Home Main Category Second Amendment/Politics

Everytown Claims 18 School Shootings So Far In 2018

sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior MemberPosts: 1,933 Senior Member
Since we are only 6 weeks into 2018 that seemed incredible! I watch national news on TV and check it on the internet daily. The only 2018 school shootings I have seen reported is one Kentucky school shooting in January with two fatalities and the February 14th school shooting in Florida with 17 fatalities. Why were 16 school shootings not reported? The only recent mass shootings I remember being reported is Las Vegas, Nevada October 1st 2017 58 fatalities. Texas church November 5th 2017 26 fatalities, and Northern California November14th 2017 5 fatalities. The shooter could not access an elementary school and fired as many as 30 rounds at the building resulting in no injuries. Again, where are the 16 unreported school shootings in 2018? Could Everytown possibly be manipulating statistics to further their agenda? If they are please realize they are doing it entirely for the safety of our Children and Grandchildren! Barf!

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/02/16/florida-massacre-no-there-have-not-been-18-school-shootings-in-2018-heres-why-thats-all-wrong.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-there-havent-been-18-school-shooting-in-2018-that-number-is-flat-wrong/2018/02/15/65b6cf72-1264-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.22907adcd20b

Replies

• NNNN Senior Member Posts: 24,758 Senior Member
    details were spun for effect.

I read that the first one on 3 Jan was on school property of a school that was closed for 7 months---ie---- unused school
    and the guy shot himself.
    Shut up-----KAREN; OK Cynthia
  • NCFUBARNCFUBAR Senior Member Posts: 4,324 Senior Member
    Making stupid statements like “18 shootings in 2018” is so crazy that it makes gun owners not even think about working on solutions with these liberal idiots to the problems like Parkland. Common sense says doing one thing ... or even a couple things ... will not prevent future attacks. Layers of actions and changing ways are needed and these idiots think doing away with an instrument like an AR will keep a P0S from attacking but don’t think about he’ll use a pipe bomb, propane tank, truck, etc. They just want to scream about what they have been programmed to blame.
    “The further a society drifts from truth ... the more it will hate those who speak it."
    - George Orwell
  • sgtrock21sgtrock21 Senior Member Posts: 1,933 Senior Member
    NN wrote: »
    details were spun for effect.

I read that the first one on 3 Jan was on school property of a school that was closed for 7 months---ie---- unused school
    and the guy shot himself.
    That is correct. Another half truth. Technically there was a shot fired on school property. The school was abandoned but the property is still owned by the school district. The high school my much older brother graduated from in 1947 was torn down a couple years later and a department store was built on the property. I'm guessing if a shooting occurred at the store in the last 6 weeks it would be on Everytown's 2008 list! While I was typing, reports of 2 schools in Washington State being locked down today was reported on the evening news. A high school in Longview. A student overheard two others talking about a weapon one of them had at school and reported them. Police found an Airsoft pistol in a backpack and the two students were taken into custody. If the toy airgun had been "fired" would Everytown add it to the list? I'm thinking "You Betchum Red Ryder"! The other school was a college in Seattle. A report of shots fired! SWAT team found no evidence and determined it was possibly fireworks. Hmmm... If a 6 year old can be suspended 3 days for pointing an imaginary "finger gun" at a classmate could Everytown add imaginary "shots fired" at a college to their imaginary list? Makes perfect sense!!!
  • tennmiketennmike Senior Member Posts: 27,434 Senior Member
    A stupid teenager in MY county made a threat about shooting up a school and was promptly cuffed and stuffed in the back of a county deputy cruiser. And one at Ringgold, GA high school. Copycats coming out of the woodwork. 24 hour news cycle can't be helpful in this mess.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/37521886/arrest-made-in-threat-against-meigs-county-school

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/37517025/threat-made-on-social-media-lands-ringgold-hs-student-in-jail
      I refuse to answer that question on the grounds that I don't know the answer”
    ― Douglas Adams
  • RugerFanRugerFan Senior Member Posts: 2,346 Senior Member
    I read a USAToday article.that explained that. It was VERY critical of Every town and the media outlets that used that stat. Basically, if a gun was fired anywhere near a school they call it a school shooting. If I find it again I'll post a link.

The article did say there have been 6 school shootings so far this year.
    tennmike wrote: »
    A stupid teenager in MY county made a threat about shooting up a school and was promptly cuffed and stuffed in the back of a county deputy cruiser. And one at Ringgold, GA high school. Copycats coming out of the woodwork. 24 hour news cycle can't be helpful in this mess.

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/37521886/arrest-made-in-threat-against-meigs-county-school

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/37517025/threat-made-on-social-media-lands-ringgold-hs-student-in-jail
    I read the articles. Thanks. Fear is a powerful catalyst for exponentially increasing the effectiveness of propaganda!
    Wambli Ska wrote: »
    When under 21 drug dealing gangbangers shoot each other near a school it's a school shooting by children... :bang:
    Pre 2000 I checked the incredibly high number of firearm related deaths of "children" (9,000+ per year) and discovered the statistic was rigged by including 18 through 20 year olds! This morning it was reported Everytown rescinded the abandoned school parking lot suicide. I'm surprised. typically when caught lying they just make-up a new lie. I finally found a list of the 18 2018 "school shootings".

