Training class-need OWB holster/belt recommendations

USUFBUSUFB Senior MemberPosts: 830 Senior Member
I’m taking a carbine/pistol training course at a local shooting range next weekend. I’ve only ever carried IWB and need recommendations for an OWB holster for my XD40, 4” bbl. I’m leaning towards a slide/loop holster over a paddle style because I find the former more comfortable, but I’m not opposed to a paddle.

The range does not allow Blackhawk Serpa holsters, so I’ve been looking at Blade Tech and Safariland. For this holster I’d prefer polymer/Kydex. What other brands should I consider?

Thanks for the help.
Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
NRA Life Member

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,144 Senior Member
    Fobus paddle
    I have a need for speed
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 17,546 Senior Member
    Yanqui Slide
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.

• NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,245 Senior Member
    Look at the Blackhawk SPORTSTER STANDARD for under $20. It offers the same basic fit and such as the SERPA but without the Lock Release that has raised so many eyebrows. It comes with a belt or peddle setup and has enough of a retention screw for class work. It requires no break in and easy to get use to.

https://smile.amazon.com/BLACKHAWK-Sportster-415649BK-R-Concealment-Holster/dp/B007OU4DIO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1517966828&sr=8-1&keywords=blackhawk%2Bsportster%2Bstandard%2Bcqc%2Bconcealment%2Bholster&th=1&psc=1
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • cpjcpj Senior Member Posts: 37,965 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    Fobus paddle

The absolute LAST holster I'd ever recommend.
    But if one chooses a Fobus, make sure it's actually attached to belt, don't rely on the paddle. Because you'll draw not only your gun, but the entire holster.
    "I'm here for the guns, hunting, and skirt wearing men."
    Zee
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,199 Senior Member
    cpj wrote: »
    But if one chooses a Fobus, make sure it's actually attached to belt, don't rely on the paddle. Because you'll draw not only your gun, but the entire holster.

Never had that happen and I occationally use one for USPSA and speed steel for a Glock 22 which requires you to draw. Mine has screws to tighten it but no matter what the tension, the holster stays put.
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    Email the instructor. He shopuld be able to give some guidance, and at LEAST tell you things to avoid. A lot of instructors refuse to allow SERPA holsters on thier ranges.

Personally, I would say to get a Blade-tech.
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,966 Senior Member
    bullsi1911 wrote: »
    Email the instructor. He shopuld be able to give some guidance, and at LEAST tell you things to avoid. A lot of instructors refuse to allow SERPA holsters on thier ranges.

Personally, I would say to get a Blade-tech.

I like CompTac holsters,but you don't have enough time to order one...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,680 Senior Member
    Blade-Tech
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
  • BAMAAKBAMAAK Senior Member Posts: 4,199 Senior Member
    I have a blade tech hanging on my USPSA belt and an IWB comp-tech for my 45 shield. Love them both.

Cabela's Carry's blade techs if you have one near you
    "He only earns his freedom and his life Who takes them every day by storm."

-- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, German writer and politician
    cpj wrote: »

I never had that happen either; but, have read how Fobus holster miss treat you "imoit:
    I have a need for speed
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 9,302 Senior Member
    Oh, and for a belt- Wilderness Instructor Belt: http://www.thewilderness.com/belts/original-instructor-belt/

Ive been wearing one for years. Very durable and makes carrying VERY easy
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • Elk creekElk creek Senior Member Posts: 5,362 Senior Member
    X2 on The Wilderness belt, great stuff.
    Aim higher, or get a bigger gun.
    NN wrote: »
    I never had that happen either; but, have read how Fobus holster miss treat you "imoit:
    As many guns as you've broken, I figured you'd be the one to have holster problems too.
    Zee
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    Never had that happen and I occationally use one for USPSA and speed steel for a Glock 22 which requires you to draw. Mine has screws to tighten it but no matter what the tension, the holster stays put.

My experiences with them were with a Ruger sp101 (the worst offender) and one for a Walther P22. My have got bad ones. Don't matter, twice burned....choose another.
    Zee
  • Troy800Troy800 New Member Posts: 15 New Member
    I use the the blackhawck cqc. Also have a bladetech drop offset im pretty fond of. I use a Midway USA compitition belt.
  • USUFBUSUFB Senior Member Posts: 830 Senior Member
    Thanks for the input. Y'all have given me some good options.
    BAMAAK wrote: »
    I have a blade tech hanging on my USPSA belt and an IWB comp-tech for my 45 shield. Love them both.

Cabela's Carry's blade techs if you have one near you

There's one not too far from me and I have a gift card. I'll go check out their selection.
    Sometimes, I lie awake in bed at night wondering "Why the heck can't I fall asleep?"
    NRA Life Member