Home Main Category Clubhouse

2018 Grammy Awards

shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior MemberPosts: 5,921 Senior Member
I, like most here, didn't stay up and watch the Grammy Awards. However I did check the results this morning. Some thoughts:

I'm glad to see Chris Stapleton show a strong showing in the country categories. I only discovered his work in the past few months and, IMO, he's one of the few performers putting out good country music right now. For those of you who dislike a lot of the new "hick-hop" or pop-influenced country, you owe it to yourself to check out Stapleton.

Aside from that, I would have liked to see Logic's song "1-800-273-8255" take song of the year instead of Bruno Mars' song (out of the options). Oh well.

The one or two performances I saw were so-so, and of course there was some political commentary that I feel was unneeded and serves mainly to be further divisive in an already polarized political climate. Oh well.

I was also glad to see a lot of nominees that I actually enjoy listening to on the list in numerous categories. It's easier to be interested in such things when you're familiar with some of the contenders.
- I am a rifleman with a poorly chosen screen name. -
"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski

Replies

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 11,960 Senior Member
    Didn't watch it, but just watched the highlights. Hillary Clinton bashing a sitting President, that beat her in an election, really has no place at so called music awards.

Who really cares what the average music performer thinks about politics? They are entertainers and most I dont consider good ones, who cares about political views?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,060 Senior Member
    Was on here, I sat by the fireplace and played solitaire on the laptop
    that is how interested
    I was.
  • Big Al1Big Al1 Senior Member Posts: 8,388 Senior Member
    Award shows and the Pro Bowl were at the top of my do not watch list!
    OTOH I'm glad an actual performer, and somebody you like, got some recognition. I'm not a CW fan, but I'll have to check out this Stapleton guy!
  • Big ChiefBig Chief Senior Member Posts: 32,995 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Was on here, I sat by the fireplace and played solitaire on the laptop
    that is how interested
    I was.

Did NN or Ned win :uhm: :tooth:
    It's only true if it's on this forum where opinions are facts and facts are opinions
    Words of wisdom from Big Chief: Flush twice, it's a long way to the Mess Hall
    I'd rather have my sister work in a whorehouse than own another Taurus!
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 13,758 Senior Member
    Check out "The Steeldrivers." It's the band Stapleton fronted from 2008 to 2010. Kinda modernish bluegrass.
    Overkill is underrated.
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,921 Senior Member
    Diver43 wrote: »
    Didn't watch it, but just watched the highlights. Hillary Clinton bashing a sitting President, that beat her in an election, really has no place at so called music awards.

HRCs part in that skit was inappropriate and petty at best. Completely improper for someone who presumably wants to remain in politics (but unfortunately will not spell out her "death sentence"). If McCain or Romney had done the same thing about Obama the media would be up in arms.
    "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast, and speed is the economy of motion" - Scott Jedlinski
  • shotgunshooter3shotgunshooter3 Senior Member Posts: 5,921 Senior Member
    Big Al1 wrote: »
    I'm not a CW fan, but I'll have to check out this Stapleton guy!

I highly recommend it. In a genre that has become overrun with autotune and repetitive lyrics, he brings some genuine talent and creativity into the mix. The only other CW act I bother paying mind to is Zac Brown Band, and SOMETIMES Lady Antebellum.
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 905 Senior Member
    I highly recommend it. In a genre that has become overrun with autotune and repetitive lyrics, he brings some genuine talent and creativity into the mix. The only other CW act I bother paying mind to is Zac Brown Band, and SOMETIMES Lady Antebellum.

:agree: Chris Stapleton is a recently discovered favourite, as is Jason Isbell, I really like Sturgill Simpson too, has a Waylon Jennings vibe whilst doing his own thing.
  • bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,813 Senior Member
    I don't care what show biz people think about each other, much less their juvenile political inclinations. They all think they are artists, so they can't be too bright.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    SIGgal wrote: »
    I don't watch the Grammy's, CMA awards shows or the like. Way too political now and I want to scratch all their eyes out lol. I love Chris Stapleton and Zac Brown, but will avoid those shows if I can. Especially when only one female wins an award :(

It ain't like the old days when there was Kitty Wells, Tammy Why Not, Loretta Lynn, and Patsy Cline and many more singing. Oh yeah, that's why, those I named could actually sing and you never heard a word about politics come out their mouths. I see Dolly has gone stupid and bad mouth's Trump every time she gets on stage. I quit listening to her when she left Porter Wagoner's show. They sounded good together but by herself Dolly never really turned my crank.

