Digital driver’s license - your ID in your smartphone

12346»

Replies

• zorbazorba Senior Member Posts: 16,583 Senior Member
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Negative Ghost Rider (movie reference :tooth:). For the last two months I have been working exclusively out of my new 256Gb iPad Pro 10.5" with a removable Logi keyboard (connected via magnetic port and it's truly connected, not a wireless keyboard, and it's not a battery draining device) that weighs less a whole 2 lbs.

The pattern is full... Like I've been saying, any tablet is better than any fone - its larger. I can see the screen - albeit still too small but larger than a fone, plus I don't have to talk on it. BTW, the surface keyboard isn't wireless either, but that's neither here nor there. Its about time Apple got onto the bandwagon of having a REAL keyboard available - but does it run OS X or IOS? I'll take Windows over IOS or Android - not because I like Windows (I don't), but it at least lets you run real software, not crippled spyware/adware "Apps". Of course, Microsoft is following Apple's lead into the "devicification" of "regular computers" - I'm having to increasingly put up with de-contented software, poorer graphics, and lower contrast in software from ALL camps. The Apple iPhoto/Photos fiasco is but one example, there are plenty more...

I'm with you about wireless peripherals, yet another stupid idea in search of a problem. 99% of all the trouble calls I'd get involving wireless keyboards/mice had to do with dead batteries. Completely dumb in a desktop environment - but people love fads. There might be some call for them with a laptop or tablet, but even there - like you - I'd rather be plugged into the main system.
    -Zorba, "The Veiled Male"

My Karma ran over your Dogma!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    I dictate most of my emails and texts on my phone. Voice recognition rocks.

It does when it works - I'm still waiting for the AI backend to make it truly useful. But we're getting there. I've been playing with voice recognition since the very late 1970s, fascinating stuff.

• tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 22,995 Senior Member
    zorba wrote: »
    It does when it works - I'm still waiting for the AI backend to make it truly useful. But we're getting there. I've been playing with voice recognition since the very late 1970s, fascinating stuff.

:spittingcoffee: A heavy Southern accent makes that voice recognition software so confused it doesn't know whether it's washin' or hangin' out! :rotflmao:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

tennmike wrote: »
    :spittingcoffee: A heavy Southern accent makes that voice recognition software so confused it doesn't know whether it's washin' or hangin' out! :rotflmao:

Yea, its not "quite there" as yet, but can be "good enough" under the right circumstances. I've found that getting pissed at the AI when you're on the fone with "whatever" customer service results in more errors! :roll2:

Jermanator wrote: »
    Not really. If my wife is at the grocery store and I suddenly realize that we need eggs, with a quick glance at her phone, it just saved us another trip to the store that day. A text to my son telling him I will pick him up from school at such and such entrance at such and such time saves the effort from calling the school office, and giving them the message where they would run the note to his classroom and does not interfere with his class time because he can check my text message on break. I can text my sister a photo of the kids riding snowmobiles (like me and her did as kids) and it says a whole lot more than a phone call ever will. Like with work, I texted her the location of our deer camp and it was much more concise and accurate than my verbal directions ever would be. There are lots of personal ways to use that tool. It isn't limited to business.

And while I am working it is sometimes awkward for my wife to call me to ask when I will be home for dinner. While I love her very much and like to talk to her, texting back the number 6 after my meeting serves the purpose very well and allows me to keep working.

And the examples you gave are a far cry from someone shopping at Wallyworld while surfing the net or texting their friend about what somebody said to somebody else, and all the while running sllllooooowwwwlllllyyy down the center of the aisle blocking EVERYBODY! Are you telling me you've not noticed the mindless masses walking around with their faces bathed in the blue glow of their smartphones surfing the web, doing Facebook, texting their friend two people over, or some other mindless use all the while not having a clue where they're at or where they're going? If you are, then I don't believe you! :tooth:
    If a Liberal throws a hand grenade at you, pick it up, pull the pin, and throw it back at them.

• JermanatorJermanator Senior Member Posts: 14,181 Senior Member
    And the examples you gave are a far cry from someone shopping at Wallyworld while surfing the net or texting their friend about what somebody said to somebody else, and all the while running sllllooooowwwwlllllyyy down the center of the aisle blocking EVERYBODY! Are you telling me you've not noticed the mindless masses walking around with their faces bathed in the blue glow of their smartphones surfing the web, doing Facebook, texting their friend two people over, or some other mindless use all the while not having a clue where they're at or where they're going? If you are, then I don't believe you! :tooth:
    Idiots and rude people have been around since the first humans. Smart phones didn't create them.
  • NNNN Senior Member Posts: 23,145 Senior Member

I find Yankee speak also a problem for voice recognition and a faked slightly southern accent is best.
    This message has been deleted
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,971 Senior Member
    Idiots and rude people have been around since the first humans. Smart phones didn't create them.

Nope they didn't....they just made them more visible...
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Nope they didn't....they just made them more visible...
    Bonus! It makes them easier to avoid.

And there ya go!

• Diver43Diver43 Senior Member Posts: 7,881 Senior Member

The wife calls them cell phone zombies. They bump in people and stationary things, mumble and shuffle on, never looking up from their phone.

I like tech, but dont want my license on my phone
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
    Diver43 wrote: »
    I like tech, but dont want my license on my phone
    Ditto.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right."
    - More Maxims of Mark Twain

• sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,389 Senior Member
    orchidman wrote: »
    Going back to the original topic of having your D/L in your phone............

I wonder how many unjustified shootings will take place when a guy reaches for his pocket to get his cellphone out and 'presents' it to an LEO........??

( Surprised it took 3 pages for this scenario to be posted up)
    Pretty much the first scenario I thought of But I am slogging through all the comments before I add anything.
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,389 Senior Member
    That all goes to a lack of teaching folks how to be polite and think of others. Problems ain't the machine... it's the operator.

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    I agree. I don't have call waiting on my home phone. I would never use it because I consider it rude. If I call someone and they get another call they usually say "hold on a second". I'm fairly patient. I'll give them 30 of those then hang-up. If they called me I just hang-up.
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 13,971 Senior Member
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • breamfisherbreamfisher Senior Member Posts: 12,647 Senior Member
    iPhone... yep!

Sent from my SM-S907VL using Tapatalk
    Overkill is underrated.
  • Wambli SkaWambli Ska Moderator Posts: 26,694 Senior Member

Oh MAN!!! Where can I buy one of those?!?!?!?

attachment.php?attachmentid=11657&d=1518713003
    "Attack rapidly, ruthlessly, viciously, without rest, however tired and hungry you may be, the enemy will be more tired, more hungry. Keep punching." General George S. Patton
12346»