Trey Gowdy to leave Congress

terminator012terminator012 Senior MemberPosts: 3,351 Senior Member
He says he will be leaving and will not run for re-election. Some say he is leaving because he is tired of not being able to get anything done. I was hoping he would finally be in on the convictions of the corrupt in Washington. Guess not.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/31/rep-trey-gowdy-r-s-c-announces-will-not-seek-re-election-in-november.html

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 17,282 Senior Member
    Annoying auto-play video alert.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,351 Senior Member
    What that mean??
  • TeachTeach Senior Member Posts: 18,141 Senior Member
    The rumor mill is cranking out the idea that he's shoo-in for a federal judge position that's coming open soon. Sounds like a step up the ladder toward a Supreme Court appointment in a few years, maybe?
    Jerry
    Hide and wail in terror, Eloi- - - -We Morlocks are on the hunt!
    ASK-HOLE Someone who asks for advice and always does something opposite
  • BigslugBigslug Senior Member Posts: 6,738 Senior Member
    Lots of people have tried unsuccessfully to find the solution to the problem that is Washington. Trey Gowdy's just the latest. I've heard Kim Jong Un has some interesting ideas. . .:bang:
    WWJMBD?

"Nothing is safe from stupid." - Zee
    What that mean??

Exactly that. A video auto-plays. A *HUGE* no-no in website design - its been proven over and over and over again that the FASTEST way to drive traffic AWAY from a website is to have auto-play NOISE of any kind. A lot of people will either immediate leave a website with auto play, or will avoid it if they know about it - hence my warning.

Not your fault, its just piss-poor website design - the W3 goes on about it to little avail...

"If you get it and didn't work for it, someone else worked for it and didn't get it..."
  • Old RonOld Ron Senior Member Posts: 2,809 Senior Member
    He says he will be leaving and will not run for re-election. Some say he is leaving because he is tired of not being able to get anything done. I was hoping he would finally be in on the convictions of the corrupt in Washington. Guess not.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/01/31/rep-trey-gowdy-r-s-c-announces-will-not-seek-re-election-in-november.html

Just guessing here but I think a lot of rats are leaving Washington before they are investigated & convicted of something.
  • 104RFAST104RFAST Senior Member Posts: 1,237 Senior Member
    Don't really care, has anybody gone to jail yet. All for show IMO
  • terminator012terminator012 Senior Member Posts: 3,351 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »
    Just guessing here but I think a lot of rats are leaving Washington before they are investigated & convicted of something.

True but I thought he would be the one prosecuting them.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,207 Senior Member
    Old Ron wrote: »

Did you get that from the democrats' talking points? That's what I heard on dem say this morning about Gowdy.

I was thinking he might be angling for the AG spot when Trump finally gets his belly full of Sessions. The judgeship thing hadn't occurred to me, though, until I read it here.

Regardless, I think he's one of the good guys, and not part of the swamp.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 23,609 Senior Member
    Don't know why he's really leaving, but maybe a judgeship or the position of AG is in the cards on the QT.

And let's be honest here. Congress is a toothless watchdog when it comes to bringing criminals in the government to heel. They don't have the power required to do anything but point it out and make a lot of noise about it. Like a toothless watch dog barking at the burglar that's robbing the homeowner blind. I guess Trey is tired of pointing that out in all those open and closed hearings, and nothing coming from it.
    I may be a Deplorable, but at least I'm not a Liberal!!!

• snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 21,176 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    The rumor mill is cranking out the idea that he's shoo-in for a federal judge position that's coming open soon. Sounds like a step up the ladder toward a Supreme Court appointment in a few years, maybe?
    Jerry

Bingo! Thats what I'm thinking. Maybe a biggie. Justice Kennedy is thinking of stepping down or retiring from SCOTUS. That would be right up Gowdy's ally.

Gowdy in my opinion isn't in it for the glory, he's a mover and a shaker. This would give him a chance to really make a difference which I think is a great move for this country. I really think trump thinks the same. I would love it!!! Gowdy is the best next to Trump. This country can't lose with people like them both in power.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,399 Senior Member
    It would be more Trump's style to skip the federal judge and put him straight on the SC as soon as people realize that Ginsberg has been dead for about 6 months.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,771 Senior Member
    Fun fact: Article 3 doesn't list qualifications for Supreme Court Justices.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
  • JerryBobCoJerryBobCo Senior Member Posts: 6,207 Senior Member
    Fun fact: Article 3 doesn't list qualifications for Supreme Court Justices.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk

I guess that explains Ginsberg still being on the bench.
    Jerry

Gun control laws make about as much sense as taking ex-lax to cure a cough.
    The confirmation hearings would be interesting, to say the least!
    :yesno:
    Jerry
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,442 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Exactly that. A video auto-plays. A *HUGE* no-no in website design - its been proven over and over and over again that the FASTEST way to drive traffic AWAY from a website is to have auto-play NOISE of any kind. A lot of people will either immediate leave a website with auto play, or will avoid it if they know about it - hence my warning.

Not your fault, its just piss-poor website design - the W3 goes on about it to little avail...
    That is why I only turn the sound on when I want to listen to something.
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    That is why I only turn the sound on when I want to listen to something.

Yea, its annoying to have to be constantly fiddling with sound, but sometimes its the least bad option!

While they're waiting for Ginsburg to croak- - - -why not put Gowdy in as Attorney General? There would be so many dummycraps pooping their pants they could go into the fertilizer business!
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,888 Senior Member
    Teach wrote: »
    While they're waiting for Ginsburg to croak- - - -why not put Gowdy in as Attorney General? There would be so many dummycraps pooping their pants "Depends" would have to put on another shift
    FIFY :rotflmao:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• bisleybisley Senior Member Posts: 10,117 Senior Member
    There is no reason I know of that would prevent a sitting Congressman from being appointed to AG or as a federal judge, so it wouldn't be necessary for him to resign, in advance. Of course, he might resign so as not to be participating in something that he might end up having to recuse himself for, later, I guess.

He may simply be tired of swimming upstream, and wants to make some money. Honest Congressmen don't make that much money, and I suspect that he may be one. My choice would be for FBI director, since he has a federal prosecutor background. Wray is certainly not impressing his boss much, right now, nor me.
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,888 Senior Member
    bisley wrote: »
    There is no reason I know of that would prevent a sitting Congressman from being appointed to AG or as a federal judge,
    Hey, Sessions was a sitting congress-critter before becoming AG
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• DanChamberlainDanChamberlain Senior Member Posts: 3,170 Senior Member
    All fart and no turd. The donkey/pony show has done nothing to fix the problems. Just sound bites and a chance to be on the evening news.

Congress evidently has no power. Why can people refuse to testify? If the public's business is involved, they testify or get fired. There is no redress. If you are a public employee and you are subpoenaed to testify and you don't show, you're fired. If you show and take the fifth, you're fired. No one got fired. Why? Trump could have ordered them fired the second he took the oath.

Gowdy and Sessions are part of the swamp. I used to think he would make a difference. Just sound bites. I'd like to think there's some grand scheme afoot that will bring the castle tumbling down, but I think they're just biding their time.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there's an attempt on the President's life. They hate him! He's exposed both the Democrats and Republicans as two heads of the same snake.

If trump is trusting the same Secret Service that was protecting Obama... he's in deep schist.
    It's a source of great pride for me, that when my name is googled, one finds book titles and not mug shots. Daniel C. Chamberlain
  • CaliFFLCaliFFL Senior Member Posts: 4,283 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    Yea, its annoying to have to be constantly fiddling with sound, but sometimes its the least bad option!

Sounds a lot like voting...
    The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.

Ayn Rand