if a warden sees that pistol and it is not loaded with non toxic approved ammo, you will get cited and probably the guns in your possession taken. There is no approved non toxic pistol ammo for duck hunting.

I know it is illegal, but I pack it pretty deep. I usually know the game wardens on sight, and i'm not a trouble maker so our conversations are usually limited to "Did you do any good today"?
    cpj wrote: »
    Wow. I never knew I enjoyed grilled foreskin.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 7,738 Senior Member
    Buford wrote: »
    He was damn lucky the guy was using a .270.

I knew this was coming. I'm just surprised it took this many replies.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.