I will make an effort to listen to Chris Stapleton. Then again, as I've said before on here about my Country Music tastes, I'm way too old fashion to live in the Country Music world today. I remember KWKH Shreveport and the Nashville station that I can't remember the letter designation right now. I remember what I grew up on and I can't seem to make the turn. I'm the same with rock n Roll, Pop and classic music. I am stuck in the past but love it there. I wish there was an oldies channel on the radio around here, but I think they burned people out, well all cept me. I could listen to Niel Sedaka, Bobby Vee, and Pat Boone all day and re run it at night.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 25,060 Senior Member
    Big Chief wrote: »
    Did NN or Ned win :uhm: :tooth:

I'm winning 30%
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,593 Senior Member
    You beat me to it. I was gonna mention Jason and Sturgill. I got to see Jason Isbell 3-4 yrs ago just before he took off. It was a good concert.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 8,227 Senior Member
    I don't remember the last "artist" awards show I watched, whether it be Grammy's, Emmy's, Oscars or whatever. I quit watching them even before they all thought they had to share their thoughts on politics. They just don't interest me.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • earlyearly Senior Member Posts: 4,950 Senior Member
    I never watch that stuff, but it was all over the news thismorning. It don't bother me that they spout off. Don't bother me that they assume anyone cares. It is irritating that they assume everyone cares.
    My thoughts are generally clear. My typing, not so much.
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,593 Senior Member
    The only category I was remotely interested 8n was Blues. A guy from Mississippi was nominated. He lost to the Rolling Stones
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,930 Senior Member
    I didn't watch it or the highlights. Like others have said, it's all to political now. Might have to google and see what killary did now.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,429 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Always fascinates me that a bunch of clueless high school dropout pot heads that got lucky with their looks all of a sudden feel entitled to tell everyone how to live because they are “popular”...

:that::that::that: and again :that:!!! You hit my feelings on the head Wambli!!!

Nothing to add there!
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • MarvinMarvin Member Posts: 126 Member
    I didn’t watch it and laughed a little when I heard on the news it Had the lowest viewer rating of any Grammy show ever. They questioned if it had gotten too political. Ya think?!
  • rberglofrberglof Senior Member Posts: 2,851 Senior Member
    I was to busy to watch, was watching my brass being cleaned in the vibrating cleaner.
    Higher entertainment value and was actually doing something of value.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,855 Senior Member
    DUt8hX9VMAAyKFz.jpg
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Make_My_DayMake_My_Day Senior Member Posts: 7,892 Senior Member
    I couldn't give less of a crap about these self-preening hollyweed or musician types. I recognize talent when I see it or hear it, but their "award" shows are completely boring, and when they start with the politics as well, then they can stick it in their backsides.
    JOE MCCARTHY WAS RIGHT:
    THE DEMOCRATS ARE THE NEW COMMUNISTS!
  • bobbyrlf3bobbyrlf3 Senior Member Posts: 2,574 Senior Member
    Don't watch; haven't for years. Don't care who wins. Haven't for years. Used to be a fun show to watch. Hasn't been for years.
    Knowledge is essential to living freely and fully; understanding gives knowledge purpose and strength; wisdom is combining the two and applying them appropriately in words and actions.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 17,872 Senior Member
    Nope...don't have the time to watch a bunch of people who basically contribute squat to society stand around patting each other on the back at their annual mutual admiration society. SpongeBob SquarePants would be preferable viewing.....
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • roadkingroadking Senior Member Posts: 3,056 Senior Member
    Haven't watched any awards show since grade school...
    Support your local Scouts!
  • hawk18hawk18 Senior Member Posts: 742 Senior Member
    "Chris Stapleton is a recently discovered favourite, as is Jason Isbell, I really like Sturgill Simpson too, has a Waylon Jennings vibe whilst doing his own thing."

As an experiment today, I put Pandora on the tv and did a search for Jason Isbel. It created a playlist of him and others similar. Then I sat back and read a book the rest of the day. Very good music. As a extra, every time I heard a song that I noticed the voice, when I turned and checked the screen, it was Chris Stapleton. A pretty good day doing nothing.

Hawk
  • waipapa13waipapa13 Senior Member Posts: 905 Senior Member
    hawk18 wrote: »
    As an experiment today, I put Pandora on the tv and did a search for Jason Isbel. It created a playlist of him and others similar. Then I sat back and read a book the rest of the day. Very good music. As a extra, every time I heard a song that I noticed the voice, when I turned and checked the screen, it was Chris Stapleton. A pretty good day doing nothing.

Hawk

:cool2: Sounds similar to me on the Sunday just gone, I'd bought an offset pit smoker and kept half an eye on that while listening to a mix of much the same as you.