Home Main Category Hunting

Flintlock seasons opens tommorow

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 8,183 Senior Member
I am trying to talk myself into a morning hunt, but its 19 right now and windy as heck. At the beginning of hunting hours (1/2 hr pre sunup) it is supposed to be a balmy 11 (just about -12C) before the wind.

We will see.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    Those temps begin to hurt as the years accumulate.

But if afternoon temps softened the snow, the refreeze will permit hearing the deer approach.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 8,183 Senior Member
    early wrote: »
    Those temps begin to hurt as the years accumulate.

But if afternoon temps softened the snow, the refreeze will permit hearing the deer approach.
    We got up to 22 today and only have a dusting. Still, a coating makes it eaiser to see them.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    I am trying to talk myself into a morning hunt, but its 19 right now and windy as heck. At the beginning of hunting hours (1/2 hr pre sunup) it is supposed to be a balmy 11 (just about -12C) before the wind.

We will see.

We don't have a specific Flintlock season, just Muzzle Loading and I'm just about ready. It will begin the day after regular rifle season.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    cpj wrote: »
    "We will see"?

I'm thinking the only thing I'd be seeing would be the back of my eyelids. 11 degrees will freeze the testicles of a tin and copper primate.

OK I confess, I'm a Wimp Hunter. Anything much cooler than 50 Degree is about my limit.
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 12,241 Senior Member
    Nut up and go. How many opening days do you get a year?
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 9,594 Senior Member
    "We will see"?

I'm thinking the only thing I'd be seeing would be the back of my eyelids. 11 degrees will freeze the testicles of a tin and copper primate.

It's muzzle loading season Chris. You keep your balls warm with greased patches.
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    Did 2 hrs, that was enough, IAW the news, wind chill is -1 (-18C) It was OK until the wind picked up again. When I brought the rifle in the entire thing frosted.
    I'll go out this afternoon.
  • Six-GunSix-Gun Senior Member Posts: 8,155 Senior Member
    We’re seeing brutal cold like that here. High of 8 degrees and a low of -3 before wind chill. When it gets that cold, I’ll do what you did: hit the woods for about 2 hours during peak or known movement times. Good on you for getting out with your flinter. I wish I could be back in PA this year!
    Accuracy: because white space between bullet holes drives me insane.
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,919 Senior Member
    I LOVE hunting in the cold.
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • ZeeZee Senior Member Posts: 27,919 Senior Member
    Yes but you're used to hunting in shorts and barefoot. Possibly even a loincloth.

Does a Kilt count?
    "To Hell with efficiency, it's performance we want!" - Elmer Keith
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,444 Senior Member
    Zee wrote: »
    Does a Kilt count?

Depends if wearing it as a real kilt is worn, or wearing a skirt
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5

So do I. However as the years pass, "cold" becomes warmer. When it gets to the point where it isnt fun, screw it.
  • zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 25,179 Senior Member
    Kilt, skirt, same same.

Yep! :up:
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
    )O(
  • Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 12,444 Senior Member
    Kilt, skirt, same same.

If a kilt is not worn regimental, it is a skirt
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • WeatherbyWeatherby Senior Member Posts: 4,953 Senior Member
    Cold and snow I dog them
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,392 Senior Member

:that::agree:

You can always put more layers on to combat the cold.............but there is a limit to how many layers you can take off when hunting in the heat.......If you dont believe me, just ask Buffy to post up pics of him hunting in Florida.
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    It was almost 6 this morning when I got up. I had a good nap afterward.
  • orchidmanorchidman Senior Member Posts: 8,392 Senior Member
    That's easy. Don't hunt in heat.

Says the guy who has to hunt in the cold because of regulations.....................:tooth:
    Still enjoying the trip of a lifetime and making the best of what I have.....
    The difference is that at extreme cold temps, the muzzleloader stays warm. Its the highest its been all week at 17 today. I am having a extreme case of "f it" this year. If it holds here and the wind doesnt pick up, I am going out this afternoon.
    Heat wave, 19F. Went out and saw a young doe and 3 little ones. Not that hungry so they walked. A nice older doe or a buck I will take, but it takes as much effort to clean a little one as it does a big one. We shall see what tomorrow brings.
  • gunwalkergunwalker Member Posts: 479 Member
    Did 2 hrs, that was enough, IAW the news, wind chill is -1 (-18C) It was OK until the wind picked up again. When I brought the rifle in the entire thing frosted.
    I'll go out this afternoon.

if you know that you are going out again, can you safely leave the rifle outside?
    We do not view the world as it is, but as we perceive it to be.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 18,226 Senior Member
    I used to do that after plugging the barrel and touch hole.....never had an issue....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Heat wave, 19F. Went out and saw a young doe and 3 little ones. Not that hungry so they walked. A nice older doe or a buck I will take, but it takes as much effort to clean a little one as it does a big one. We shall see what tomorrow brings.
    I

This is similar to my sob story. I didn't go out once for ML season. It began here Jan. 8th, the day after regular rifle season closed. It was too cold for my butt even in the 20s and 30s. Also, it was raining on the few days between the coldest temps.

I just wasn't mad enough at the deer this year to brave those elements. Then when it did warm and dry up enough to interest me, I had to go to my aunts funeral. So it just wasn't Gods plan.
    Yes but you're used to hunting in shorts and barefoot. Possibly even a loincloth.

Only during SPEAR season. :jester:
  • ar15julesar15jules New Member Posts: 17 New Member
    Glad to see some fellow PA hunters here. The six feet of snow we received over Christmas put a damper on me making it out this season. I enjoy the flintlock season the most and didn't make it out a single time. Grrrr.... I will have to wait until next year!
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,428 Senior Member
    Get into competition black powder shooting- - - -they do it all year. Some of the most expensive hamburger I ever ate was "won" at the Alvin York shoot in March, for about 10 years. I think it worked out to about 50 bucks a bite!
    Jerry

When I was on a lease north of Uvalde Texas in 1987-1989, some of the people on the lease would kid with me telling me to let them grow up before I shot them. We had a five deer limit back then and I was killing at least two nubber bucks a season. Man, those are fine eating. We still had a pile of larger deer. That was a great lease. I often ask my self, WHY Did I ever let it go?