Home Main Category Hunting

Final harvest of the season- Axis

bullsi1911bullsi1911 ModeratorPosts: 11,005 Senior Member
Sunday morning was pretty much the last hunt of the season. I want to get out next weekend, but we are pretty much out of space in the freezer, and I think I'm just going to take the 3 year old out and 'hunt'- i.e. play in the blind for 10 minutes, then walk around, look at rocks, and laugh when he sees deer scat and cow pies and yells "POOP!"

This was the last animal I was able to harvest:

photo-763226.JPG

A smaller Axis doe. See, our lease is over-run with whitetail bucks. Of the bucks, is a LARGE population of them being 'less than optimal'.
But I was out of Buck tags. With the ratio being so out of whack, we did not want to take a doe unless it as really old and 'dry'.

So I sat in the blind on Sunday, and mostly just read a book. No biggie. Time in the woods is time in the woods.

Later, as me and my brother were on the way out, another one of the hunters said that there was a herd of axis back in the field. Lo and behold, AFTER we drove through, a herd of 10-12 axis does wandered out and were grazing near the tree line. I put all the camo back on, reloaded the rifle, and went after them. I worked back through the trees until I was about 40 yards from them, and one of the yearlings spotted me. I sat still as the stomped, and tried to figure out if she should bark (Axis 'bark', like a small dog, FYI) and run. Finally, the herd started crossing the field, and the yearling lost interest. By the time I made it to the tree line and had a clear shot, they were about 200 yards away and about to cross into a neighboring property.

I took a kneeling position with a Stoney Point monopod as a rest, lined up on the biggest doe that I had a clear shot on, and broke the shot. Connected just like I wanted to. She was slightly quartered away, so I lost some meat in the shoulder. But all in all- that was an excellent way to close hunting season.

Oh, and when we retrieved her, we found more examples of bad craft from other hunters. Over the last few weeks, 45er has taken two bucks that had been wounded buy other hunters. One shot in the hindquarters, and badly infected, and one shot in the foreleg and badly infected. He wasted his tags on deer he could not feed his family.

Well, this axis had another example:
headwound.jpg

Some jackwagon had skipped a bullet off this deer's forehead in the last few days. This one was not infected, so we were able to keep the meat.
To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
-Mikhail Kalashnikov

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,634 Senior Member
    Nice shooting
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,757 Senior Member
    Nice! What did you use? Details man! Details!
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • bullsi1911bullsi1911 Moderator Posts: 11,005 Senior Member
    Jayhawker wrote: »
    Nice! What did you use? Details man! Details!

NEF "Survivor" single shot .308 with a Leupold 3-9x40 firing a Winchester 150 Gr ballistic silvertip
    To make something simple is a thousand times more difficult than to make something complex.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • JayhawkerJayhawker Moderator Posts: 16,757 Senior Member
    certainly got the job done...:up:
    Sharps Model 1874 - "The rifle that made the west safe for Winchester"
  • jbohiojbohio Senior Member Posts: 5,569 Senior Member
    Those are neat looking deer. Nice work. How is it for table fare, compared to whitetail?

That's too bad about all the shot up deer. Drives me nuts whenever I run across that.
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    So...being an exotic, does that punch one of your tags if you shoot an axis?
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,387 Senior Member
    Axis deer are some of the best eating game animals. I've had it a few times and it beats white tail, and I love white tail. And no, it isn't counted against your white tail score. They are not really considered wild game........................ Yet. They aren't indigeonous to the area. Somebody imported them. Same with Sambar deer and Nilgai.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
    snake284 wrote: »
    Axis deer are some of the best eating game animals. I've had it a few times and it beats white tail, and I love white tail. .

It is generally more tender, and a deeper red meat. I like the flavor better than whitetail, and it makes some of the BEST chicken fried Venison you will ever try. Most of the venison you get at restaurants is Axis, and a LOT of it comes from the texas hill country.

Axis is considered a non-game animal, and treated like hogs. No season, no limits, and you can take them any way you want. No tags used.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
    BPsniper wrote: »
    Very cool! One day. One day. I WILL get me an Axis buck. That's one on my hit list.

This place used to be lousy with axis, and I have taken several bucks. One of the neighbors started trapping them a while ago to sell to restaurants, and this is the first herd I have seen in a long time.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • MileHighShooterMileHighShooter Senior Member Posts: 4,801 Senior Member
    Bullsi, we are DEFINITELY having a beer and a chat next time I'm down in your town ;)
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    Once again, please refrain from cutting short any baseless totally emotional arguments with facts. It leads to boring, completely objective conversations well beyond the comprehension ability of many.
    Sure. Send me an IM.
    -Mikhail Kalashnikov
  • knitepoetknitepoet Senior Member Posts: 20,851 Senior Member
    Nicely done Bullsi :worthy:
    Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates, Rule #37: There is no “overkill”. There is only “open fire” and “I need to reload”.