Home Main Category Clubhouse

Back from skiing

VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior MemberPosts: 7,756 Senior Member
Went to Okemo with the wife and some friends Sun (21 Jan) to Thurs (25 Jan) I had a good time and skied a lot even the weather wasnt so great the first two days.
We arrived Sun afternoon, for me it was every bit of 9 1/2 hrs and I had enough seat time. Check in was at 5PM so we all met at a ski shop because one of the group realized he had a pants blow out. He got his, and his wife shopped the rest of the time till we had to check in. I made lasagna so when we moved into the condo, that went in the oven and dinner was set.
Up at 0730, made breakfast and got ready to go. It was a long walk at 0900 :up:

Mon it was a bit warm and the weather was meh. It was a very light rain/fog. Still got some skiing in. On lifts open to close.
Tues was rain. Real rain. I looked at my gear, it all said WATERPROOF and I talked one other into it. We skied for about 2 hours, My stuff didnt lie, except for my butt sitting on the lift got a little damp.
Wed was great. Okemo is known for grooming and snow making, and they lived up to that. I cant think of anywhere else that could make runs like that after a day of heavy rain. I stuck with the slower group for 2 runs then broke off. I think I did 16 runs on Wed with the majority on Quantum Leap. https://www.okemo.com/mountain-info/trail-maps/interactive-map/ For me, it was about perfect. It was just hard enough that I had to work at it, but easy enough that I could work on me and still have fun.

Thurs we had a half day, weather was perfect, runs were good. I skied over to the Gore side again and they were blowing snow and had been on the intermediate Lower limelight, We were the second pair on it. It was terrible. :applause: It was thick and the powder was powder. Ran that 3 times then went back to join the ladies to finish out the morning. Checked out at noon.
I honestly think I skied as good as I even have technically this trip. Not as hard charging, but cleaner. Cleaner is easier on the knees so its more better.
It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.

Replies

• Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,387 Senior Member
    Never down hill skied but used to love CC skiing. There are a lot of good trails in Wisconsin, but haven't seen real snow in about 20 years, and don't miss it!

But, it's one of the best ways to make winter fun. Nothing better than strapping some boards on your feet and shushing!!
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 4,317 Senior Member
    Not much snow over there now Al so you didn't miss a thing . ( but winter isn't over yet ! )
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Glad you had a good trip and didn't break anything.
    Support your local Scouts!
  • CHIRO1989CHIRO1989 Senior Member Posts: 13,857 Senior Member
    Did you follow the tracks into the woods and swipe some underage alcohol stash? Hope your knees and hips still like you next week, sounds like fun.
    I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn away from their ways and live. Eze 33:11
  • VarmintmistVarmintmist Senior Member Posts: 7,756 Senior Member
    Wore two knee braces and made a pre emptive Alieve strike for the cold sunny Wednesday. Okemo caters to a bit older crowd mostly. I dont head off into the woods unless I really mess up and I dont think there would be anything better than what I had in my flask.
    It's boring, and your lack of creativity knows no bounds.