Feb. 14, 2018 - Parkland, Florida
    A 19-year-old former student entered Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School and opened fire, killing 17 and injuring multiple others. The school was put into lockdown. The incident has been ranked as one of the top 10 deadliest mass shootings in modern U.S. history.
    Jan. 23, 2018 - Benton, Kentucky
    A 15-year-old student brought a handgun to Marshall County High School and opened fire in the school's atrium, leaving two dead and 17 injured, the Associated Press reported.
    Jan. 31, 2018 – Philadelphia, PA
    A 32-year-old man was shot and killed outside of Lincoln High School during a basketball game. Police responded to reports of a fight, and said at least three different weapons were discharged. The school was put into lockdown, according to the AP.
    Jan. 22, 2018 – Italy, Texas
    A 16-year-old student at Italy High School opened fire with a semi-automatic handgun in the school cafeteria. The gunman wounded a fellow student, who later recovered, the AP reported. The school was placed under lockdown, following the incident.
    Jan. 20, 2018 – Winston-Salem, NC
    A 21-year-old football player, Najee Ali Baker, was shot and critically injured following an altercation at a Wake Forest University party. Baker was taken to a hospital, where he succumbed to his injury, according to WTHI-TV.
    Jan. 10, 2018 - Sierra Vista, Arizona
    A 14-year-old student at Coronado Elementary School shot himself in the bathroom at school. The shooting was initially reported as an active shooter, forcing the school into lockdown. The seventh grader was pronounced dead at the scene, USA Today reported.
    Feb. 5, 2018 – Oxon Hill, Maryland
    An Oxon Hill High School junior was shot twice in a school parking lot, during what police say was an attempted robbery. The 17-year-old later recovered. The shooting took place on school grounds, but after school hours, AP reported.
    Feb. 1, 2018 - Los Angeles, California
    A 12-year-old student at Salvador B. Castro Middle School was charged with negligent discharge of a firearm after a semi-automatic rifle she brought to school went off. Four students were injured, and the school was placed on lockdown for several hours, USA Today reported.
    Feb. 8, 2018 - New York, New York
    A 17 year-old student fired a gun, hitting the floor of a classroom at Metropolitan High School. Police took the student in custody, but no injuries were reported, ABC7 reported.
    Jan. 22, 2018 – Gentilly, Louisiana
    An unknown person in a pickup truck drove past The NET Charter High School and fired shots at students standing in the campus parking lot. One boy was injured, but not by gunfire. Two students were arrested on suspicion and the school was temporarily placed into lockdown, according to the The Times-Picayune.
    Jan. 15, 2018 - Marshall, Texas
    Gunshots were fired from a vehicle in the parking lot of a dorm at Wiley College. A bullet was found to have gone through a window into a dorm room, but none of the residents were injured.
    Jan. 10, 2018 - San Bernadino, California
    Gunshots came through a window at California State University. The university immediately went into lockdown. No suspects were identified and no injuries were reported, AP reported.
    Jan. 4, 2018 - Seattle, Washington
    Shots were fired by an unidentified shooter into an administrative office at New Start High School. The school went into lockdown, though no injuries were reported, according to KIRO 7.
    Jan. 26, 2018 - Dearborn, Michigan
    A fight broke out during a basketball game at Dearborn High School. School officials removed the two persons involved, who were not students. Shots were later fired in the parking lot, but no injuries were reported, according to WXYZ Detroit.

Jan. 25, 2018 - Mobile, Alabama
    A disagreement between two 16-year-old students at Murphy High School escalated when one of them pulled out a handgun. The student with the handgun then fled school administrators, who tried to calm him, firing four or five times into the air. Nobody was injured, according to Fox 10. The suspect was taken into custody and charged for multiple offenses, including possession of a weapon on school property.
    Feb. 5, 2018 - Maplewood, MN
    A third-grader at Harmony Learning Center pressed the trigger on a school liaison officer's gun. Although the weapon was outfitted with a trigger guard, it discharged and hit the floor. No injuries were reported.
    Jan. 10, 2018 - Denison, Texas
    A student at Greyson College picked up a gun, belonging to an advisor. She discharged the weapon, believing it was not loaded and shot through the wall. There were no injuries and no charges filed, KXII reported.
    January 3, 2018 - St. Johns, Michigan
    A 31-year-old man died by suicide in the parking lot of East Olive Elementary School. There were no students or staff at the scene, because the school had been closed for seven months, WILX reported. This is the incident Everytown decided to remove from their list of school shootings.
  • snake284snake284 Senior Member Posts: 22,394 Senior Member
    sgtrock21 wrote: »
    Since we are only 6 weeks into 2018 that seemed incredible! I watch national news on TV and check it on the internet daily. The only 2018 school shootings I have seen reported is one Kentucky school shooting in January with two fatalities and the February 14th school shooting in Florida with 17 fatalities. Why were 16 school shootings not reported? The only recent mass shootings I remember being reported is Las Vegas, Nevada October 1st 2017 58 fatalities. Texas church November 5th 2017 26 fatalities, and Northern California November14th 2017 5 fatalities. The shooter could not access an elementary school and fired as many as 30 rounds at the building resulting in no injuries. Again, where are the 16 unreported school shootings in 2018? Could Everytown possibly be manipulating statistics to further their agenda? If they are please realize they are doing it entirely for the safety of our Children and Grandchildren! Barf!

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2018/02/16/florida-massacre-no-there-have-not-been-18-school-shootings-in-2018-heres-why-thats-all-wrong.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/no-there-havent-been-18-school-shooting-in-2018-that-number-is-flat-wrong/2018/02/15/65b6cf72-1264-11e8-8ea1-c1d91fcec3fe_story.html?utm_term=.22907adcd20b

There were 2 or 3 I read about in January and one more church shooting in Corpus Christi, also in January, I believe. But 18? Either I've been asleep or somebody's full of Sheist!

I personally don't consider most of that list as School Shootings as in Mass Murder. This is Leftist BS Propaganda.
    Daddy, what's an enabler?
    Son that's somebody with nothing to do with his time but keep me in trouble with mom.
  • john9001john9001 Senior Member Posts: 668 Senior Member
    18 school shootings this year and that's just the South Side of Chicago. :guns: