RE: .243 Caliber 105 Gr. VLD Bullet - Woman Killed Elk At 688 Yards!

13»

Replies

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    Yep. I wouldn't take a shot past 200 yds. on an elk or any deer-sized and larger critter, and would never bowhunt one, but that's because I don't have the experience, and at this time such a thing would be unethical. On the other hand, get me some practice and experience, and I would probably reconsider.

I don't like making ethics into legislation.

Me neither, because you can't legislate morality. Ethics should be in your heart and mind, not in some code book. Because if it isn't in your heart and mind, you're probably going to find a way around it.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,516 Senior Member
    I don't have a problem with someone making a 688 yard shot on a elk, if they know what they are doing, and have the right rig for the job.
    I have shot elk just under that distance and then, this past fall at 29 yards with a bow.

My problem with what was reported by the OP is that it promotes the mindset that extreme longe range shooting at game animals is not as hard as it really is. I've been hunting big game animals for nearly 40 years, in country where "long range" is the norm, made some long shots, but there's no way in this world I'm going to try a 688 yard shot on an elk. I don't have the skill, equipment or desire to do it. Period.

I applaud those of you who can reliably make such shots, but there are very few of us who can do it on a regular basis. I also think that when you get to the point where you are comfortable with such shots, you have become a shooter more so than a hunter, which begs yet another question.

What is more satisfying? The hunt or the shot? In my humble opinion, there is no right or wrong answer to that question. It is, though, one that should be considered when you head into the woods.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,516 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    No one should pay a large amount of money to a guide to kill an animal because they are too lazy to scout them.

Really? Based one what?

I'm going to start a separate thread to deal with this topic. I am interested in what others think about this.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • Ernie BishopErnie Bishop Senior Member Posts: 6,981 Senior Member
    For me the answer is, "yes."
    It depends on the way I choose to hunt that day.
    Sometimes I like close range, others days, what most would call normal, and then on other occasions, long.
    They each have something to offer, and I enjoy all of them.
    JerryBobCo wrote: »
    What is more satisfying? The hunt or the shot? In my humble opinion, there is no right or wrong answer to that question. It is, though, one that should be considered when you head into the woods.
    Ernie

"The Un-Tactical"
  • FreezerFreezer Senior Member Posts: 1,491 Senior Member
    Well siad BPsniper!
    I like Elmer Keith; I married his daughter :wink:
  • FisheadgibFisheadgib Senior Member Posts: 5,616 Senior Member
    Not wanting to stir up the whole "power of the .243" topic but this is a little ironic to me in that I've made my longest shot at a deer with my .243 (only 185yds) and have scored my biggest rack with my .243 but I don't care to use it for deer hunting.
    snake284 wrote: »
    For my point of view, cpj is a lot like me
  • ZombieMaxZombieMax New Member Posts: 11 New Member
    I went thought a phase where the longer the shot the more I enjoyed it. It was all about knowing the tools at hand and making them perform. It was about being able to do it better than anyone else and showing skills at a master craftsman level.

Next I did it with pistols.

Next I did it with compound bows.

Next I hunted only with long bow and tried to see how little distance I could put between me the the critters. Very up close and personal. The enjoyment I got from this was much the same as those I received from long range hunting. To get to a point you can sneak up on a deer and shoot it less then five feet away.

To me the greater skill level and knowledge is needed for ELR hunting. I went full circle and now and back to shooting distant targets. As with everything knowing your limits and the limits of your equipment. When I read about hits past 2700 yards I get excited. Reading about two or three hits in a row at that distance is behond world class. That only a few people can do. Hitting big critters at a 1000 yards...This is becoming everyday for thousands of people that enjoy the game and put in their time. Schools are turning these folks out by the dozens as it the military.

As to the 243 at 700 yards? People that use it know what it will do. I think the 243 got a bad rap early on due to poor bullet performance when the caliber was first introduced. today it is one of the medium range (out to 800 yards) go to choices for the long range crowd. With good bullet selection it flat out gets the job done.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,832 Senior Member
    No doubt about that.

I figure there will be folks who will frown upon about anything that:
    They don't understand
    Can't do
    Didn't do themselves
    Didn't think of it themselves
    Someone told them it was wrong
    Etc., etc., etc.
    Some people just frown at things for general purposes, whether it is right or wrong.

Ernie I could write a book on my feelings on this. You hit it on the head though. Some people's reasoning against doing some things is motivated by their pride. They know they can't do it and rather than say, "I'm not capable of that." which would be an admission they aren't as good at something as someone else, they cover themselves with a blanket "Thou Shalt Not" thinking this will change something. Well it doesnt' change a thing and only a few gullible people will not see through the guise.

However, I still am very cautious about proporting extra long range shooting at game animals as ethical because these same gullible individuals will be the first ones to go out and try to kill Bambie at 800 yards with their bargain rifle with a 6 pound trigger and $49 scope. So ok, I'm sometimes guilty of peeing on your parade.

But I have recently realized that anytime you shoot at a game animal there's a risk you're going to wound it and lose it whether at 25, 50, 75, 100, or 600 yards. Even if you are very proficient at long range shooting a gust of wind can move a shot 5, 10. 20 inches no matter who you are. But the more people like you and a few others here on the forum that I meet that possess the skills necessary to pull a long shot off on a regular basis, the more I realize that people with your skills have about the same chance of killing a deer at 600 yards as I do at 200 because that wind that can blow a shot off target is not something that is guaranteed to happen anymore than me jerking a shot and hitting a deer in the guts.. Therefore, I have no problem with you attempting it. I would definitely have a problem with me doing it and moreso with the multitudes of Joe Public because I know he doesn't possess the knowledge, much less the skill to pull it off.

So from here on out, if you hear me sounding negative about long range shots at game, that's where I'm coming from and just know that it is not directed at you or people like you. It is being directed at the average Joe Public that shoots his rifle once a year to sight it in and goes hunting. This is the guy that catches my wrath. He's been watching too many outdoor shows.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
13»